Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2015, 04:24   #331
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

I saw people on one of the bangers (boat is named Songlines ) last weekend for the first time since their boat showed up in the mooring field. I noticed their lines weren't banging while they were on the boat so this weekend I guess i'll find out if they only leave their lines loose when they aren't on the boat.
They left the lines banging, action was required! When I came back last last weekend I could tell they had been on the boat, because the line was back to the original banging spot.
Old 31-07-2015, 07:26   #332
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Put 'em on a winch and wind them up drum tight.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 13:45   #333

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
... simply detach the offending halyard(s) from their sails and hoist them to the masthead ... he'll have to pull the mast to retrieve them ...
Sounds more like a problem than a solution.

There is such a concept as vandalism and private property, and I say this having endured boat noise for quite some time.

First, try the friendly approach ("Ahoy, mate" ... etc.), then the "tie off as example" approach (and don't waste good shock cord on this), and then, ...

Well, ultimately, just move. Bear in mind that fools and unawares are still ubiquitous.
Old 01-08-2015, 14:59   #334
CLOD

Slapping Halyards

I'm starting to only way to make done people understand is to maybe cause damage

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-08-2015, 15:12   #335

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
I'm starting to only way to make done people understand is to maybe cause damage

I hate to harp on this, but it is really an "anti-solution" to go aboard another person's yacht to correct an issue that annoys you. You would not be happy if another individual came aboard your yacht to "fix" an issue that annoyed him or her.

The first route is to communicate, and then later, escalate (slowly, of course). Remember, you are not the first person afloat to encounter annoyances.
Old 01-08-2015, 16:48   #336
CLOD

Have you really read the thread?

Old 01-08-2015, 17:04   #337

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:

It never fails to amaze me how some people thinks the sun, the moon and the stars revolve around them and there needs.
Old 01-08-2015, 17:28   #338
CLOD

Slapping Halyards

You must be talking about the lazy slapping haystack people

I agree

Old 01-08-2015, 17:38   #339

+1

Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:22   #340

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
It never fails to amaze me how some people thinks the sun, the moon and the stars revolve around them and there needs.
Quote:
You must be talking about the lazy slapping haystack people

I agree
+1

It's the people who fail to understand that rights come with responsibilities that are the ones who seem to think the Universe exists for them alone.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:20   #341

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

It is funny, but I know a few people that believe the universe revolves around them that still seem to secure their halyards. There might be an element of moronicism involved in their rude habits.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:32   #342

Boat: OEM, proportional

I have another cunning plan. Let's cross a water-buffalo with a seagull, and teach the offspring to regard masts with slapping halyards as the exclusive breeding tree of this intriguing new species. The pile of droppings will cave in the deck, and the weight of the nest will capsise the boat. Word will quickly get around and this heinous genetic freak will die out almost as fast as the slappy halyards. People with artistic talent and fertile imaginations are invited to sketch their impression of the buffagull.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:26   #343

Boat: Catalina 30

Buffalogulls won't you come out tonight,
come out tonight, come out tonight,
and dance by the light of the moon.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:38   #344

Boat: OEM, proportional

At the height of the Buffagul infestation, Manly Marina will be the largest source of Buffagulldung since the invention of Parliament. Chandleries will do a roaring trade in Buffagulldung Expediting Systems (really, just shovels, but with a 500% markup 'cos they're "marine"). American coastal marinas will redound with gunfire, the most intense since the Battle of the Philippine Sea.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:32   #345

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I was in a slip in Northern Ca. for a few months. The guy next to me had a decrepit fishing runabout that he was "working on". First thing I noticed was the Sears 60's era, 2 pronged battery charger. So I know my zincs were getting cooked. He had a couple of 3' X 6' Formica sheets, covering the docks. One morning when I went down to my boat. I slipped and landed flat on my back. The next time I saw him, I told him about the incident and could he please remove the debris. I got the 30 minute speech of him justifying that since he was a long term renter that he was entitled to do as he wished. That was my only attempt with a one on one to resolve it. I went to the Harbor personnel and complained. They took care of the debris but not the charger.
My point is that if you pay slip rent, I feel the harbor has an obligation the ensure your stay with them is as peaceful as possible and if any other slip holder is bothering you, they should at least address it. Note: The Harbor Master has the right to board a vessel if it is endangering another vessel. He probably also has clearance to tie off halyards and notify the offenders.
In the past when I lived aboard, if I had a clanging halyard next to me. I would un-cleat it, flip it around a spreader and re-cleat it. Most of the time, it was a boat where the owner rarely came to see if his boat was still floating. Other times, I would see the owner and tell him the situation. Most dock mates see my boat with the halyards properly secured, not against the mast. My docklines properly sized, cleated off in a seamanship style and everything stowed. They generally know that I know what I'm doing. Only once was a halyard offender pissed off. An old unkept dock queen that never left the harbor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote