Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 18:45   #196

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaftAndBaffled View Post
I'm probably in the minority but I like the sound of slapping halyards. Too much time in the yard, not enough time in the water I guess.
I'm with you, as I Love the sound... It puts me to sleep at night.... And just by chance, if anyone has an urge to come aboard my boat, without asking, for any reason, good or bad, i suggest they first give their sole to god, as when they step aboard, their ASS then becomes mine.
MY BOAT is my home, you dont trespass on my home. And anyone doing so on anyones boat that does not have proper athority deserves their ASS shot.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 18:52   #197

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

if you dont like the sound of slapping halyards why dont you sell your floating condo and buy one ashore so you can whine about the way people park their cars etc.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 19:01   #198
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
We were at a restaurant near the waterfront and after dinner we walked down to the bay and by a marina. They sound of the halyards slapping in the wind almost brought tears to my eyes. I knew then that I would have to get a boat and go sailing again one day.
The call of the sea... she will never let you go

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 19:27   #199
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The call of the sea... she will never let you go
Never.

Sailing is worse than drugs. First time I went sailing I was hooked for life.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 17:04   #200
CLOD

Boat: none

new season in the mooring field, new boats around me, new halyards slapping

lazy freakin people with a boat that don't seem to ever be on them
Old 27-05-2014, 17:43   #201
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
new season in the mooring field, new boats around me, new halyards slapping

lazy freakin people with a boat that don't seem to ever be on them
Sneak on board and put butter on them lines
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 18:27   #202

Boat: Westsail 32

I love the sound of halyards banging, what I cant stand is the sound of a noisy, polluting powerboats running their engines, generators. If I ever came back to my vessel and found some intolerant douche bag on board tying of my lines that person would be going for a swim.
Old 28-05-2014, 04:52   #203
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I love the sound of halyards banging, what I cant stand is the sound of a noisy, polluting powerboats running their engines, generators. If I ever came back to my vessel and found some intolerant douche bag on board tying of my lines that person would be going for a swim.

pots and kettles

only your boat allowed to make noise
Old 28-05-2014, 06:31   #204

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
pots and kettles

only your boat allowed to make noise
Absolutely not, I listen to all types of sounds at the marina I reside in some I like and some not so much. Drunken power boaters slewing around the "F" word, loud obnoxious people talking at the top of their lungs at all hours of the day, blaring stereos busting out a little rap music etc. However believing in the tenant of "Live and let live" I don't let it bother me to much. The point that I tried to "Not so delicately make" is that when we live close together people need to be reasonably tolerant of others or stay home or take a couple of sleeping pills. The tie off the halyards set falls into the intolerant group and one could ask were do you draw the line? Once we have tied off all the halyards in the world this type will all ways find something else to whine about. The docks are banging, the waves are slapping, the wind is blowing, the ducks are quacking and blah, blah, blah.

When you start advocating climbing on board another persons vessel and taking it upon your self to tie off ones lines you are advocating aggression and some people don't take kindly to that sort thing.
Old 28-05-2014, 06:35   #205
CLOD

[QUOTE=cburger;1551514

When you start advocating climbing on board another persons vessel and taking it upon your self to tie off ones lines you are advocating aggression and some people don't take kindly to that sort thing. [/QUOTE]

You call securing a line aggression, wow!
Old 28-05-2014, 07:25   #206

Boat: Rafiki 37

I agree that tolerance is required when living close to other people. We are not all the same, and noise is partially subjective. That said, basic respect for others is also required when living with others. Someone who forces me to listen to their music, their generator, their "loud obnoxious talking," is someone who needs a lesson in basic respect. So too with those fail to silence their halyards. If I can't carry on a normal conversation (~60 db) in my cockpit due to someone else's noise levels, then that noise is too loud.

I approach these situations with the assumption the person simply doesn't realize the negative impact they are having on others. If I can't easily move on, I try to politely ask them to turn down the noise. If you approach people in a friendly and non-aggressive way, then I find most respond positively. If you yell across the anchorage, telling them to "SHUT UP", then you're almost certain to be ignored or have the noise levels turned up.

Slapping halyards ARE very loud. Hollow masts amplify the sound and send it ringing across a calm anchorage. The offending boat may not realize the impact they are having b/c it can be quieter on their boat than elsewhere. This is why I would talk to them in a respectful and calm way. Stepping onto someone else's boat and tying off their halyards could be considered an aggressive action, but if the owner is nowhere to be found, and other options have been exhausted, I too might do the same. But I would either leave a note, or make efforts to talk to the owner as soon as possible.
Old 28-05-2014, 10:57   #207

First time i ever anchored out was at James Island san juans. I was camping onshore and all day was nervous about my boat drifting away. Looked at it every 10 minutes all day. Later that evening i could hear my halyards slapping an thought crap i forgot to secure them. But an hour later after dark i was VERY happy to hear that bell ringing sound, coming from the exact spot where i had anchored. Even woke in the middle of the night and could tell by the sound my boat had not moved an inch.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 11:02   #208

Boat: Catalina 30

Slightly edited:

"...when we live close together people need to be reasonably [considerate] of others..."
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 11:35   #209

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

One of the lessons that new cruisers have to learn is the etiquette involved in cruising. Old hands are (almost) always glad to give a bit of well-intentioned advice, whether it be about how to share a cleat, tie alongside, where to anchor relative to other boats, when/where to not run wind generators and gas generators, and a myriad of other picky little details that make rubbing along so much easier. Not letting your halyards slap is a very basic lesson. Most will give the benefit of the doubt the first night, but often a comment the next day. Repeated slapping is considered highly anti-social. Cburger's attitude that he will damn well do as he pleases and no one had better mess with him is far better received in the Good Ole US of A than in the cruising grounds of the world, where civilized folks respect each others' right to a pleasant experience. If you find tying off the halyards somehow either an onerous effort, or you just like pissing off the neighbors, then stay home - you will not like your reception.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 15:03   #210

Boat: Hunter 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I love the sound. It is like wind chimes. I find it very relaxing. I

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote