Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 07:04   #151
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Spain and Ebola: Discuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I don't have any problem doing that. I just haven't heard any hysterical voices reporting on this issue. sneuman, maybe you should stop listening to the hysterical voices if you can.
Really?
Doctor Tries His Best To Settle Fox News Anchor's Ebola Hype: 'Calm It Down'
Old 16-10-2014, 07:25   #152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Well, now see, I don't listen or watch Fox news. And I choose very carefully where I get my news. I pretty much trust the news sources I go to. And, I don't have a TV. I only get news from the internet, and like I said, I am very choosy. Anyone listening to Fox news, IMHO, is doing themselves a disservice. Anyone who sits in front of any "news" channel for more than a few minutes a day is also doing themselves a disservice. Again, IMHO.
Old 16-10-2014, 07:40   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, now see, I don't listen or watch Fox news. And I choose very carefully where I get my news. I pretty much trust the news sources I go to. And, I don't have a TV. I only get news from the internet, and like I said, I am very choosy. Anyone listening to Fox news, IMHO, is doing themselves a disservice. Anyone who sits in front of any "news" channel for more than a few minutes a day is also doing themselves a disservice. Again, IMHO.
That's all good. And, I agree. Unfortunately, as we can see from this thread, that's not the case with the general public.
Old 16-10-2014, 08:40   #154
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I don't see hysteria. I see prudence. Hysteria is locking the doors and taping the windows. Granted, the media is riding the profit train flashing reformatted content every chance it can.
Old 16-10-2014, 08:44   #155
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Overreacting? No, that word should be reserved for when the US announces plans for nuking the fruit bats. Much cheaper than sending semi-autonomous drones after them.

(weg)
Old 16-10-2014, 09:26   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I don't see hysteria. I see prudence. Hysteria is locking the doors and taping the windows. Granted, the media is riding the profit train flashing reformatted content every chance it can.
well, I think uninformed speculation, while maybe not hysterical in and of itself, certainly contributes to it.
Old 16-10-2014, 09:33   #157
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If one was informed, one would not be speculating.

Speculation can be a perfectly good thing, as it forces those who overhear it to raise solid points, or consider ones they've missed, in response. Misinformation may get spread, or it may get quashed, but it people just sit back and listen without questioning...No wait, that's sheep. And whether it is the shepherd of the wolf, sheep eventually get eaten.
Old 16-10-2014, 09:38   #158

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:

The problem with saying that watching a particular program or network is doing yourself a disservice is that, by your own admission, you don't watch the network. Sure there are the hyping types on every channel but I challenge you to watch Shep Smith, for example, or Bret Baier. These, among others, are thoughtful folks even if you don't agree with their particular bent. Just as I have seen creditable articles written on other websites, I have seen their hypsters go off the deep end as well.

In the end, the 24 hour news cycle has created a situation where hype must exist in order to fill air time. Wading thru that is not much different than wading thru the hysteria on the cruisers forum about which anchor is the best. It just takes some practice.
Old 16-10-2014, 10:01   #159
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Indeed, if the church (WHO and CDC) weren't so FUpped, maybe we would be able to grasp something. Otherwise, its every monkey for themselves.

Just like the 1300's -- the church didn't sea folks, and the medical community at the U of Paris didn't either.
Old 16-10-2014, 10:21   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Speculation can be a perfectly good thing, as it forces those who overhear it to raise solid points, or consider ones they've missed, in response. Misinformation may get spread, or it may get quashed, but it people just sit back and listen without questioning...No wait, that's sheep. And whether it is the shepherd of the wolf, sheep eventually get eaten.
Well, because of your vast education in virology and epidemiology and personal experience with Ebola, I could make an exception on the speculation thing. But, just in your case.
Old 16-10-2014, 12:47   #161
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Church? Speaking of which, isn't it curious how the Vatican has been silent about sending aid? Or, perhaps I missed the memo.
Old 16-10-2014, 13:30   #162
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Church? Speaking of which, isn't it curious how the Vatican has been silent about sending aid? Or, perhaps I missed the memo.
they have more "pressing" issues on their minds

Why Catholic bishops are meeting in Rome to discuss same-sex marriage - Vox
Old 16-10-2014, 14:11   #163
cruiser

Quote:
Church. 1300s Society lost confidence that religion could save their ass. Medicine was also heavily dependent on Astrology and could not save anyones ass.

All leading up to the decadent Renaissance.

Party on dudes!

Hysteria is an act of protest against the establishment and status quo!

Old 16-10-2014, 14:12   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe they could send over a ship load of condoms...oh, wait a minute...
Old 16-10-2014, 15:08   #165

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Representatives Push for Travel Ban at Ebola Hearing | Ebola Outbreak | FRONTLINE | PBS
Frontline carried some congressional hearings today and the CBC carried a live broadcast of the second largest nurses union in the US. They were saying that more money and training is needed. The healthcare cutbacks need to be reversed, etc. It was an excellent broadcast.
Ebola: Nurses union wants stricter protocols - News - CBC Player
Closed Thread

Tags
Spain, spain