Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2008, 17:13   #1

So much to know

Well, winter is here in OZ (or my part at least).
Had a load of firewood dumped yesterday and will spend the weekend stacking it. Would much rather be inside on the net and looking at my dreamboats.

I have 18 months before I retire and then my 'life' begins.
House will be sold and then it's off to the Med.

Planning to do Yachtmaster course in Gibraltar and will have hopefully been in touch with brokers who will have a range of yachts to show.
3-5 years liveaboard in the Med and then a long, slow cruise back home - well that's the plan...

It's just that the more time I spend on forums such as this great one, the more I realize I don't know.
Was it Rumsfeld or Cheney who uttered those immortal words, "...there are also those things we don't know that we don't know..."

Sailing skills are adequate. It's just all those little things that happen with electrics, plumbing, rigging, etc that those who spend so much time on their own boats either seem competent to handle or at least know the right questions to ask to seek advice.

Until then I'll just keep reading, and hopefully, learning.

Mark
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 00:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hi Mark. "Don't sweat the little things" is the best plan at looking at all the things you think you don't know. The biggest thing I have learnt is that with sailing, it really doesn't matter how much or how little you know. You pull up a sail and point the boat. All the rest kinda works out from there and you learn as you go. It's not like driving a car on a multi lane highway. On a boat, you can even get away with the odd minor bump getting in and out of your berth.
The only major issue I see wrong with your plans is....it's not me.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 01:10   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

But at least you know that you don't some stuff..........even if you don't always know exactly what you don't know. If you know what I mean

IMO the big plus with your plan is you will have plenty of time to work stuff out at your own speed / leisure as you go along........removing the "Pressure" of time constraints (real or perceived) from the equation is not to be sniffed at
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 01:03   #4

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Smile ... and the problem with this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markje4 View Post
It's just all those little things that happen with electrics, plumbing, rigging, etc that those who spend so much time on their own boats either seem competent to handle or at least know the right questions to ask to seek advice.
Wonderful isn’t it? Much better than being the sort of person who is certain he knows everything but has trouble squaring it with instances where others (and reality) tells him otherwise.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 04:58   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
It's said that cruising is nothing more than working on a boat in exotic places. That may be true because I believe I've been getting a Phd in boat systems and repair for some time now. But, finally after all these years, I found that job I really love.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 05:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
you'll not regret working through the problem (with or without advice). not only does it give you immediate satisfaction (or frustration!), but it will be valuable later on.

I see so many yachties whose automatic response is to hire someone. After all, they've got the money. that's fine for coastal racing types, but what if they found themselves 500 miles offshore and something breaks? They wouldn't have the first clue!
Old 21-04-2008, 05:46   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Nobody knows everything, and the boat has needs, so it will teach you along the way........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 05:58   #8

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Mark,
Though sailing for 25 years, I too am new to bluewater boat preparation and agree with you that the learning curve can be rather daunting. I find that Wheels comment is rather cavalier considering he is one of the site gurus (no offense Wheels ).
There is a great article by Tania Aebi in the May issue of "Latitudes and Attitudes" which may put your mind at ease...it helped me.
Good luck and maybe I'll see you out there in a few years.
Jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 08:04   #9

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimking100 View Post
Mark,
Though sailing for 25 years, I too am new to bluewater boat preparation and agree with you that the learning curve can be rather daunting. I find that Wheels comment is rather cavalier considering he is one of the site gurus (no offense Wheels ).
There is a great article by Tania Aebi in the May issue of "Latitudes and Attitudes" which may put your mind at ease...it helped me.

I'm certain Wheels can speak for himself, but I read his remarks as being more about the attitude taken towards all that learning. Or, since your referenced Latitudes and Attitudes:

Attitude is the difference between adventure and ordeal

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 10:15   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Mark,
Just go.... Play with your boat before you do any bluewater stuff... As long as your boat is well found you will learn along the way what you need to learn, its not really that difficult. Most folks evolve into longer passages by starting in close waters then coastal sailing, then some Island Hopping, some overnights, and before you know it you will be considering longer passages.
Good Luck
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 17:58   #11

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.
Talking with family and friends over the past 2 weeks I'm now very seriously considering taking up 'the free life' at the end of this year - giving me a 12 month jump on my earlier plans.

Mark
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 20:44   #12

Mark

Mark I have the same dream. Whats sums up the best for me is a title of
an old text only adventure game.

A mind forever voyaging

Thats me in my old age.
dand2c is offline   Reply With Quote