Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:54   #841

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

CF's Single Sailors Flotilla. I might like it. Sounds like a burgee is needed.

I'm not a member of ssssm, but find the thread very entertaining. I think I must be sort of window shopping. My boat is already in Mexico and I'll be there learning her ways starting in October. If a flotilla were to form by Spring, well .... perhaps it could negotiate a free pass and floor show in French Polynesia ala Lat 38's coconut milk run, a group rate in the Galapagos, etc.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:57   #842
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Oh i don't know zee. I still see people mixing up the Soul Mate and Partner thing with the sailing thing. They aren't related. Just because you sail in a certain "style" most of the time doesn't have any correlation to how you express yourself with a partner.

Which bring me back to a question NO ONE has yet answered. NADA:

What would you do if you found your soul mate and everything was perfectly great, and you were happy and wanted to be with them but they didn't like sailing and didn't want to sail with you? Would you get rid of all that good will just because of that one issue??
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00   #843
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post

I'm not a member of ssssm, but find the thread very entertaining. I think I must be sort of window shopping. My boat is already in Mexico and I'll be there learning her ways starting in October. If a flotilla were to form by Spring, well .... perhaps it could negotiate a free pass and floor show in French Polynesia ala Lat 38's coconut milk run, a group rate in the Galapagos, etc.

I wanted to form a SSSSSSSM around the world rally - which keeps going around and around the world never ending. members drop in...find their soul mate...drop out.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:07   #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I wanted to form a SSSSSSSM around the world rally - which keeps going around and around the world never ending. members drop in...find their soul mate...drop out.
Sounds good to me. As long as one can sail off on their own and rejoin down the line, I'm in. I'll bet such a group could have a dozen members without half trying within 6 months.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:08   #845
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post

a float-illa??? i think i am aiming at panama and points east --my ketch would love the caribean and i dont want to go to polynesia yet---not until after my yard work in puerto escondido--destination after that is still to be determined--

where in mexico are you?? mebbe ye can pick me up for a sail while i am on the hard....should be there in dec some time.....
Old 06-08-2010, 10:20   #846

I have four routes in mind and am suspending judgment on 'em until I feel comfortable with my new girl. The Caribbean used to be attractive but seems to be getting very crowded and expensive now. The other routes are around the Americas, a loop to Hawaii, Vancouver and back down the west coast, and sw through the Pacific.

I'm in Guaymas now but will probably move over to la paz by December once the ha ha clears out. Let's see how things go, but your offer of crewing is interesting and I'll keep it in mind.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:30   #847
cruiser

speakeasy - I'd vote for the loop.

As for RTW SS Rally, no reason there cannot be auxiliary groups locally to hook up with great people. A South Pacific charter etc.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54   #848

Boat: Tartan 34C
POF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
beats trying to advertise in pof
POF? WTF?

J
Old 06-08-2010, 10:56   #849

Quote:
speakeasy - I'd vote for the loop.

As for RTW SS Rally, no reason there cannot be auxiliary groups locally to hook up with great people. A South Pacific charter etc.
There was a sociological study done back in the 70's that showed that no group larger than 19 adults, could successfully all interrelate together. The study was used by teachers, among others, fighting to reduce class size. I ran across it visiting a theater commune outside Santa Fe that was one of four different components of the whole. One group was on a large sv in Australia at the time, one in Europe and one in So.Amer. if memory serves.

I must say, it is heartening to see how many more women sailors there are now than say, 15-20 years ago, when Lat 38 was filled will letters of men lamenting their SO wouldn't go.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:21   #850
cruiser

speakeasy - my readings on social groups and anthropological sources indicated that a group of 9 was optimal for a small tribe. Something like 120 people was optimal for a larger tribe because people cannot remember everyone in the larger group as it gets bigger than that. Also, self sufficiency is a myth. People do need to live in groups in order to survive. There is 1) not enough resources to make it on your own 2) there is just too damn much work to be done in a day for one person.

I'm extremely impressed with the number of females out there sailing these days, not for my dating reasons. Means quite a bit of change not only as an expression of woman's rights and spunk to create their own lives etc, but also a mark on freedom.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:38   #851

when i was growing up, my grandmother, mom's mom, told me "ladies dont sail"

LOL then i aint no lady , danmmit!!! DESPITE HER EFFORTS, I SAIL......

i wouldnt debut, either--that really got her!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39   #852
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Which bring me back to a question NO ONE has yet answered. NADA:

What would you do if you found your soul mate and everything was perfectly great, and you were happy and wanted to be with them but they didn't like sailing and didn't want to sail with you? Would you get rid of all that good will just because of that one issue??
I'd choose the woman over the boat. (but I've not been bitten by the long distance sailing / crusing bug in the same way as some others. The simply messing around in boats thing - whether home or abroad - is my cup of tea, just may involve some cruising / long distance sailing)......so in practice I would keep the boat, as me not being allowed some shed / wandering off time would i itself be a deal breaker - the fact it was on a boat is incidental.

More to life than boats No ambitions to settle down to a life forever afloat..........in the fact the idea makes me shudder
Old 06-08-2010, 11:42   #853
cruiser

Thanks, David. That was a very healthy response.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:45   #854

no discussion--i keep my boat--wouldnt be able to sell my home until i knew for sure he wasnt gonna do the same as everyone else does...i will have my security --i might run away and sail opb, but i always have my home/boat to return to if things head south in the wrong sense. -
self reliant is a better descriptor sometimes than self sufficient. states the reality of life.

oh--pof=plentyoffish, a dating site lol...almost as bad as bar hopping...
Old 06-08-2010, 11:46   #855
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when i was growing up, my grandmother, mom's mom, told me "ladies dont sail"
Boy did you show her wrong!!!

Its all very healthy
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate