Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2009, 07:39   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
reminds me of the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Some cruisers leave their key in the ignition when going ashore, in case something happens (dragging, etc.), so another cruiser could climb onboard and secure the boat.
...half a dozen boats from my former yacht club were anchored at Drake's Bay, having an oyster roast ashore when we noticed one of our boats dragging. A few of us jumped into dinks and raced to the boat, where we discovered that the owner, who was still ashore, had removed the wheel to make it easier to get around the cockpit.
Old 28-10-2010, 18:35   #17

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: Recovering a Stolen Boat

Almost anywhere in the world you can go through the process of having the boat “arrested”. Simply, the authorities/harbourmaster secures the vessel while you have a chance to prove ownership. It is generally not a very complicated or expensive process. If you heard your boat was in a far port you can complete this process from a distance. No doubt you might get hit with mooring fees etc, but at least the boat should not be going anywhere till you can arrive and recover her.

At law possession and ownership are two different concepts. Based on having some sort of proof of ownership as described in the posts above you have a high chance of recovering your boat.
Old 28-10-2010, 19:28   #18

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mates. Ditto on the "what key". A cutout switch located in the starting circuit, in "secret" spot, used here when off the boat for long periods of time. We have several boats a year, mostly launches, but occasionally a yacht, stolen each year down here in N.Z. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 19:52   #19

Boat: 1975 tartan 27
Theft is not a concern for me. Electric powered engine which most aren't used to. Assuming they do figure out how to turn it on, the engine readout electronics currently indicate that the boat has twice as much range as actually available (need to get it reprogrammed over the winter) so they will be in for a rude surprise.
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 20:50   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The Key is in the rotary switch you turn to start the diesel engine. They come with a key in the end of the switch. You use the key to rotate the switch to engage the starter. My key was put in the switch at the switch factory and 20 years later it is still in the switch - don't think now I could actually get it out of the switch.
- - All the stolen boats I have heard of in the Caribbean have been charter boats - new catamarans. I even saw a stolen Catamaran in Luperon that was stolen from Martinique, that still has the boat show banners hanging on it. Kind of a dead giveaway that the boat was stolen along with the fact that the operator did not know how to put the thing in reverse and ran it into several other boats.
- - The cruiser network seems to locate the stolen boats very quickly as soon as the boat makes port.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 21:09   #21

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
2 sailboats at different times taken to Ketchikan from Puget Sound found due to 48 North magazine readers.

48° North - Letters
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 21:09   #22

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_astra View Post
Theft is not a concern for me. Electric powered engine which most aren't used to. Assuming they do figure out how to turn it on, the engine readout electronics currently indicate that the boat has twice as much range as actually available (need to get it reprogrammed over the winter) so they will be in for a rude surprise.
Likewise, there isn’t any warning on my dingy about the slow leaks! (might see if I swap or for the ocean kayak of get the Sikaflex out before I go too far).
Old 28-10-2010, 21:20   #23

I have a GPS/mobile phone tracker on my boat.. it also monitors my power levels, bilge levels and has an infra red entry sensor.. I purchased online at www.smart1marine.com.au.. now Ive heard if you have the system some insurance companies will waiver the standeard excess charge if you make any claim related to theft or power loss which effectively pays for the system.. easy to install cost $877..
moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 23:49   #24

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
I don't put engines in my boats, and most thieves are too dumb to sail off a gaff rigger. Not too many years ago, the world was big enough to get away with this kind of thing. These days, probably not - the entries here are very interesting. And should dampen any larcenous tendencies among readers ...
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 02:25   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

ROTFLMAO...................... I fot I thaw a puddytat a cwepin up on me...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 05:57   #26

I seem to recall reading somewhere that stolen boats had a high rate of recovery ... due to their small production numbers, distinctiveness and import-export formalities
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 02:00   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that stolen boats had a high rate of recovery ... due to their small production numbers, distinctiveness and import-export formalities
Not to mention their less than stellar get-away speeds...

"The boats been gone for 2 hours. Lets increase the all points bulletin to 10 miles..."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 03:20   #28

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Not to mention their less than stellar get-away speeds...

"The boats been gone for 2 hours. Lets increase the all points bulletin to 10 miles..."
It happened to one of my yacht masters. He just got the boys together calculated the average speed of the boat in the weather conditions at the time and phoned all the marinas within a 12 hour radius. They paid a visit to those who had new arrivals in that time period. Without raising any alarms they found the boat with the name poorly re-signed and asked the marina office as to the where abouts of the guy who sailed it in, they climbed aboard with a couple of members of the police and waited for the guy to finish his breakfast in the canteen and return to the vessel.
He did and met with a bad case on indigestion.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote