Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-06-2009, 14:23   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Erika, you are a fox (yes, I peeked at your profile galleries), and this forum (and the broader sailing community) is about 85% male. You will have a very long line of applicants. Smart move. I suggest you have fun and take a few samples before settling on any one. You only live once.
Old 27-06-2009, 15:11   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Thanks for the feedback and compliments . I like the idea of linking the group in our signature.
Cheers,
Erika

Here is the link
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oul+mates.html
Old 27-06-2009, 15:14   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
That would definitely be OK!
Old 27-06-2009, 15:29   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Thanks for the feedback and compliments . I like the idea of linking the group in our signature.
Cheers,
Erika

Here is the link
I was thinking like:-

Sexy Sailors Seeking Soul Mates - JOIN NOW!
Old 27-06-2009, 18:29   #20

Boat: Buizen 48
Making the new forum "head and shoulders" above others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I think a good way to check character/personality is to search their previous posts.
Cheers,
Erika
In addition to my earlier idea regarding photos (it should be interesting to see how many "members" have the courage to do that), I discovered another idea, that ironically was an advert on the bottom of the thread page when I looked at this thread yesterday: a web site called "be2", a personality based partner search (I was not aware of it's existance before seeing the advert): www.be2.com

As we all know, living within the confines of a yacht can challenge anyone's ability to get along with others. Thus why not know "up-front", based on your individual personality preferences, the degree to which you and someone might be compatible or not, why, what would be the relationships strengths, and what you both would need to do in order to effectively address your respective differences???

Of course like most of these "seek someone" sites you can register, do a profile, identify possible matches, but must then pay them to contact a listed match.

The cool thing with this site is that anyone on the new CF forum, could have their be2 profile developed, include their be2 "handle" in their CF profile, and both individuals would learn up front their capatibility scores, along with an explanation of the strengths and challenges that would exist between two individuals along seven different personality trait/value continuums including:
Rationality vs. Emotionality
Tradition vs. Innovation
Introversion vs. Extroversion
Individuality vs. Adapability
Distance vs. Attachment
Observation vs. Feeling
Structure vs. Integration

I "test drove" its profile questionnaire, had a profile generated, and was extremely impressed with the results. It is based on what in statistical terms is referred to as a "forced distribution" questionnaire, a type of questionnaire that tends to have high reliability and validity scores.

How impressed was I? Let's just say, if I were to meet anyone via CF, on the street, or now in some social situation, I would definitely suggest they develop a be2 profile for both our benefit.

Check it out .... it could really make this new forum "head and shoulders" above any others, in its ability to accomplish its goal.
Old 27-06-2009, 19:21   #21

BlueSovereign,
I was hoping to start this baby and then set it free.....
It is a great idea, I wouldn't even know how to go about adding that, maybe I can just put a link on the main page? I am not savvy with the internet, or forums. Do you want to help out in this? ........ello? ello?.... echooo...
Cheers,
Erika

Here is the link
Old 27-06-2009, 20:04   #22

Can someone go onto the singles group and tell me if you can see any bio postings. When I log out I can only see my bio post(?), there should be two bio posted, and I thought you'd be able to see em whether your logged in or not,
Learning as I go.
Thanks,
Erika
Old 27-06-2009, 21:00   #23

Boat: Buizen 48
Hi Erika

Yours is the only bio I see on the new forum ... something I was wondering about a few moments ago when I looked at it to answer your earlier query to me.

An area of focus of my consulting business is to work with all sorts of organisations to assist them to determine:
  • what data they need to gather (to acheive some organisational objective)
  • how best to gather it, and
  • how to analyze it, to obtain useful information
Thus I note that after ~24 hours:
  • 10 individuals have PMs on the thread (8 men, 2 woman)
  • Of that 10 there are 5 new forum members (2 woman, 3 men).
  • Both woman have fairly decent visible photos, but only one man has (and his is excellent)
Primary factors that will determine the potential success of this forum's endeavour on CF are:
  • The over-all size of the population on CF that this new forum could be applicable to
  • Willingness of members to participate (a relatively small percentage of people actually "sign up" with any 'partner search site' vs. "generate" a free profile on it ... and even a smaller percentage demonstrate patience and invest any length of time, i.e they give up quickly if they have no quick success)
I do not believe the new forum is listed as yet on the main "Discussion Board" page, which would help promote it. Perhaps you can investigate how that can be accomplished with Hud3 (moderator), as he has apparently endorsed the new forum's creation.

While I do believe my 'be2' idea "has legs", perhaps at this point in time 'be2's website should simply be listed as an option for individuals to use to gain a better understanding of each other.

I also think it would be worth stating in your description of the Social Group's purpose (BTW, I think you wrote an excellent intro) what is well known to all 'partner search sites': a photo significantly increases one's chances of sucess. This is why I originally mentioned that being a requirement, though in hindsight I could see why individuals might be reluctant to do that ... all the more reason why a 'be2' profile would be motivate some to share their photo with someone else, albeit if only privately.
However, one thing should be made manditory: a decent "bio" as you outlined, something that must be done within a certain time-line of joining (say 1 week).

FTR, I don't want to hyjack your "work in progress", seek to "take it over", or evn "put my stamp on it". Just trying to be helpful .... that's the nature of what I do for a living, both with organisations and individuals I consult to and/or coach.

William aka 'The PIRATE'
Old 27-06-2009, 21:13   #24

Hijack away! Wow, thanks for your professional insight, I really appreciate it. I will look into why I cant get the other bios up?? since I created the group I have a different view of the pages so I can't tell what the average CF viewer sees. I am going back to work on wednesday (been off for 4 weeks) so I want to get these kinks out while I have the time.
Thanks again for your input,
Erika

here is the site
Old 27-06-2009, 21:29   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
I see 2 bios in your group. Yours and one for captain465. So far it looks great!

Try forcing a a page refresh (ctrl/F5) to and see if that helps - you may be viewing old cached content.

Thanks for posting this group - i think it's a cool idea
Old 27-06-2009, 21:44   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I see the same two bios Janet mentioned, Erika, and another four members waiting for their bios to post. Good luck with your social group - you've worked hard to make it happen.

TaoJones
Old 27-06-2009, 22:02   #27

TaoJones,
I don't see the 4 bios waiting to post, is that a mod thing or should I be able to see them. I tried turning off the "messages must be approved" mode to see if that was keeping me from seeing them.
Singles members-Sorry guys for the wait, I'll get it right soon
Erika
Old 27-06-2009, 22:08   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
I think it's correctly set up. I don't see any posts pending approval - but can see six or seven members. I assume that they just haven't posted bios yet.
Old 27-06-2009, 22:12   #29

Thanks!
Erika
Old 27-06-2009, 22:55   #30
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm sorry, Erika. When I saw more members than bios, I made an incorrect assumption that they had written bios that were waiting somewhere for your approval prior to appearing on the group page. I hadn't realized that members could provide their bios at a later time.

Definitely go with Janet's guidance on how social groups work. She's the one who knows the site software inside and out, forwards and back.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate