Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 23:10   #1

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Shark Fishing

No worries mate, thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney
a deckie on a shark fishing boat out of Gove in NT.

Were you guy's sharking for grey's? You know those abalone divers in SA are crazy (plenty of big sharks down there )

Here's a couple of pic's of some sharks (sorry about the quality, they're low dpi (quick) scans with some minor gamma touch up in gimp).

Click the pic's to enlarge.

Mid size blue shark (6').

Attachment 4149

Mako shark (10'+). Was hanging around the boat being a PITA. We threw over the shark hook & it took the bait. Note the cut behind its head, that was from it swimming under the prop (although we were trying to keep him on the surface).

Attachment 4150

And here's its head (my current avatar).

Attachment 4151

Here's another big one that was swimming around us being a PITA & took the hook This one got caught up in the rope & floats (end of longline). We just wrapped up his tail & towed it backwards for a while (trying to drown it), this makes it easier (& safer) to cut off its head.

Attachment 4152

Head nearly cut off. We've done this in the past on another, we were about half way through its head & it woke up & took off (broke off the hook) back down into the water, don't think it would've lived too long

As you're probably aware, you've gotta have your wits about these sharks, even on deck as they can surprise you & fishtail around & lock (bite) onto you (this happened to a NSW fisherman a few months back). I've had smaller Mako's try to attack me on deck but the big ones you gotta deal to them quickly.

Attachment 4153

This is the head of another (caught while “laying to” overnight while trolling on the tuna).

Attachment 4154

And here's the jaws of another one caught on the tuna (this pic was taken in Picton (Wheels hometown), to the left is the car bridge for the ferries).

Attachment 4155

Edit: hmmm... maybe I should've put this in the gallery, instead of plastering your thread, sorry cagney
ntid=4184&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1215083640[/IMG]
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 23:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz

Were you guy's sharking for grey's?

We where sharking for just about anything that got stuck in the net...., preferably around 5 feet. Those made a nice fit in the trays when processed. Anything bigger than that was filleted and sold on the local Oz fish and chips market. The rest including the fins went to Taiwan, if I remember right.

Quote:
"As you're probably aware, you've gotta have your wits about these sharks, even on deck as they can surprise you & fishtail around & lock (bite) onto you.."

True..., always had a machete handy. From a handling point of view I liked the hammerheads with their built in handle.You had to be really careful with the sword sharks though. Nasty piece of "handle" on those. Luckily you only find them on mudflats and in rivers.

Ok, I better stop here. Gribs aren't even close to sharks. Maybe there should be a separate shark-thread a well.....

Quote:
but why not put the pics in the gallery anyway?

Good point, will get onto it soon

The only sharks we really sold (for "fush 'n chups" ) were the grey's. The blue's & mako's we could sell the fins, but the mako's have a high mercury level & the blue's don't taste too good.

Quote:
Ok, I better stop here. Gribs aren't even close to sharks. Maybe there should be a separate shark-thread a well.....
I'm sure there's a *nix program out there with the word "shark"

Quote:

I'm sure there's a *nix program out there with the word "shark"

No problem mate, try Wireshark: Go deep.
Attached Thumbnails

[IMG]http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/../attachment.php?attachme

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 00:05   #3

Boat: Lotus 10.6
This is one confusing thread!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 00:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah hopefully I will get it cleaned up at some time. I stuffed up trying to navigate the software and trying to get a few posts from one thread to a new thread. But wheels had a boo boo.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 00:22   #5

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Many thanks to Wheels for moving the thread text, here's the pic's again

Quote:
a deckie on a shark fishing boat out of Gove in NT.
Were you guy's sharking for grey's? You know those abalone divers in SA are crazy (plenty of big sharks down there )

Here's a couple of pic's of some sharks (sorry about the quality, they're low dpi (quick) scans with some minor gamma touch up in gimp).

Click the pic's to enlarge.

Mid size blue shark (6').

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue_shark_01.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	4185

Mako shark (10'+). Was hanging around the boat being a PITA. We threw over the shark hook & it took the bait. Note the cut behind its head, that was from it swimming under the prop (although we were trying to keep him on the surface).

Name:	shark_head_10.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	4186

And here's its head (my current avatar).

Name:	shark_head_06.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	4187

Here's another big one that was swimming around us being a PITA & took the hook This one got caught up in the rope & floats (end of longline). We just wrapped up his tail & towed it backwards for a while (trying to drown it), this makes it easier (& safer) to cut off its head.

Name:	shark_rope_01.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	4189

Head nearly cut off. We've done this in the past on another, we were about half way through its head & it woke up & took off (broke off the hook) back down into the water, don't think it would've lived too long

As you're probably aware, you've gotta have your wits about these sharks, even on deck as they can surprise you & fishtail around & lock (bite) onto you (this happened to a NSW fisherman a few months back). I've had smaller Mako's try to attack me on deck but the big ones you gotta deal to them quickly.

Name:	shark_rope_02.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	4190

This is the head of another (caught while “laying to” overnight while trolling on the tuna).

Name:	shark_head_01.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	4188

And here's the jaws of another one caught on the tuna (this pic was taken in Picton (Wheels hometown), to the left is the car bridge for the ferries).

Name:	shark_jaws_01.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	4191
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 03:14   #6

Wow, you got some great pictures there and I bet it was an amazing experience as well.

Tags
fishing