Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2012, 22:28   #166

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor

Can't wash your boat in the slip?...Why not?
Every marina has it's own rules. My dock, everyone has their own garden hose hook-up and a place for the hose. Makes it nice to keep the spiders washed off somewhat.
Old 06-08-2012, 00:08   #167

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Slapping Halyards

Lots of marinas don't allow you to wash your boat using their water - it a water conservation issue

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 00:30   #168

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Can't wash your boat in the slip?...Why not?
Here in the Mugla district of Turkey it is okay to use water to wash your boat but you cannot use cleaners of any kind. Water is sold by the ton and costs roughly $3 per 1,000 liters (approx 250 gallons). Yet some sailors are so darn cheap they are washing dishes and laundry in the marina restroom sinks.

As for the original posting regarding slapping halyards, my husband once could no longer stand the slapping halyard on a charter boat docked near us. He went over to them and said, "Here. Let me fix that for you."

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:45   #169
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
As for the original posting regarding slapping halyards, my husband once could no longer stand the slapping halyard on a charter boat docked near us. He went over to them and said, "Here. Let me fix that for you."

Judy
What an a-hole! he should have loosened your our halyard up some to get a band going. Tossed some food into the air to get the gulls to sing! Hoisted up the ships bell to the top of the mast.
Old 07-08-2012, 23:06   #170

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe

Here in the Mugla district of Turkey it is okay to use water to wash your boat but you cannot use cleaners of any kind. Water is sold by the ton and costs roughly $3 per 1,000 liters (approx 250 gallons). Yet some sailors are so darn cheap they are washing dishes and laundry in the marina restroom sinks.

Judy
Judy, your husband is top notch!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:17   #171
CLOD

Well it has been almost 2 years since I started this thread! Last year the boat in question seemed to "get it" after a middle of the night visit to secure their halyards.

The other weekend they tie up to their mooring for the first time this year. Secure their boat and put a couple of bungees on their main halyard (that took way longer than taking the halyard off the main and securing to something else). Call the launch to come get them, all the time both their main and spinnaker halyard are just banging away.

I wonder if they are just deaf (there were 4 on the boat), or if they just don't care even though they must know it is bothering others.

There were other people on the launch later that day from boats in the general area and it became a topic, so it isn't just me.

I haven't stayed on the boat at night on the mooring since they came, but I expect another visit is going to be needed. I probably need to wear a disguise as maybe they have a nannie cam setup as they must really believe that halyard needs to always be on the sail.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30   #172

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

We have have our boat on a mooring this summer and just got it out there last weekend, but didn't have a chance to sail until this weekend. Decided to just leave the halyard attached as it isn't a problem - just need to have enough slack in it. We also don't have any liveaboard's in the area either.

It does drive me nuts though when that is all you can hear
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:31   #173
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The thing I found interesting is that "non-load bearing" cleats on a pin rail or the shrouds for unused halyard storage are refered to as "courtesy cleats"....sort of explains it all. Of course in a culture where going out of your way to be courteous sort of runs against the grain...the same reason "boating etiquette" is ignored (why obey rules that are not enforced)...one of the things that burns me up...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37   #174
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Decided to just leave the halyard attached as it isn't a problem - just need to have enough slack in it. We also don't have any liveaboard's in the area either.

It does drive me nuts though when that is all you can hear
Isn't a problem, to who? I don't understand your point, you left enough slack in the line so it will have lots of line to slap???? What does liveaboards have to do with it, even people sitting on their boat in the afternoon trying to enjoy time on their boat don't want to listen to your lines instead.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:43   #175

We were out there half the day yesterday and it wasn't slapping at all. And if it did start to for some reason, there are not many boats around us, but I'm pretty confident it will be fine. If we find otherwise, we'll adjust.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:47   #176
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

When I do leave my halyards against the mast, they are tight and only make noise in heavy wind (the thump thump thump against the wooden mast is overwhelmed by whistling through rigging at windspeeds necessary to make it heard)...still better than ting ting ting of a metal stick.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48   #177
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
We were out there half the day yesterday and it wasn't slapping at all. And if it did start to for some reason, there are not many boats around us, but I'm pretty confident it will be fine. If we find otherwise, we'll adjust.

The wind was blowing pretty good yesterday and I've noticed that the boat in question slaps less then than when the wind is lighter, or it may be that the wind howling covers it up.

Just do the right thing and remove it, it only takes 30 seconds!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51   #178
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I haven't stayed on the boat at night on the mooring since they came, but I expect another visit is going to be needed. I probably need to wear a disguise as maybe they have a nannie cam setup as they must really believe that halyard needs to always be on the sail.
Were you that caped crusader? Dashing through the anchorage in the dark of night, righting wrongs and setting all right with the world?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caped crusader.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	61829  
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
The wind was blowing pretty good yesterday and I've noticed that the boat in question slaps less then than when the wind is lighter, or it may be that the wind howling covers it up.

Just do the right thing and remove it, it only takes 30 seconds!
Yeah, it was - I actually meant Saturday. We'll remove it next time.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02   #180
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Were you that caped crusader? Dashing through the anchorage in the dark of night, righting wrongs and setting all right with the world?

I knew there was a reason to wear my disguise to protect my true identity because someone would be taking pictures.