Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 19:10   #1

Starting Out Boating

I have been in the navy for almost 18 years, but i am an engineer. So with that said, myself and wife are going to be getting a boat. Keep in mind this is our first Rec boat. We have been looking at boat that range from 32-40' due to the fact that size has everything we at looking for. Head, shower, beds, etc. I am just thinking that is to much boat for us to start out with. Would like to know if I'm right.
Greymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 19:17   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Starting out boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymare View Post
I have been in the navy for almost 18 years, but i am an engineer. So with that said, myself and wife are going to be getting a boat. Keep in mind this is our first Rec boat. We have been looking at boat that range from 32-40' due to the fact that size has everything we at looking for. Head, shower, beds, etc. I am just thinking that is to much boat for us to start out with. Would like to know if I'm right.
I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade, but if you're talking about a SAILboat and you don't know how to sail -- YES.

You shouldn't buy ANyTHING yet, and especially based solely on the cabin. If you're going to live aboard that's important, but first you have to be able to handle the boat.

Sailing is trickier than it looks. Find a sailing club and make yourself indispensable. You'll find lots of people who enjoy your enthusiasm and who will take you out on their boats. Take some sailing lessons. Sailing looks easy on a pretty day with smooth waters but wait until you only have three knots of wind -- or 30 or more -- and you'll find out there's more to it than it appears on the surface.

I'm a relative beginner myself but (don't laugh now!) I found SAILING FOR DUMMIES very useful in the beginning. You CANNOT learn to sail only by reading books, but once you get the basics down books can help.

Sail on every kind of boat you can, small and large. Don't just go out and buy a 40 foot boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 19:20   #3

It's not going to be a sailboat, what we are looking for is a weekender.
Old 08-08-2011, 22:38   #4

We were looking a 32' carver with twin engines. I'm just wondering if that is to much boat to start with.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Starting Out Boating

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Greymare.

A 32' - 40' twin-screw powerboat shouldn’t be too much boat to learn on, given a modicum of study, prudence, and perhaps training. The first few dockings may be a little exciting, though.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:27   #6

Hi, and I'm so new, you're the first one I get to say "Welcome" to!

While I'm new,I have owned a few boats. Can't really say if a 40' is too much for you without knowing what you intend to do with it, but chances are, it is. Seems the first boat is usually bigger than what is really "required" by new boaters.

I can tell you that there is not much difference between sitting on a marine toilet and a good porta-potie. How many showers are you going to take over the weekend? Ever go camping for a weekend or a week?

I had thoughts of hauling my cuddy from lake to lake and staying aboard, that never happened, it stayed on one lake. Initially, we used it and it grew old as the new wore off. I sold it and lost money and stepped down for being on the water for the weekend.

There are 24 to 28/30 footers that have plenty of room for short outings, IMO, with the requirements you have mentioned. What I learned is always gosmaller than you think you need. In my area, boat dealers will always take boats in on trades for those moving up for more money, moving down, you can really take a hit.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:03   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I bought a 36' Mainship as my first "big" boat 10 years ago. It took a few months to get the hang of docking, (and a few more to train my family to handle the forward and aft lines). I found powerboating, (aside from a few snide comments from diehard sailers), to be a rewarding and educational experience. I have explored most of the waterways in my area without regard for the wind direction, or temperature extremes. Being able to sip an ice cold mimosa on the fly bridge with air conditioning, and an ice maker nearby is a convenience few sailboats share. The two cabins, (I have slept in both just for variety), are both roomy and comfortable with plenty of privacy.

Due to higher gas prices I've had to tone down the distance and speed of my trips, but still have the option of burying the throttle and making speeds of up to 20 kts, (no matter which direction, or how much wind).

(by the way did I mention my boat is now for sale?)

Where are you? what waterways are you planning to cruise? Where do you want to go?

I would stay under 40 ft to shorten the learning curve, (and the number of crew needed)...Singlehanding docking a 40 footer is a good jog from the fly bridge.

IN the 30 to 40 ft range you can get all the comforts of home on the water, I have a full sized fridge, shower, two heads, two cabins, salon, galley, (big enough for two people at the same time), dining area, enclosed aft deck, swim platform, 8.5kw generator that provides ac power to outlets all over the boat, two air conditioners, full sized electric stove, built in microwave, and regular 100watt bulb lighting throughout the boat, (yes she can run the blow dryer, if you don't have everything else running at once).

This was my first cabin cruiser, and gave us years of enjoyment, (my first boat was an 18ft runabout).

There are a number of my dockmates with 30ft Searays, they are very happy with them, (1 cabin only, but a large rear seating area).

Good luck with what you decide. Take a power squadron boating class, that will help you learn to use it safely.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:10   #8

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymare View Post
We were looking a 32' carver with twin engines. I'm just wondering if that is to much boat to start with.
I looked at one of those also, the tipping point was the Mainship had a full sized walkway to the bow, and a second cabin, (for children, guests), and an upper deck with dinghy cradle, and davit.

What price range, year Carver?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:57   #9

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:19   #10

The one that we are looking at is a 1985 3207. Our price range is 25k to 45k.
Old 09-08-2011, 17:52   #11

My first sailing experience was on a 40foot Newporter. I was taught very well by a seasoned sailor. His knowledge and my willingness and ability to adapt quickly were a good combination.

I suggest you get whatever size you feel most comfortable with and make sure you have someone who knows how to sail teach you.

Good luck~
WarmBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating