Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2017, 09:36   #2176

Boat: Windward marine Sea Raker 28'
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

Do any of you know any one who has any experience with an American marrying a woman from the Philippines, the reason I ask Is I have been talking with a women in manila that I met on a dating site , and I would like to know how realistic it would be to be able to bring her here, and if there would be any major obstacles before things get too serious.
Old 30-09-2017, 09:49   #2177

Boat: Custom Norm Cross 50'ft Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdozz View Post
Do any of you know any one who has any experience with an American marrying a woman from the Philippines, the reason I ask Is I have been talking with a women in manila that I met on a dating site , and I would like to know how realistic it would be to be able to bring her here, and if there would be any major obstacles before things get too serious.
Hello Bdozz:

I'm not an expert on relationships, but have first hand experience with a few of my friends subjected to all kinds of internet fraud. So, here is my two cents:

I have no problem with you marrying a woman from the Philippines.
You can pay to bring her here if she has a valid passport and can make a flight.
It sounds like it is serious already.

Have you thought about traveling to the Philippines?
You would pay for your ticket and see some beautiful islands.
Check the woman you met and see if she is the same person on the Internet.
You could meet her family and go from there.
Watch your wallet and don't be conned into some financial scheme.

A woman I know had a romance with a man who said he was an American in Philippines and wanted to connect with her when he was done with his Philippine contract. He wrote all the right things to her. After a long dialog, he was subject to a mugging They robbed everything from his hotel room. Lost his passport, money and ID, clothes, laptop. He wanted her to to send 10K usd to a Western Union so he could get back on his feet. Which she did. Well, after sending up to 50K for this guy to come back to states to meet. He halted all communications. She was just a victim.

So, lesson learned.
Just protect yourself.
There is no free lunch.

--- Dan Escale s/v Savanna
Old 30-09-2017, 10:04   #2178

Thanks for the response, no it is not serious, I am just thinking ahead a little , I did not plan on meeting anyone but local women when I joined the site , but if this women is real, I would go meet her , but I am just a blue collar guy and I don't want it to go that far if it is unrealistic to be able to bring her here.
Old 01-10-2017, 17:00   #2179

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Filipina's make great wives...sometimes. As with all things, your mileage may vary. I lived in the PH for over 6 years so I know a thing or two about the place. Meet them on the Internet if you want, but 90% of the girls you meet that way are scammers out to take your money. Anytime a girl you talk to on the Internet asks for money, she's scamming you. Run away. These girls are pro's, they know every trick in the book, so never send them money.

Filipina's do make great wives, but the odds of you meeting one on an Internet dating site are very, very low. If you seek a near perfect wife, there is no substitute for boots on the ground. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you gotta work, etc. but if you're serious, go there, rent an apartment for six months. You will be well on your way.

Here is what worked very well for me: After multiple failed attempts to find a nice girl I ended up on Mindanao in a college town. I rented a house ($150 a month), hired a local woman to cook and clean ($70 a month) and just was friendly with everyone I met. After buying fresh fish at the local public market for a couple of months, the lady who sold me the fish several times a week asked me one day if I'd like to meet a pretty single Filipina girl. Now that was an easy question to answer! And meet her I did the very next day and I met her cousin too who was our chaperone on our first date. Every time we met, a relative of one kind or another tagged along as our Chaperone. This went on for nearly three months before I was considered fully trustworthy by the family and allowed to "go it alone" so to speak. So, yes they are there, but the way to meet them does not include the Internet. You also need a lot of patience. Remember, you are being evaluated always. Good families are very protective of their girls and really don't want them to be seen with a fly by night foreigner.

So, it took a while, but it was worth the wait. She's been my wife for almost 4 years now and she's hands down the best I could ever hope for.

An unrelated word of caution. If you are in a bar and a very attractive girl approaches you be cautious because "she" may have a bigger package than you do! They are called "Ladyboys" and often times they won't tell you until beforehand. Also, don't carry much cash on you, avoid dark streets after dark, and always be polite. Filipinos are very sensitive and are easy to have their feelings hurt.

The best site for info on the Philippines is: livingincebuforums.com Go there, read the commentary and learn. There are some very good people on the site, some jerks too, so go slow.
Old 01-10-2017, 17:10   #2180

Thanks for the advice Yachts
Old 01-10-2017, 17:37   #2181

You are very welcome!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:08   #2182
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i woprked with phillipina nurses for looong time. when i was a manager, i was privileged to overhear conversations carried on in my presence-- the gals were merciless and most enlightening.
seems just as everywhere there are good and bad..... make sure you vet well and find a good partner.
in the mean time we would love to enjoy your misadventures in print..keep us posted as to your progress.....
tom thankyou for the info for our friends
Old 18-10-2017, 12:16   #2183

we getting slow here.. what you all wish to converse on. how bout seamanship~~

what , in your minds and lives, constitutes seaworthiness in a human being....and how does that help- define soulmate.......

i place ability to follow direction as a primary ingredient, as both sides of the orders must have ability to carry out and follow same. never delegate something you refuse to do unless the money is excellent...hahahaha

NEXT!!!
Old 18-10-2017, 14:21   #2184

0910171713-1.jpg
My son and I just bought this mcgregor 24 for $200 to practice sailing until I can get the Suzy Q back in the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0910171713-1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	157979  
Old 19-10-2017, 00:17   #2185

I had a Mac24 and sailed it all over the Sea of Cortez. I have many good memories of my trips in that little girl.
Old 21-10-2017, 19:03   #2186

I left off with the Michigan lake cops. They didn't see Michigan stickers on the boat so they decided to pull us over and check us out. The only paperwork I had was a letter from the p.o. stating that the Suzy Q was now mine, and the coast guard documentation , luckily for me it was lunchtime. After explaining to me that my paperwork waa not good enough for the state of Michigan, asking about our boating experience and safety equipment and holding on to us long enough to have us all turned around, and very close to shore and us assuring them we were leaving Michigan immediately they decided that they would rather go to lunch then spend an hour or so writing me tickets, and let us go.
Old 21-10-2017, 19:14   #2187

After they let us go though, they weren't paying attention to what they were doing and I couldn't get back out in the channel, when they finally realized this and moved so I could get underway again, we were completely turned around in a busy crowded channel, and I almost ran down some girls on a jet ski that seemed oblivious to the whole situation, I bet we came with in a foot of them, and they never even saw us.
Old 21-10-2017, 19:18   #2188

Bad seamanship on my part See, I was so worried about the lake cops, and running aground I was not paying the attention to other traffic as I should have been.
Old 22-10-2017, 06:01   #2189

wow... excitement.... shallows happen and if you aint been aground you aint been around but assisted groundings are a nother issue... kinda more flustrating as you have someone to pin blame for the deed. i am glad you got away clean. whew....each misadventure is a learning experience.
Old 24-10-2017, 04:11   #2190

I'm curious Bdozz what constitutes the proper paperwork in the eyes of officialdom in Michigan? We'll be doing the great loop as soon as I find the proper power boat to do it in that I can reasonably afford!

Tags
paracelle