Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 09:51   #2356

Send a message via Skype™ to PADISail
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

I hear Refitting can be Fun !!!
No Boat here - no Fun here... No Joy :'(
Old 14-07-2020, 10:06   #2357

Attachment 219328
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Still planning on getting a boat so that I can refit it.
Just got this mental Image of 'The Black Pearl' cresting over an Arizona sand dune and sliding down into the water, from one of the 'Pirates of Caribbean' movies. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackPearl-Dune.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	219329  
Old 14-07-2020, 10:26   #2358
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there ye go..perfect for noboatville az...hahahahaha
Old 14-07-2020, 18:38   #2359

Boat: Still building

Rebuilding and refitting here in Oz, and watching 'Free Range Sailing' on YT to keep me motivated, as they are a few years ahead of where I want to be, and going preciselt where I will be going!!

'Course, I need to finish renovating the house: bathroom, exterior, new laundry; and finish restoring my classic car(s); and finish refitting/rebuilding/converting my 15' LazyE to a 'dinghy camper'.....

So...... I'm workin' on it!
Old 14-07-2020, 19:09   #2360

refitting is fun ...
until your masthead fittings go walkabout somewhere unknown and ye have only 2 weeks to raise the mizzen or lose it in a field where in condos will be started being built in 2 weeks.. i not liking folks right now..is eat or fittings...eat...fittings...eat...fittings..tough choice.
i best get the fittings.
for the record--no warning on getting our stuff out of field.... just suddenly a loader is filling a dump truck with that which is in field..oopsy....so i getto pay for a truck and a new fitting and i couldnot eat and afford the truck...hahahahahahahah aint life grand
Old 14-07-2020, 19:39   #2361

LOL...yeah, those crises are what 'credit' was invented for..!!

That said, I don't have a credit card - only debit card - so I get super nervous when the 'current acct' gets below a few grand.

Feel like I need to be doing more work or something.

Then I figure a way around it, and we're all good again.
Old 14-07-2020, 19:45   #2362

yeah i was unable to qualify for credit cards and purchases as i was a single mom raising a kid as a nurse.. only me n him, so no go. i have debit card but on ssdi one doesnot have enough to skip a stone across a puddle of spit.
i have appealed to my momma so we see how many 15 peso tacos i am going to be able to buy these next 4 weeks until next income day.
i usually make each month easily, but these hellmonths are another story. thankfully, my momma loves me..hahahahahahahahaha
glad i have put aside the dough fro the boom truck...now for the mast head fittings and i hope i bought enough food for cat.......
and i do have a hammock filled with stuff to eat, if all else fails.
Old 14-07-2020, 20:23   #2363

Wander the slips at meal times and 'sniff the breeze' to see whose got something cooking, and invite yourself for dinner. lol

SS is pretty damn limiting. Why I'm aiming to rent out my house eventually, as that will add enough (I hope) to prevent 'credit stress' occuring once I slip the lines.

Orrrrr...you could downgrade to a sloop - only one mast to worry about then, and one or two less sails to worry about...???
Old 14-07-2020, 21:58   #2364

ooohhhh but we love jib n jigger too much to retrogress back into sloops.. love em but at my advanced old lady age i prefer the ketch options.. easier to sail longer. and still have fun.
this is low season in mazatlan hhaha i have a mexican family makes me cheap yummy mexican food.. and i can supplement occasionally by helping the mommas and abuelas out with the meal making chores. they also have a restaurant out of the house.... yeah mexico...my boat generally has the mouth watering aromas emitting from the portholes.. hahaaha but that is an awesome idea in winter when we have high season... but i cheat--i have a perma-invite to dock 6 safety meatings. yes i spelled em correctly.
i am thinking of acquiring a smoker bbq, tiny one me size, so i can make even more yumminess once i jump thru these hoops, but that is down the block a few more weeks... when i have more dough and freedom , somewhat.
Old 20-07-2020, 10:54   #2365

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
only 2 weeks to raise the mizzen or lose it in a field where in condos will be
Let me get this straight...
Your mizzen is laying in a field, just the mast ???

If so, dear one, you don't need a truck, just go down to the local watering hole, grab hold of a dozen or so real men, and they can carry it on their shoulders to where you need it... With that many bodies, it should be light work, might look a little odd carrying it down Main Street, but who knows - you might make the papers...

When they get it to the boat, it's time for a Barby' -n- Fosters all'round.
Old 20-07-2020, 11:36   #2366

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADISail View Post
Let me get this straight...
Your mizzen is laying in a field, just the mast ???

If so, dear one, you don't need a truck, just go down to the local watering hole, grab hold of a dozen or so real men, and they can carry it on their shoulders to where you need it... With that many bodies, it should be light work, might look a little odd carrying it down Main Street, but who knows - you might make the papers...

When they get it to the boat, it's time for a Barby' -n- Fosters all'round.
we considered that, but with a 4 ft bury, it gets convoluted and complex, so a boom crane truck is to be used.. we have received better news also--there are 2 owners of field..2/3 is marina owned and no plans for construction and permission has been granted to do this also with mainmast so we will effect a swap-out... put main mast onto the sawhorses in field and strip it, placing all parts and pulleys into a container on my topsides, and restep mizzen. will place boat bow into slip for a change and maintain my mainmast.
field is just above my boat, at top of gangway to gate with no key.
we had to create a new pulley for inside mizzen as there is a pulley thief in our area... another set of formosa masts is missing pulleys , and mine was removed from mizzen within past 2 weeks.
we have no plans on leaving any hardware whatsoever on mast in field..just stick which willbe stripped sanded checked for rot and termites and bugs and painted coated rerigged and restepped. step will also be assessed for damages and need for repairing.
remember this is a formosa and formosa my remaining life i will be repairing my formosa.
fortunately my birthday is in a couple weeks so my mom sent me money for birthday so i can fix and finish these and rent a boom truck and make pulley and .....
Old 20-07-2020, 12:10   #2367

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADISail View Post
Just got this mental Image of 'The Black Pearl' cresting over an Arizona sand dune and sliding down into the water, from one of the 'Pirates of Caribbean' movies. Thanks!
Here in the middle of BLM (Bureau of Land Management) desert in Arizona, there's a place that bills itself as the "Quartzsite Yacht Club". I understand that their membership card is accepted at yacht clubs worldwide through reciprocal agreement. Your picture brought them to mind.

I wish that they had a picture of just the t-shirt design on their website. It's a cruising ketch plowing it's way through the sand and cacti.

This place is about as far from water as you can get. The closest large body of water is the Salton Sea which is about 90 miles West. Not the greatest place to go sailing. San Diego and the Pacific Ocean is around 200 miles West.
Old 20-07-2020, 14:47   #2368

Boat: Norseman 447

I’ve got one of the t-shirts. When I find it, I’ll see if I can figure out how to send you a picture. When I "joined" back in the 90s, the story was that QYC was the biggest yacht club in the US, with some 4000 members. I wouldn’t be surprised, since for $20 you got the shirt, a nicely sewn burgee, and a membership card/certificate (now lost). One of their "goals" was to lobby the Arizona Legislature to dig a canal to the Colorado River so that they could host reciprocal cruise-ins.
Old 20-07-2020, 15:10   #2369

i know folks in guaymas and penasco would like to sail home instead of fly or drive...could be an interesting waterway. find a panga for crossing border hahahahaha
Old 21-07-2020, 04:51   #2370

Boat: Watkins 27

Muskegon, MI. I’ve got a whole freshwater ocean
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle