Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 16:37   #631
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But I realised that for me too revealing. and the lists mostly the same
well...you could lie
Old 29-07-2010, 17:20   #632
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
well...you could lie
somehow , every time i read you two i end up with spewed coffee on my screen..this is getting to be serious waste of coffee!!!!! but ,please do NOT stop!!!!!
is excellent exercise, laughing!!!

"but i did hear the most accepted theory of what sank her was..... huge wave's of just the right frequency supported her bow and stern leaving the middle unsupported....and buckled her like my future bride in the bondAGE of matraMOANy...lol

(singing) I'm to sexy for my mizzen... to sexy for my mizzen(main)....as i do my little dance on the bowsprit.....(chorus)"

the only changes i would make -see above where i wrote them in..^^^main fits better there....
yeah, weather and seas and wrong position--will kill ye every time if yer not careful!!!!

Old 29-07-2010, 17:35   #633

Send a message via AIM to iwsteel
here ya go Zee

Name: SS Edmund Fitzgerald Owner: Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company Operator: Columbia Transportation Division, Oglebay Norton Company of Cleveland, Ohio Port of registry: United States Ordered: February 1, 1957 Builder: Great Lakes Engineering Works of River Rouge, Michigan Yard number: 301 Laid down: August 7, 1957 Launched: June 8, 1958 Christened: June 8, 1958 Completed: June 7, 1958 Maiden voyage: Sept. 24, 1958 Identification: Registry number US 277437 Nickname: "Mighty Fitz"
"The Fitz"
"The Big Fitz" Fate: Lost in a storm on 10 November 1975 with all hands General characteristics Class and type: Lake freighter Tonnage: Length: 729 ft (222.2 m) oa Beam: 75 ft Height: 38 ft Depth: 39 ft Installed power: As built:
  • Coal fired Westinghouse Electric Corporation Steam Turbine 2 cylinder @ 7,500 SHP
After refit:
  • Conversion to oil fuel and the fitting of automated boiler controls over the winter of 1971-72.
  • Carried 72,000 U.S. gallons (60,000 imp gal; 273 m³) fuel oil
Propulsion: One 19.5 ft diameter propeller Speed: 14 knots Crew: 29
Old 29-07-2010, 17:59   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwsteel View Post
Name: SS Edmund Fitzgerald Owner: Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company Operator: Columbia Transportation Division, Oglebay Norton Company of Cleveland, Ohio Port of registry: United States Ordered: February 1, 1957 Builder: Great Lakes Engineering Works of River Rouge, Michigan Yard number: 301 Laid down: August 7, 1957 Launched: June 8, 1958 Christened: June 8, 1958 Completed: June 7, 1958 Maiden voyage: Sept. 24, 1958 Identification: Registry number US 277437 Nickname: "Mighty Fitz"
"The Fitz"
"The Big Fitz" Fate: Lost in a storm on 10 November 1975 with all hands General characteristics Class and type: Lake freighter Tonnage: Length: 729 ft (222.2 m) oa Beam: 75 ft Height: 38 ft Depth: 39 ft Installed power: As built:
  • Coal fired Westinghouse Electric Corporation Steam Turbine 2 cylinder @ 7,500 SHP
After refit:
  • Conversion to oil fuel and the fitting of automated boiler controls over the winter of 1971-72.
  • Carried 72,000 U.S. gallons (60,000 imp gal; 273 m³) fuel oil
Propulsion: One 19.5 ft diameter propeller Speed: 14 knots Crew: 29
merci, mon cher! thankyou--answers my question ..did grt lakes shipping have anything to do -- glad they didnt!!!even if was after the sale of the company--someone asked if perhaps the owners werent grt lakes shipping is why it came up--i dont think about it but then ye mentioned the song which stimulated that question, so now i am able to answer the question that was posed to me..all because i read this forum.
Old 29-07-2010, 18:50   #635
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
somehow , every time i read you two i end up with spewed coffee on my screen..this is getting to be serious waste of coffee!!!!! but ,please do NOT stop!!!!!
is excellent exercise, laughing!!:
Coffee....ahhhh. My serious weakness!
Old 29-07-2010, 20:12   #636

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Quote:
I was going to follow up to Gadagirls challenge (to list things considered important in a relationship / partner) with the 3 top things you consider you bring to the table......and the 3 worst

I am a monster when;

I am being cut off emotionally from the one I love

a passenger in a car

I am sleepy

I am hungry

and sometimes when the hormones spike
Old 29-07-2010, 20:38   #637
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I am a monster when;

I am being cut off emotionally from the one I love

a passenger in a car

I am sleepy

I am hungry

and sometimes when the hormones spike
OK, who spiked the damn hormones? Can't a fella have a simple cup o' joe without the whole darn roof coming down?

Old 29-07-2010, 20:40   #638
cruiser

I am dehydrated

I am sleep deprived.

I lost another game of chess!
Old 29-07-2010, 20:43   #639

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
I was going to follow up to Gadagirls challenge (to list things considered important in a relationship / partner) with the 3 top things you consider you bring to the table......and the 3 worst

I drive like a bat outta hell (no "good Christian girl" in my driving)
I am grumpy when I want to sleep but can’t (really grumpy)
I rarely answer my phone, drives my friends crazy (I dislike phones intensely)

Actually, I think my friends should answer this. I know I have worse traits than the ones listed above...let me ask em. If you never hear from me again it is because they gave me some honest answers, lets hope one of their traits is not brutal honesty!

E
Old 29-07-2010, 20:48   #640
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
This is actually a good trait ... one that holds hope for humanity (in my humble (maybe), tired of phones everywhere, opinion).

Old 29-07-2010, 21:04   #641
cruiser

i HATE answering machines or message boxes. I hardly ever leave messages.

I am a neat freak. All my pencils point in the same direction. My waterbottles are all aligned with the handles pointed the same way. The milk cartons in the fridge are spaced 1" apart to allow cold air around them and the fronts with the date look toward the door.

My shoes are aligned at the door facing me in alphabetical order.

I'm obsessive about my parking spot and must have it because my lucky number is painted on it, so I rarely go outside.
Old 29-07-2010, 23:08   #642

saltymonkeyboy--you are scary. but you'd prolly be excellent crew.
fones are to be not answered. why doesnt the caller know this!!
i dont have to get pout of bed in the morning and kat doesnt mess with me for food until he sees my eyes are open...gooooood kitty!!!
i dont have to worry about spiking anyones hormoans.

i will leave messages but they wont always be nice....
Old 30-07-2010, 06:40   #643
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
LOL! that rings a bell . or doesn't

At the risk of exposing myself

..............Hold my beer and watch this ............(in no particular order):-
1) Humour

Pros - it's funny and a way of establishing communication and conveying more substantive ideas / matters / views to see how they are reacted to in a non-threatening and non-committal manner. As well as simply establishing if the other party a) has any SOH and b) whether it matches or is at least is tolerable

Cons - used to hide behind. and deflect more serious / probing questionning. or "enquiries".

2) Slow to Trust

Pros - Willing to take time to get to know someone. Once Trust established not constantly re-checked or doubted. It is what it is and that's how it is

Cons - aka Trust issues It takes a longgggg time for me to establish Trust.

3) Loyalty

Pros - Yer know that "crawling over broken glass thing"? that's a given. Figuratively. and Litteraly. cos' that's just how it is. I won't even go into what I would (have done) involving other people.

Cons - It's expected in return. (but on the litteral side of things I would settle on a partner being willing to wade through arms and legs with a Machete if a 1000 angry Zulu's came over the hill). Perhaps bordering on the somewhat obsessive on the loyalty thing

4) Understanding (of Human Nature)

Pros - I find people fascinating. And am pretty good at understanding what makes folks tick and allowing for that. It's why I don't expect perfection. nor seek it. Besides (for me) it's the interesting stuff that makes people interesting albeit not all of it would be chosen given a blank piece of paper........

Cons - I am find people fascinating, just don't neccessarily like them. And yer ain't getting perfection in return Errrrr....most of my understanding of Human Nature / behaviour is learnt. not so much inherent. and sometimes I get it wrong. Kinda like speaking a 2nd Language, 99% correct - but just not quite "right". But I do learn And more like Commander Data (for you Trekkies ) than Charles Manson ...........and I wouldn't lie about something like that. would I?

Old 30-07-2010, 08:36   #644

Boat: SJ23 1988
Ok... 3 worst traits...

1) I hate the phone. Can't stand it, there is little feedback other than words... you can't see reactions, expressions or stop the discussion where you want/need before either you insert foot in mouth with what you say or go deadly quiet... either option is not the end result desired.

2) I'm a do'er, if others can't, I'll just do it. I will not ask twice for something to get done. If it isn't done by the time I expect it should have been done, I'll just do it myself.

3) I love to teach, and will give input to anyone, if I think they need to know my thoughts... whether they want it or not.

4) I loath gifts. Please don't give me anything. I 'm not good a receiving gifts.

5) Demand loyalty/faithfulness

Ooops... maybe that was more than 3.....

3 best traits... well I think anyway..... some may dissagree.

1) I will not stop, what ever I'm doing, to take a Phone call, text, email what ever from someone else. When you have my attention, You have my full attention.

2) I will help, even if you don't ask. You don't have to ask me or pay me back. I actually don't like people to pay me back for anything I do of my own accord.

3) I will go above and beyond to aid in the safe operation of any vehicle, Air, sea, road, so as to make everyone as safe as possible.

4) my background is QA...... maybe thats good... but it might just as well be Bad. Depends on who I'm working with.
Old 30-07-2010, 09:53   #645

Send a message via AIM to iwsteel
mizzen

I picked mizzen cause if i need to use jizzin in the second verse in case i gotta drop the j-bomb in the future... it'll rhyme.

But main and pain will work in the third verse for sure....

And as far as lol goes...i'v been told it stands for everything from...laugh out loud...to...log off looser...to...love on line....to....lord of lords....to....lick on labia. i guess like... love,loyalty and such.... can have a different definition to each individual.

So now i pop the question

Hey Z lol?

(singing) I'm to sexy for my mizzen... to sexy for my mizzen(main)....as i do my little dance on the bowsprit.....(chorus)"

the only changes i would make -see above where i wrote them in..^^^main fits better there....
yeah, weather and seas and wrong position--will kill ye every time if yer not careful!!!!

I been dancing with death from a very early age....So far shes letting me lead.... but i know the dip is comming....lol....,.maybe even a Flop Drop n Roll if i'm Lucky. Save the last dance fer me!

[/QUOTE]
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate