Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 13:44   #136

Boat: 36' custom steel
Have a smoke and relax.

Besides . . . maintaining the high moral ground and/or being sanctimonious is no fun unless you have an audience.
Old 12-10-2009, 14:22   #137
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avril25 View Post

he also opened the fuel locker and stuck his head in with a glowing hot cigarette hanging from his mouth, why I ask!. luckily no kaboom this time either.
LOL I used to do that ........opening the air vent on the fuel tank - never had any vapour build up in the locker. (as you can tell, from this post............being written ).

However I did once set fire to my hair from gas igniting - but that was a drinking related event firmly shoreside (in a pub). and involved a bet

Must really be a link between IQ and smoking
Old 12-10-2009, 14:33   #138
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
LOL I used to do that ........opening the air vent on the fuel tank - never had any vapour build up in the locker. (as you can tell, from this post............being written ).

However I did once set fire to my hair from gas igniting - but that was a drinking related event firmly shoreside (in a pub). and involved a bet

*LOL*

TaoJones
Old 12-10-2009, 14:46   #139

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:

My grandfather was a chain smoking cigar man. He also fixed cars for a living. He died when some gasoline leaked out off a car he was working on. It took three or four months for the burns to do him in. Horrible way to go. Slow and very painful.

My understanding is that it was the vapors that the cigar ignited. He was flash fried.
Old 12-10-2009, 14:57   #140
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
My grandfather was a chain smoking cigar man. He also fixed cars for a living. He died when some gasoline leaked out off a car he was working on. It took three or four months for the burns to do him in. Horrible way to go. Slow and very painful.

My understanding is that it was the vapors that the cigar ignited. He was flash fried.
Sorry to hear about your grandad.
Old 12-10-2009, 15:16   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... Must really be a link between IQ and smoking
A number of links between I.Q. and smoking have been detected.
None of them favour smokers.

Old 12-10-2009, 15:16   #142

- a patient said to me: "Nurse, you know smoking will kill you?" ...
so I handed him my cigarettes and asked:
"and now what? will I live forever?"
a sick joke, I know ...

- once I was 250+ pounds and lost 120 pounds ...
when I quit smoking, I KNOW I'll gain weight again ...
so, I made the choice of not quiting ...

- Hey Nick s/v Jedi, I'm with you ... of course, we're Dutch ...
I hope to have a few drinks (AND smokes) with you and Josy again one day somewhere ...

- the worst anti-smoking preachers, are those who quit smoking ...

- I'm a considerate smoker and when crewing I always smoke topdeck / off the wind ...

- funny, how this thread changed from "smoking and sailing" to "trying to make smokers quit" ...

- I couldn't care less if you took away my wine, but please let me have my smokes ...

- I have friends who visited the US ... there they started taking pics of fat ppl ... only fat ppl ... one friend warning the other, where to look ...
they came home with hundreds of pics of the most ugly ppl you've ever seen ...

- fat ppl may be a bigger problem for health care than smokers ...
when I have a fat patient, who asks me, to help him/her move in bed, my answer is short: I'll give you some advice, so you can do it yourself, but I'm not going to break my back on you ...

fat ppl. getting total knees, total hips ... fat ppl who have Diabetes and who keep eating ... doctors are just thinking $$$ ...

- I can go on for hours, but I guess you already figured that out ...

- it's time for wine and a smoke, it's after 5pm ...
Cheers, Nick, hahahah ...
Old 12-10-2009, 15:53   #143

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
It is easy to be sanctimonious about a problem you don't have. I don't have many friends anymore who smoke, most of those who did finally quit. It was not something I would let cost me a friend. Closing bars in this state to smoking helped several make the decision to stop smoking. My mother was a smoker and died of lung cancer. It wasn't a good way to go, if there are any, and I miss her. Good luck to anyone strong enough to fight any addiction.
There is no smoking around my house or my boat, not top side, not in the driveway. Your house, your boat, your rules.
The only time it was ever a problem was the Suez Canal "guide" who expected a carton of cigarettes. My wife and I didn't think it was approriate to condone them as a 'gratuity'.
It should go without saying that I wouldn't want anyone reading science fiction up wind of me. Oh, I guess it didn't.
Old 12-10-2009, 21:30   #144

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I'll be the first one to admit that some of my fellow smokers are jerks. The one you sailed with was inconsiderate, you just need to pick your sailing mates better. Most smokers I know aren't like that, and I wouldn't have wanted to sail with your mate either. Considerate smokers bend over backward to smoke down wind or away from those that it might bother, and keep their butts until they find a trash can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avril25 View Post
Ya know....I've just had the unpleasent privilege of sailing with two smokers recently.

Very inconsiderate and unsafe people.

One guy put his cigar down long enough to fill his 6 gallon fuel tank, no smoking at the fuel dock of course. then after fueling, he immediately made a b-line to the smoldering cuban, and with his full tank in one hand picked up his puffer with the other and brought it back to life, and proudly made his way back to the boat to get under way. I watched in horror, thinking what might have happened if the conditions we right for blast off.

then I spent 6 hours sailing with another guy who had to have a butt in his mouth 24/7. he left ashes everywhere. Butts in water bottles half filled with water, gross!

he also opened the fuel locker and stuck his head in with a glowing hot cigarette hanging from his mouth, why I ask!. luckily no kaboom this time either.

I'm putting up the no smoking signs! that's it.
Old 12-10-2009, 21:37   #145

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A number of links between I.Q. and smoking have been detected.
None of them favour smokers.
That would explain everything concerning our country's leaders!...but I don't think to many of them smoke.
Old 12-10-2009, 21:42   #146

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAREUA View Post
It should go without saying that I wouldn't want anyone reading science fiction up wind of me. Oh, I guess it didn't.
Thems are fightin words

God bless smokers and non smokers, fat ppl and skinny ppl, the judgmental and the non judgmental, and last but not least, God bless sci-fi fans and odd eggs who aren't .

On topic - ummm... I got nothing

May the force be with you,
Erika
Old 13-10-2009, 06:57   #147

Boat: Albin Ballad; 1978; 30'-00" "SVINT II"
I have a friend (non sailor) who replaced smoking with chewing tabaco....he gave that up when he acidently took a swig from the coke bottle he used to spit the juice into........yuk
Old 13-10-2009, 07:27   #148

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAREUA View Post
I bet Reepicheep wouldn't stand for it. Poltroon!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 13-10-2009, 07:36   #149

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I smoke, because I am an addict.

I’ve lived long and free enough, to accumulate a number of regrets.
None can match the remorse I feel at having taken up smoking, and becoming physically & psychologically addicted to tobacco (about 12 y/o). It's a curse!!!

Struggling to quit, I remain addicted, and don’t go (or stay long, should I go) where I cannot smoke. I could no more do so, than I could not breathe.
Try Chantix. It worked for me!
Old 13-10-2009, 07:41   #150

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Fishman, Reepicheep is the name of our dinghy. Of course, I still maintain I have no idea what you are talking about. One of us is clearly living in a fantasy land. Now get back downwind where you belong.
Closed Thread