Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 12:08   #16
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Not true.....my wife slept better at sea than she did anywhere (everyone is different). She was up & at 'em all day and slept 8 hours a night. She slept through the night during a cyclone in the Tasman Sea. I was astonished. The noise was unreal. We were sitting on a para-anchor, which made it quite comfortable but the noise.......I couldn't believe that she could sleep through it.
Interesting, but why would anyone sleep better at sea than anywhere else (such as a cabin in the mountains or something?) Low grade sea sickness? That's usually what knocks people out on boats.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:18   #17

Nights: 3 on 3 off, days are float. I sleep like a baby when done and usually sleep very well when off watch unless the guy blows or some such and then your on deck to help sort it out. Who sleeps in their gear?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:55   #18

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I've always slept better on a boat at anchor then on terra firma, but I have a hell of a time sleeping while underway, i usually just "rest" not actually sleep.

When we anchor I throw a gps right above my head with an anchor alarm on, so I sleep pretty soundly even through storms, but I'm up like a shot if it starts beeping
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 13:16   #19

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Interesting, but why would anyone sleep better at sea than anywhere else (such as a cabin in the mountains or something?) Low grade sea sickness? That's usually what knocks people out on boats.
Nope.....she's never been sea-sick for a minute. She reads about 4-6 books a week while at sea, even down below. If I read down below....I'm sick. She loves cooking at sea. If we are hammering to windward in big seas, she just harnesses herself in. She thinks it's fun .......go figure.

If I wake her up in the middle of the night, she can rarely go back to sleep. That's why I just let her sleep.

Her idea of a goodtime is, sitting on the aft deck...with a 5' Mahi-Mahi in front of her and filet knife in her hand. She'd filet that thing in 10 minutes. I'd wash her down with the deck wash pump. She'd head down below and start canning that thing.

Sea-sick............I don't think so.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 16:37   #20

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I think I sleep better on anchor then on shore because of the "cradle" like rocking LOL, at least that's always been my theory. I guess i would sleep better while underway if I hadn't been awaken by "OH SH**" so many times j/k
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:05   #21

Boat: First learning :) but I'll buy one once im ready.
When I was with friends , I didnt sleep a lot aboard the ship , it was just all so interesting ,
But I slept better at sea , then when we were anchored.

LBCS
CptnLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 07:18   #22

Unless it was very rolly I almost always slept well at anchor AFTER we got an anchor alarm. Also, we got used to wind generator noise and had trouble falling asleep on land without it. I guess most of our ‘sheltered’ anchorages turned out to be pretty windy.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 06:29   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Canadian Sleep Society (CSS) / Société Canadienne du Sommeil (SCS) is a professional association of clinicians, scientists and technologists formed in June 1986 to further the advancement and understanding of sleep and its disorders through scientific study and public awareness. They have lots of interesting information (& links) about sleep.
Goto: Sleep Information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote