Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 15:18   #16

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Ship Turning Circle Diameter

I can't tell what's what on a moonless night near the coast. I see lights but often have no idea if I'm looking at land or vessel and if it is a vessel how far away is it and how big is it.

That's why I'm getting radar..........but if these guys with every gadget imaginable can't miss each other I'm not sure my problems are solved like I thought they would be.

I would have thought if everything was functioning as it should it would not be possible to accidently collide ? Maybe it wasn't and accident ?
Old 20-06-2017, 15:27   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dave, Dave, Dave....

Haven't you ever seen the X-Files? Your homework tonight is to go out and rent the complete series on DVD. There will be a quiz on Monday morning, so get started.

The containership captain will not be allowed to make any public statement, because he was in fact on duty on the bridge, and he saw that the USN destroyer did not appear on his radar. This cannot be allowed to be made public, because the USN's new total stealth marine paint (made nearby at the Japanese home of TDK, where they famously made magnetic coatings for recording tapes) is a classified secret.

This is a matter of national security, compounded by a sailor who fell asleep on watch.

Or, perhaps their coffee was all drugged?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 15:41   #18

Boat: 2016 Bayliner Element

Hello,
This is all very sad. Propeller and unbalanced or semi balanced rudders usually turn tighter at a slower speed. Less advance and more transfer. Maneuvering characteristics are usually posted in the wheelhouse. The Navy ship has much better characteristics than the container ship. The ability of the steering system to get the rudder on is a big factor. In US rudders must go from hard over to hard over in 35 seconds.
Im not familiar with the area.
My prayers are with them
Chas.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 15:59   #19

Boat: O'Day 28
Angry Re: Ship Turning Circle Diameter

This is a matter of national security, compounded by a sailor who fell asleep on watch.

Man I'd hoped we were technologically beyond asleep at the wheel.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 16:23   #20

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dave, Dave, Dave....

Haven't you ever seen the X-Files? Your homework tonight is to go out and rent the complete series on DVD. There will be a quiz on Monday morning, so get started.

The containership captain will not be allowed to make any public statement, because he was in fact on duty on the bridge, and he saw that the USN destroyer did not appear on his radar. This cannot be allowed to be made public, because the USN's new total stealth marine paint (made nearby at the Japanese home of TDK, where they famously made magnetic coatings for recording tapes) is a classified secret.

Or, perhaps their coffee was all drugged?

I'd never thought of the X Files as a documentary before but................Ok, sounds legit.

So the USN ship is like a big swipe card...............I'm with it now (maybe they thought it was tap and go)

:-)