Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2014, 21:49   #256

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
... If this fails, next time I just untie the halyard and pull it to the top of the mast. Usually works
You're a real pal.
Old 18-06-2014, 06:01   #257

Boat: Hunter 27

I hope I don't anchor around you guys. I will end up having to sink someone's boat. LOL. I wouldn't sink one but I wouldn't be opposed to tripping into some noise concerned neighbor walking down the dock and accidentally make him go swimming.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 06:13   #258

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
I hope I don't anchor around you guys. I will end up having to sink someone's boat. LOL. I wouldn't sink one but I wouldn't be opposed to tripping into some noise concerned neighbor walking down the dock and accidentally make him go swimming.
So you're ok with assault and battery but too lubberly to tie yer halyards off?

I got yer bungees right here, Cap.

No charge.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 06:30   #259

Ha it is not A&B if you trip. The first thing the academy teaches you is " It is not what you know, it is what you can prove." Coming aboard a boat is trespassing, showing my how to quite my halyards is being neighborly. I did not even know it annoys people till I read this thread. Then I went to my Marina and asked the live aboard if it bothers them. They didn't mind but now I know and when I am traveling I will pay attention to it. See all the cool stuff we learn with all the off the wall topics. I learned how to keep good neighbors and you learned how to legally assault someone. It is all about sharing knowledge. Lmao

Old 18-06-2014, 06:54   #260

pirate Re: Slapping Halyards

There are plenty of good reasons to go on another's boat when the owner is absent from a safety and good neighbor standpoint. I have added halyards slapping to the list.

That other "Academy" and "tripping" stuff is silly internet talk, "Captain."

I presume that was some LEO reference but all it means to me is that you are likely one of the people I'd rather didn't carry a gun/badge. The wrong guys want those jobs and you've proven the point.
Old 18-06-2014, 06:58   #261
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't believe you have to prove anything, just have to convince a Judge.
I bet a good Lawyer could even stretch your "tripping" into someone and knocking them into the water to attempted murder.
I almost bought a boat from a lady in St. Augustine, reason she was selling was her husband fell off the dock, broke his neck and died. His was an accident of course, but people can and do get seriously injured in falls.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 07:41   #262

Ya in real life that is my luck. And just so you know my boat has no locks and if anybody needed to board it other than whining I am ok with it. As far as the LEO thing that is why I am not a cop because too many are for the wrong reason. But Ya I did go to an academy and have done real work. It is not me. I think sailing teaches us more about life and love the people and lifestyle.

Old 18-06-2014, 09:09   #263

pirate Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
Ya in real life that is my luck. And just so you know my boat has no locks and if anybody needed to board it other than whining I am ok with it. ...
The fact that you heard about loose halyards right here in this thread tells me the rest of the story. Beer says ya change yer mind about "whining" when ya get aboard for awhile. Peace mate.
Old 18-06-2014, 09:13   #264

Yep I do not live aboard. I am learning every day New stuff. In Detroit live aboard are a tough dying breed. So if you ever get to Detroit the beer is on me and you can educate me on the rest of the stuff I need to know to live the dream.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:23   #265
CLOD

Boat: none

I came into my mooring field the other in a good blow and after getting onto the mooring decided to sit in the cockpit and kick back a while.

While trying to peacefully read my book across the field is that sound; BANG BANG, BANG, BANG BANG BANG BANG

All from a boat named Songlines. Wonder what musical instrument the boat owner plays, must be drums.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:04   #266

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Halyard banging is the blissfull sound of paint being pounded off the mast. What about all that wind whisling through shrouds? Sail boats are just noisy creatures.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 17:14   #267

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Halyard banging is the blissfull sound of paint being pounded off the mast. What about all that wind whisling through shrouds? Sail boats are just noisy creatures.
Some noises you cannot cannot control, others such as banging halyards and running generators in an anchorage at night, you can and should if you have any consideration of others.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 22:21   #268
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I concede...

I personally like the sound of slapping halyards, along with buoy bells, seagull caws, dinghys crunching into transoms... It's all nautical and reminds me that I am not listening to police sirens, traffic or the neighbors beating their kids...

However the vast majority here seem to object so I will stow my halyards when in moorings and at port.

I do object to the sound of generators and if needed I will leave the mooring and find another place to drop hook.

I wonder though, how many go to moorings with a land based mentality that finds something/anything to complain about.

If you go to a known "nightlife" port and then complain about people partying on their boats at night with lights on deck till after midnight etc., I mean it's partially your fault. Go somewhere else...

Put people can be really stupid - One time we were dirtbiking and camped out in tents. An RV came in while we were riding. In their set up they carried their Hondagen 40 feet away from their RV towards us. It was closer to us than them! We knocked on their door and suggested a place they could put it. Fortunately they agreed 40 feet on the other side of their RV was acceptable cuz the other place we were gonna suggest putting their gen would have gotten ugly...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 20:14   #269

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Indeed they are, but it is usually a very nice sound. Wind through the shrouds is blissful...pounding, not so much.
Old 03-07-2014, 21:44   #270

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Leave it to Don to start a thread like this. As for me I will slip the slip in the AM for a romp till 4th of July barbeque calls me. Happy 4th USA. I hope you all are on the hook or splashing and dashing. Have a beer on me Don.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote