Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 17:49   #751
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

Micah, I had such a great laugh over your post. Wonderful sense of humor!
I can only speak for myself, but for me facial hair is fine. Basically optional like hair anywhere else. I am attracted to men on other criteria. I like natural, and would only think it creepy if a man were, say, shaving or waxing his body hair. So don't worry. I'm sure you'll find a sailorette to help you wash it with all that shampoo!
Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 11-08-2012, 17:54   #752

Boat: Tartan 30 (sold 2012)

You all had me worried for few minutes. I had a beard for 20 plus years, chest hair isn't a problem but the idea of waxing was scaring the hell out of me.
Old 11-08-2012, 20:35   #753

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Beards are ok where the weather is cold, but here in the tropics they don't work for me at all....the last thing you want here is something that keeps the heat in!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54   #754
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

uhoh--you guys mention heat?? is humiditity we have here--aint hot at all--just humid!!!! is only 75 F this morning......
Old 12-08-2012, 05:59   #755

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Wish it were only that here Zee, but it only gets below 80 in the middle of the night lately and then not by much. Over 90 in the heat of the day too!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:07   #756
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we had lightning and rain last night--otherwise would be 85 in am.......
Old 12-08-2012, 14:44   #757

Boat: OEM, proportional

Apart from aircon, what cruiserish strategies are there for keeping cool when the humidity stops sweat from evaporating/cooling? I read that the ancients in the Mediterranean used to put oil on their skin...no idea how that works. Too late now to research, see if I remember it tomorrow.

Btw, if sweat can still evaporate, the beard is fine...better than a wet nakedface, for sure. Just need a bit of air moving over it. In Barcaldine I once saw 48 celcius in the shade, and the Billabong we were building was not shady. We drank about 10 litres during the day (and a few more after dark) and our shirts would be white & crusty with salt. Extra salt intake, or nasty muscle cramps....
Old 12-08-2012, 14:49   #758

Is ok, I think I will still NOT grow out my beard...
Old 12-08-2012, 15:13   #759
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Saltymonkey like to keep beard very very very very short. Yuk to long beards for elfs and trolls and fake looking sea captains.

Also long beards catch on fire when eating birthday cakes.

says SaltyMonkey
Old 12-08-2012, 15:20   #760

You're supposed to blow the candles out first, silly monkey.
Old 12-08-2012, 15:45   #761

Excellent advice!
Old 12-08-2012, 20:09   #762

Boat: Tartan 30 (sold 2012)

Lora,

I think skiping the beard is the right decission. If you really feel the need. I can be your surrigate beard grower.
Old 12-08-2012, 22:50   #763

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
Unhappy Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Apart from aircon, what cruiserish strategies are there for keeping cool when the humidity stops sweat from evaporating/cooling? I read that the ancients in the Mediterranean used to put oil on their skin...no idea how that works. Too late now to research, see if I remember it tomorrow.

Btw, if sweat can still evaporate, the beard is fine...better than a wet nakedface, for sure. Just need a bit of air moving over it. In Barcaldine I once saw 48 celcius in the shade, and the Billabong we were building was not shady. We drank about 10 litres during the day (and a few more after dark) and our shirts would be white & crusty with salt. Extra salt intake, or nasty muscle cramps....

135 F in Riyadh SA, no escaping it, lucky for us it was exceptionally dry. ALl clothes/uniforms were white salted. No thanks, they can have it.
People drop like seagull crap in tehheat, usually it is teh lack of water intake. Used to tell my guys, drink so you had to whiz every hour at least....
Kept them from whizzing pumpkin juice!
Old 13-08-2012, 02:04   #764

Lol....eeew. Yes, seen a few folks keel over from heatstroke. Not a pretty sight.

One thought I had was using cold seawater from below the warm surface layer...rig some kind of pump, electric or wind, and a radiator and fan. Obviously energy-heavy, and useless if you're anchored in shallow water, and probably also insignificant cooling for large volumes. But, one cool cabin for snoozing is better than nothing. Probably the aft cabin as there is no galley, though cockpit cuisine would be the way to go anyway. Ah well, have to try it and see.

Now to research the oil on skin thingy...what were those ancients thinking?
Old 13-08-2012, 07:20   #765

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Lol....eeew. Yes, seen a few folks keel over from heatstroke. Not a pretty sight.

One thought I had was using cold seawater from below the warm surface layer...rig some kind of pump, electric or wind, and a radiator and fan. Obviously energy-heavy, and useless if you're anchored in shallow water, and probably also insignificant cooling for large volumes. But, one cool cabin for snoozing is better than nothing. Probably the aft cabin as there is no galley, though cockpit cuisine would be the way to go anyway. Ah well, have to try it and see.

Now to research the oil on skin thingy...what were those ancients thinking?
Like all great ideas, this one was thought of before, by yours truly in this thread.

However, some subject matter experts chimed in, and shot the idea down as unworkable. It is only a short thread and worth a read.

But I like your thinking.

Tags
paracelle