Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 11:48   #856
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Yup, theres no reason to not have a boat and a healthy relationship. They don't always have to align perfectly with each other to exist and work out.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:49   #857

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
You're not reading correctly your own prologue. There is nothing in your statement here that says a soul mate has to be on your boat 100% in ALL conditions and ALL passages, only about sailing in general. I already gave my opinion regarding sailing offshore in the deep blue which I have a strict restriction on.
If you're wanting to make this an exclusive group, barring people from joining in discussions unless they meet strict conditions, then you need to make that very clear what those conditions are. And if it's going to turn into that kind of click and with inbred members, well, no thank you. We already see enough of that. Sorry to offend your expectations about people.
Sorry if my wording is not clear enough, I am not a writer and am learning about social groups as I go. This group is about finding a mate to sail with. No, there are no requirements of sea time. You are welcome to post here, we have many that contribute. But, I do want to keep us on track about our goals as members. If those goals don't coincide with yours then by all means start your own group. That is another great thing about this forum social group stuff, we can form groups of our own and as many as we want. I started this group with the hope of finding my cruising mate and in the process helping others to find theirs. We have 151 members!! but it ain't about quantity, it is about shared goals - finding a sailing mate. If you are a member and decide that this isn't the group for you, by all means remove your profile, others have and it is no skin off my back!

I hope this came out right, I really enjoy this group. Click on any profile and you will find an interesting and unique individual, even the ones that don’t post comments.

Salty thanks for pointing out my vagueness, it is good to reaffirm ones goals once in a while, especially with all the new folks.

Erika

PS
When I say "sailing mate" I am including the powerboat folks too!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:55   #858
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Thanks, David. That was a very healthy response.
Sometimes I wonder why I am still on CF.com

But it's threads like this that keep me hooked

Been very thought provoking, even if nothing new under the sun (including from yours truly ).........part of the human condition appears to involve muddling along, whilst scratching head from time to time. Possibly also a Monkey thing

Cheers folks
Old 06-08-2010, 12:11   #859

Send a message via AIM to iwsteel
Island Of Misfit Toys Seeking Soulmates Group

That'd be my group... I'm only here cause my main sail is made of stolden bra's from girls i dated...LOL

Land Ho!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:12   #860
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
lol--i know-when she told me that, i climbed out the window when she was napping and ran to my uncle's to see if we could go sailing--was only 5 miles----iwsteel--you are hilarious--so your main has many pockets in which to trap wind.......
Old 06-08-2010, 12:12   #861
cruiser

I think the range can stretch from:

Living onboard together and cruising FT with your Salty Mate

to

Living onboard together some of the time and cruising PT with your Salty Mate

to

Not living onboard together at all or sailing together but still having your Salty Mate.

and still being both happy and leading fulfilling lives, despite the projections, pretentions, and intentions of certain folks.

ex:

Middle ground case might be someone who generally has a career they enjoy and is fulfilled by, and might not be willing to just take off into your lifestyle FT, but be willing to meet up with you in certain places. Or you might be willing to sail locally once you get that journey out of your system.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:13   #862
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lol--i know-when she told me that, i climbed out the window when she was napping and ran to my uncle's to see if we could go sailing--was only 5 miles
Now THAT is the sign of a born sailor!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:18   #863

Send a message via AIM to iwsteel
i desoigned it to reach for the Cumulo Mammatis..or however u say it(booby) clouds.....Weeeee I Can FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Old 06-08-2010, 14:47   #864
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Salty,
I am a bit confused, and I must admit I haven't read all your posts. I was wondering, are you looking for a mate to cruise with?
E
I had the same question in an earlier post, not expressed so gently and clearly. Salty, though clearly a wonderful guy, seems a confirmed single sailor. Hence the question. Is he actually looking?

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 06-08-2010, 15:40   #865
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Sorry for that last post - jumped in the middle and didn't realize there were so many subsequent posts. Great conversation!

What has become clear now, from Ocean Girl questioning Salty, is that there's this big assumption that many of us made but that's not shared by everyone: that we're looking for someone to live aboard with full time.

How self-centered of me. Mea culpa. And even for me, cruising full time is what I want to do right now - who knows how soon that itch will be scratched and I'll want the land based weekend sailor thing!

No wonder it's hard to find someone.

For me, it's hard to believe in forever. Meeting someone to share cruising with for the next year or two is all the future I can see from here. Any more, such as development of true intimacy, would be a daily joyful surprise.

I think it would help if more of the people taking part in this ongoing conversation would post bios on the actual SSSSM forum. Then we would know more about each other's hopes and plans.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 06-08-2010, 15:47   #866

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
OK boys and girls......there's gonna be a Lynching!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
I had the same question in an earlier post, not expressed so gently and clearly. Salty, though clearly a wonderful guy, seems a confirmed single sailor. Hence the question. Is he actually looking?

Margo
Get a rope, find a tree, I say let's lynch him!!! Be done with Ole Salty!
Old 06-08-2010, 16:01   #867

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Whats the Name of this Group again.....
Old 06-08-2010, 16:18   #868

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Group name??

The name of this group is: Single Sailors Looking for Soul Mate......to Lynch!! yeah thats it
Old 06-08-2010, 16:35   #869
cruiser

I feel so....special
Old 06-08-2010, 16:41   #870
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
I think it would help if more of the people taking part in this ongoing conversation would post bios on the actual SSSSM forum. Then we would know more about each other's hopes and plans.

Margo
Continuing the theme of my previous post (about not sure why I am still on CF.com as no great plan to actually go anywhere ) am not entirely sure why I am on this thread - given I am not actually a member of SSSSM. Nor am I intending to be actively looking. and when I do go down that road again can't see me limiting my options to only those with boats / who love sailing or cruising. (in real life I ain't that good looking and charming to over limit my chances ). but won't rule that route out either (a 2 boat approach has a certain attraction) - but for that would be nice to have my own vessel ready to go. as well as the Skipper. Getting there though

But I don't let minor details like all that ever stop me giving an opinion

As such , my take on SSSSM was to act simply as a general intro wrapped around boats / cruising but the exact details of how the boat thing fitted into the relationship being left open as in reality everything boat / cruising is dependent on the practicalities involved (Countries / jobs / money / boats / onshore commitments and..........timing). Therefore the "requirements" of Monkey fit in as much as those of OG - even if unlikely (but not impossible ) that they will be the 1st SSSSM happy couple to tie the knot
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate