Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 00:55   #2206

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Re: Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mate Group

Oh my, Ive been so busy having fun and living life I forgot to read my emails for a while. Life is good here....no....life is GREAT here! Wish Id come here eons ago. Still cant get my fill of pineapple and mangos though! As for women, there are many here. Some are awesome. Most are decades younger than the men they date. Sweet. Its a different world in these parts and Im loving it! (every time I hit the apostrophe key I get thrown down to links, why that happens I dont know, but now you know why you arent seeing any in this post! Strange that!)

Regards,

Thomas
Old 02-03-2011, 00:57   #2207

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Ohhhh another quick update. No explanation, but for some reason Ive dropped about 60 pounds since coming here!! Too much pineapple or maybe the women are too friendly, not sure, dont care, just loving it!! ;-)

Regards,

Thomas
Old 02-03-2011, 01:50   #2208
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Hey guys,

This woman, Barbara, has posted her profile and desires in our SSSSM social group site. She may have picked you two to send (blind) emails to because of your sexy good looks. Yeah, sure i'm serious! So if it's a scam, it's a pretty focused one.

Do you guys ever actually go to that site to read about the women who have taken the time to post their profiles? Or do you just hang here waiting for ladies to come to you. If so, shame. We can't do all the work! LOL

Margo
Thats why I did not post her name or pictures, only the content of her e-mail- that seemed to be -"fake" and I say fake because when a woman has to give me her measurements to get my attrition then It puts up red flags-I’m more interested in a woman whose developed herself in a spiritual loving way- one that is well rounded in mind, heart .. and body would be nice too- but who knows maybe she is really looking-

I myself have not really been looking here or anywhere- even though there are a lot of Very nice woman here I’m sure are more than fine- but all far from where I am at the moment- Truth is at this point in my life my cup runith over
Old 02-03-2011, 05:34   #2209
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mate Group

Quote:
Hey guys,

This woman, Barbara, has posted her profile and desires in our SSSSM social group site. She may have picked you two to send (blind) emails to because of your sexy good looks. Yeah, sure i'm serious! So if it's a scam, it's a pretty focused one.

Do you guys ever actually go to that site to read about the women who have taken the time to post their profiles? Or do you just hang here waiting for ladies to come to you. If so, shame. We can't do all the work! LOL

Margo
Hi Margo... actually no I don't 'cruise the profiles' any more than I cruise bars for women... I prefer the gradual approach and in person...
I've found the net is to often like the cartoons that circulate.. ie fat old guy in dirty vest n briefs typing that he's a big shot and drives a Porsche Carrera and beings answered by an equally gross female with curlers and 2 week old make up saying shes 35 and stunning...
There are folk who thrive on this form of romance but I am not one... not when there's so many across the way I can see, smell and touch...
Oh.. and I'm not a member of SSSSM...
And advice to any future females here... try a friendly PM first... an e-mail like the ones Ram and I received are guaranteed to raise suspicions...
Finally...
Barbara... my apologies if the debate below has caused you any embarrassment but when your spam box is constantly overflowing with offers of wealth, love and sex... all from the African region or the Philippines... one tends to back away from anything similar... fast.
I wish you well...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 02-03-2011, 05:48   #2210

Boat: Tartan 34C

I know whatcha mean.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I can only manage once a nite these days....
.....and one in the morning.

Afternoons are sorta "iffy". <sigh>

John
Old 02-03-2011, 06:11   #2211

Oops - I guess Margo covered the a.m. issue.

On a broader note.....

....I'm moving aboard. Unemployment has dictated my actions, and so I'll be saving my rent money while I work on the boat. Now, this is no Formosa 41 - you could put my boat on Zee's deck and call it a dinghy. I have a Catalina 27, and my challenge is how to downsize a small apartment full of furniture and "stuff", and a 10' x 20' (3m x 6m) storage unit full of furniture and "stuff", so that a couple of friends are holding some heirlooms and a few personal items, while I pack everything I want to keep into a space roughly the size of a minivan.

There is also the idea that I have to carry enough "stuff" to be comfortable and still have room to move around while not sinking the boat.

And there's one other thing - after living a typical American middle class life, raising 3 kids, and being a good little consumer since I was 20, it's hard to just let go of the accumulation of a lifetime. Sure, most of it has no great emotional content, and most has been acquired since 2002, but there's a process to unwinding one life as you start another, and I'm having some trouble sorting between the "sell", "give away", "store", and "boat" categories. You folks "know" me as well as any other CF subset, so any practical or procedural cues you people can give me would be appreciated.

Im starting a new thread called "Go small, go now?" so that I'm not guilty of hijacking THIS thread. I'll look forward to your comments.

John
Old 02-03-2011, 07:58   #2212
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Feral - getting rid of the stuff won't be a problem. You just have to do it - sales fairs; craigs, ebay etc. It can be quite enjoyable as you meet new people aside from getting cash. Might turn into a new job!

The hardest part is letting go of shore, and the acclimation into the lifestyle. You need to give it the time. Living on board for a while is good, and taking a few shorter cruises marks for good training. Just jumping into the mix and going - you'll make it across just fine, but when you get where you are going well...a lot of people never give enough transition time transition and react by selling their boats right away. They would have been better prepared if they weened their way into the lifestyle first - nothing to do with the sailing or repair skills. Thats not to say that others - people who never had a great deal of possessions or money can't transition faster or never need to. You have to evaluate your own considerations.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06   #2213
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

actually, the hardest part is repairing th e stuffing box....... the rest is a piece of cake.....ditching stuff is easy-- why ther eis good will and folks who take donations..... was easy.. the packing gland is another story...ongoing epic...trying to convince folks to do stuff in a manner affordable to me is difficult in a high dollar area....mexico, here i come..look out-- lol.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34   #2214

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
actually, the hardest part is repairing th e stuffing box....... the rest is a piece of cake.....
Actually, repairs like that are a piece o' cake for me - I'm a fixer/tinkerer by nature. Getting rid of my universe is a bit harder. I understand the limited value of "stuff", but I have to adjust my vision of who I am, since every picture and story in my life has that "stuff" in there.

But ya can't steal second with your foot on first....

John
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38   #2215

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Feral - getting rid of the stuff won't be a problem. You just have to do it. The hardest part is letting go of shore, and the acclimation into the lifestyle. You need to give it the time. Living on board for a while is good, and taking a few shorter cruises marks for good training.
You have to evaluate your own considerations.
SM - Thanks for your advice and insight. I'm trying to look ahead and avoid OPM - other peoples' mistakes.

Anybody need a lamp? Cheap? Jeez, I got lamps out the wazoo.

John
Old 02-03-2011, 12:38   #2216
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Re: making the move

Feral,

Zee is right that getting rid of the "stuff" is easy once you decide to do it. I used Craig's and listed a mix of stuff with prices and a bunch of free stuff. Much of the stuff is just a Target shop away if you ever decide to go back, and definitely not worth the price of storage. The truly valuable, hierlooms, photos, etc. are more problematic. For them I used a storage locker. My son has my car.

But then, I had already moved 3 times in 5 years each time downsizing, and the once across the country, so shrank to size of UHaul. So the advice of doing this in stages is good. Give yourself time to decide what's really important. Once some of it is gone, reward yourself with a cruise - go crew for someone.

There's so little room on a boat for stuff, except spares, tools, provisions, you need to think closer to zero stuff for you.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49   #2217
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Re: just hangin

Ram, Phil and Thomas,

Ah, very revealing. So you guys are just hangin' here to brag about your conquests and give advice to all the poor lonely hearts? Hah! Go do it elsewhere - we don't need your stinkin' advice!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 02-03-2011, 13:31   #2218

Re: making the move

Quote:
you need to think closer to zero
Bingo.

That's my new motto: Think closer to zero. Very Zen, very real.

John
Old 02-03-2011, 14:23   #2219
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: just hangin

Quote:
Ram, Phil and Thomas,

Ah, very revealing. So you guys are just hangin' here to brag about your conquests and give advice to all the poor lonely hearts? Hah! Go do it elsewhere - we don't need your stinkin' advice!

Margo
I think your off a bit here MARGO, - I’m not bragging about any conquests –nor did I give any advice in this thread about anything-For me it would be great to find that woman whose in perfect alignment with me and I with her- as I mentioned before quote" I myself have not really been looking here or anywhere- even though there are a lot of Very nice woman here I’m sure are more than fine- but all far from where I am at the moment- Truth is at this point in my life my cup runith over " simply means I don’t have time right now ‘ of course if the right woman came along I would make time, but I’m not actively going out looking-like many of us here I’m very busy working, along with helping to raise my 2 grand children 5 months a year-,I am overwhelmed trying to live abroad and run a biz 7 months a year in the MED and 5 months a year in Fl-I don’t have a lot of time to pursue the kind of relationship of depth that we all want-, I put an ad here I suppose hoping at some point to have the time and could meet that special someone who likes sailing and living aboard, but its time consuming especially when you get a phony e-mails from woman who are scamming you-Im sorry that somehow I and the other guys have pushed your button somehow, that was im sure no ones intent-I hope you find a nice man that loves you for who you are!
Old 03-03-2011, 19:29   #2220
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mate Group

Back off Margo... I'm not having a go at anyone.... maybe it came over wrong...
It was just meant to be a simple statement that an offer of love by e-mail from a person who's a total stranger with no explanation other than a vague reference to a sailing site...
and I'm still a member of a coupla 3...
tends to make one reverse fast and wonder 'what up'...
and when Ram posted his 'Mail' the penny dropped it was here....
it was meant to be a heads up on strange happenings...
hackers.. whatever... this stuffs fairly new to me... but I watch Hollywood...
Everyone on my friends list has behaved impeccably and befriended me in the CF format... and thats the way it should be... its comfortable..

30yr olds outa the blue scare the **** outa me... its not normal... they usually run the other way....
I Promise to stop posting on here... I'm obviously too insensitive....

Oh..!! I Don't suppose you've gotta light... please...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate