Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 11:02   #346
cruiser

Re: Slapping halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
A couple of bungie cords will do the job nicely. Don't leave them a note or you will be blamed for anything that may have happened to their boat before or since........m
I suggest a razor sharp steal knife
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:04   #347

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Slapping Halyards

Risky business, sneaking onto boats. You could get charged with trespass, shot, or worse, carried off by a Buffagull reverting to carnivore.
Old 02-08-2015, 14:41   #348
CLOD

Boat: none

It is kind of funny, in a sad way. 2 weekends ago the boat that got me started writing this thread watched me launch my dinghy and finally go over to a boat that had been banging away for weeks and fix their lines (I have fixed this boat's line's once already last year and this year).

This weekend that boat had used their boat since and put the line back into the banging location. So that's 2 attempts to to fix that boat.

Today the boat that watched me when for a sail and when they came back they left the halyard attached to the sail banging away! yet I've fixed their lines a couple of times, asked them and couple of times, and they even put some bungees on their lazyjack lines because they know they bang.

The whole has been nails on a caulk-board to me and the banging pisses me off more that it used to because the bangers just don't care.
Old 02-08-2015, 21:54   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I was in a slip in Northern Ca. for a few months. The guy next to me had a decrepit fishing runabout that he was "working on". First thing I noticed was the Sears 60's era, 2 pronged battery charger. So I know my zincs were getting cooked. He had a couple of 3' X 6' Formica sheets, covering the docks. One morning when I went down to my boat. I slipped and landed flat on my back. The next time I saw him, I told him about the incident and could he please remove the debris. I got the 30 minute speech of him justifying that since he was a long term renter that he was entitled to do as he wished. That was my only attempt with a one on one to resolve it. I went to the Harbor personnel and complained. They took care of the debris but not the charger.
My point is that if you pay slip rent, I feel the harbor has an obligation the ensure your stay with them is as peaceful as possible and if any other slip holder is bothering you, they should at least address it. Note: The Harbor Master has the right to board a vessel if it is endangering another vessel. He probably also has clearance to tie off halyards and notify the offenders.
In the past when I lived aboard, if I had a clanging halyard next to me. I would un-cleat it, flip it around a spreader and re-cleat it. Most of the time, it was a boat where the owner rarely came to see if his boat was still floating. Other times, I would see the owner and tell him the situation. Most dock mates see my boat with the halyards properly secured, not against the mast. My docklines properly sized, cleated off in a seamanship style and everything stowed. They generally know that I know what I'm doing. Only once was a halyard offender pissed off. An old unkept dock queen that never left the harbor.

+1 Agreed!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:50   #350

Could it be a slapping halyard keeps the birds away. Just be happy they haven't tried the humming tape...now that **** is annoying.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:01   #351

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

I consider it an exercise to tune out the hallard slapping. The world has never revolved around my preferences and never will. I can only change my perception.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 08:18   #352

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield55 View Post
I consider it an exercise to tune out the hallard slapping. The world has never revolved around my preferences and never will. I can only change my perception.
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Definitely super-human perception altering required here. Most of us mere mortals will have difficulty with some particularly noisy halyards.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 08:36   #353
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Definitely super-human perception altering required here. Most of us mere mortals will have difficulty with some particularly noisy halyards.
When I was a full time cruiser and live aboard slapping halyards drove me crazy. My own boat had unsupported wiring in the mast that would clang around when the boat rocked that was even worse.

Then I moved ashore and didn't go sailing for almost 30 years but any time I was close to the water I would walk the docks and look longingly at the boats. Then when I heard the sound of wind in the rigging and even the noise of slapping halyards I felt this wave of nostalgia.

Like the wife who can't stand her husband's snoring until he's gone.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:20   #354
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Like the wife who can't stand her husband's snoring until he's gone.
I bet the wife doesn't feel the same about the neighbors snoring, and that's basically the thread.
Old 18-11-2015, 09:57   #355
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I bet the wife doesn't feel the same about the neighbors snoring, and that's basically the thread.
Depends on how friendly she was with the neighbor.

In the case of halyards, my own were more annoying to me than the neighbors because they were closer and louder. The wiring inside my mast that clanged around when the boat rocked drove me bonkers because the noise transmitted through the rigging and the back stay chainplate was right next to my pillow.

On of the top of the list projects to fix in the mast on my current boat, install a PVC pipe for a wiring conduit at no small hassle but worth every minute of the time.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 13:54   #356

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Slapping Halyards

I left a halyard loose the other evening at dead calm apparently. A zephyr moved in after dark and I began to wrestle with whether I could stand the gentle slapping thru the night. I could. When the front went thru I changed my mind. By then I was in the sack and it had started to rain. Doesn't it always?

One of my many affirmations to ignore is the one about doing a chore the first time I think about it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 16:38   #357
CLOD

I've been in and out of the boatyard the past 1.5 weeks prepping for launching. The other day the wind picked up little (maybe 10 knots of wind) and I was amazed at how many halyards started banging away. They had been doing so for 5 months and this on boats that from appearances had been put away well.
Old 18-03-2016, 17:28   #358

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Their choice for the wear and tear, all preventable.

Ann
Old 18-03-2016, 17:33   #359

A new guy just moved into our marina, old Columbia mid-thirties. Slap, slap, oh, crap! Have to go introduce myself or just leave Captain Raines' letter in his cockpit.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 17:36   #360

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Boaters with slapping halyards are clueless, and obviously not seamen, yet.