Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 11:05   #181

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Slapping Halyards

I was in a marina (liveaboard) with a couple of neighboring boats with slapping halyards. Spoke with marina manager on this. We discussed what I would do to correct, and he told me to go ahead and do it, and if the other boat owners had an issue with it to direct them to his office. Marina policy specifically mentioned that all boats needed to secure halyards and other lines to prevent noise from slapping. He hated it too, and was more than willing to give violators a speech on the subject.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07   #182

Boat: Rafiki 37

I absolutely abhor slapping halyards; mine, yours ... doesn't matter. Drives me absolutely nuts . I cruise to get away from obnoxious noise, so I go through a lot of effort to keep mine from making any sound at all while on the hook.

Our mast has all-external lines, which means it is nearly impossible to pull them all completely away from the mast. I've figured out a way to wrap the main around the mast so it snugs most lines tightly. But for the spinnaker and spare halyard I find the best solution is to leave them loose, looped over the lower spreader. As long as it's positioned properly, a floppy halyard won't generate enough energy to make noise when it hits something. It flops, but no sound.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21   #183
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
The wind was blowing pretty good yesterday and I've noticed that the boat in question slaps less then than when the wind is lighter, or it may be that the wind howling covers it up.

Just do the right thing and remove it, it only takes 30 seconds!
I used to be able to estimate wind speed pretty accurately in the marina by the noise level (starting at 20kt). You could hear a gust of wind coming across the marina ,the difference between a consistent sound of only 40kt and a gust of maybe 55kt.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:54   #184
Eternal Member

Even though thr tump thump thump isn't as bad as the ting ting ting....it bothers me enough to get up on deck in the middle of the night naked in the rain in a 50kt wind to fix it....the mast is keel stepped and the thump vibrates down into the hull...
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05   #185

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Where our boat was docked in previous years I always noted that the noisy halyards had a way of getting quite!!!

YEAH!! RIGHT AFTER I TIED THEM DOWN WITH JUNK ROPE! After a few times the owners got the message. And don't give me the crap "why did you go on that boat?" Simple, to stop stop slapping halyards by inconsiderates who didn't give a damn! And if they had asked, I would have told them I tied them down!

We owned a sailboat for over 25 years. Never, ever would we allow our halyards to disturb others whether it was day or night.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30   #186
Eternal Member

Local hardware store in their "Dollar Store section" sell packets of bungees for 1$
The boat next to me which has enough moss growing on it for a small tree (3") to take root along with lichens and assorted other growth, below the waterline the prop and shaft are gone completely and there are sea anenomies with 4" stalks (the boat hasn't been used in over 10 years)....when I lived in Port Ludlow 5 years ago someone replaced the rotted yellow poly line with new dock lines.....a week later the owner went ballistic (apparently he gets upset if someone even suggests helping him). What I am getting at is some people take their boat very personally...they consider it "their space", as much as it might bother me I will not do anything to someone else's boat with out their permission (putting out fires and such not included). One nice thing about a big heavy wooden boat is most of the ting ting ting is muffled.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:46   #187

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

I had a marina neighbor with a weird sounding halyard slap but no apparent sign of the offending line, and tightening any line didn't change it. He was as annoyed as any of the rest of us. The problem was internal to the mast, and not a line. It was the wires for the masthead gear, and/or the wiring conduit come loose (if there is one in his mast). He may have to pull the mast to completely cure the problem, but at least he's on it.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 13:27   #188

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
I had a marina neighbor with a weird sounding halyard slap but no apparent sign of the offending line, and tightening any line didn't change it. He was as annoyed as any of the rest of us. The problem was internal to the mast, and not a line. It was the wires for the masthead gear, and/or the wiring conduit come loose (if there is one in his mast). He may have to pull the mast to completely cure the problem, but at least he's on it.
Usually, internal halyard or cable banging isn't loud enough to bother others nearby. But the external parts banging on the mast certainly do annoy. The trick (I think) is to make space to explain nicely to the owners, preferably when you feel mellow. If the area has even a 10% liveaboard occupancy, it'll annoy someone besides you. In addition to the benefit to the owners of being thought of as nice guys, if their mast is painted, the banging will flake off the paint, eventually, so that's another possible gain for them. Basically, we want them to change their behavior, and it's easier for them to change if they can see something positive happening.

If the owners prove recalcitrant, and the owner of the moorings doesn't want to deal with it, then I'd go over openly and shut the halyard(s) up, with really noticeable twine. This would then be the opposite of a reward. ["Look at that shocking pink ribbon those silly people have put on their boat" sort of deal.] There's always a danger with escalation, though, and if you don't want to accept that risk, then learn to think of the noise as being the sound of their wearing out their ropes faster; "God'll get 'em for it" eventually.

Ann
Old 03-06-2013, 14:08   #189
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
If you read the whole thread you will find out I have one of these guys a couple of rows over. Fortunately this guy hasn't shown up yet in the mooring and I can still hope, as I can not just go over and fix that problem.
Old 03-06-2013, 14:22   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Even though thr tump thump thump isn't as bad as the ting ting ting....it bothers me enough to get up on deck in the middle of the night naked in the rain in a 50kt wind to fix it....the mast is keel stepped and the thump vibrates down into the hull...

Yep. Been there, done that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 15:19   #191
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I always wonder if these occasional sailors also never realize that most of the halyard chafe my be the result of ping-ping-ping. It actually costs money.

Occasionally when returning to the boat I find I made a mistake and my boat is pinging. It's embarrassing, for me.
Old 03-06-2013, 17:05   #192

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

I'm probably in the minority but I like the sound of slapping halyards. Too much time in the yard, not enough time in the water I guess.
Old 03-06-2013, 17:34   #193

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

When we lived aboard in San Diego, there was a chronic, repeat offender who would head out with his buddies for a day sail in the harbor, come back to the dock and proceed to get pasted, partying until the wee small hours. They never silenced their halyards when they left the boat no matter how many times notes were left or complaints made the the marina manager.
Finally, someone went over to their boat in the dead of night after they had left, ran both the main halyard, head sail and spinnaker halyards up to the mast head.
There was quite a spectator gallery when they came down for their next sail!
The owner complained bitterly to the marina manager about sabotage to his vessel and I guess in a show of pique, the guy left his halyards loose to keep every one awake for a couple of nights and stayed aboard to try and catch whoever was messing with his boat.
When he finally left one evening, one of the offended liveaboards (not me!), went over and hauled all the halyards through the masthead blocks and coiled them up in the cockpit!
He left the marina for good under power about a week later, never to return.
I certainly wouldn't underwrite this kind of dramatic action but we were all glad to see him go. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 18:40   #194
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaftAndBaffled View Post
I'm probably in the minority but I like the sound of slapping halyards. Too much time in the yard, not enough time in the water I guess.
Not sure if I would go so far as to say I like the sound, but the sound does have a connection for me. After selling my last boat and living inland for twenty years I went to SF my wife and daughter on vacation. We were at a restaurant near the waterfront and after dinner we walked down to the bay and by a marina. They sound of the halyards slapping in the wind almost brought tears to my eyes. I knew then that I would have to get a boat and go sailing again one day.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 18:44   #195

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not sure if I would go so far as to say I like the sound, but the sound does have a connection for me. After selling my last boat and living inland for twenty years I went to SF my wife and daughter on vacation. We were at a restaurant near the waterfront and after dinner we walked down to the bay and by a marina. They sound of the halyards slapping in the wind almost brought tears to my eyes. I knew then that I would have to get a boat and go sailing again one day.
Eloquently put! Said it better than I could have.