Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 12:49   #151
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Still Working (and winning) at Age 82

I have a retire now...work later plan....not sure when I'll implement the "work later" part....
Old 07-07-2020, 12:59   #152
Marine Service Provider

fishing is a tough way to enjoy retirement....I still do competition fishing, and a two day event can suck the life out of me, and I always swear this will be the last one, but the next year will find me at the starting line again...

I don't know where the " we don't use our bodies enough when fishing" comes in. After you've reeled in your 2nd or 3rd big fish....your arms feel like lead....and doing this on a boat that bounces along like a cat on a hot tin roof for 8-10 hours is mighty taxing.
Old 07-07-2020, 14:50   #153

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
fishing is a tough way to enjoy retirement....I still do competition fishing, and a two day event can suck the life out of me, and I always swear this will be the last one, but the next year will find me at the starting line again...

I don't know where the " we don't use our bodies enough when fishing" comes in. After you've reeled in your 2nd or 3rd big fish....your arms feel like lead....and doing this on a boat that bounces along like a cat on a hot tin roof for 8-10 hours is mighty taxing.
Lets face it most folks don't go for big fish. And do work that hard with a fish every couple days? Weekly? If not, you aren't getting much exercise just a chance at a heart attack.

The retire now, work later plan sounds like a good idea though which is what I sort of did in the mid 90's but it was do what I had plan to do in retirement while also working which is what I do now.

I fish sometimes just to catch dinner after work on my way home at the boat. I sail sometimes just a day sail, other times for days on end, I work, and exercise.

It's all about what you like but as we all know these days, it's best to stay in good shape and that means not one or two hard fishing trips per year where you bust ass for a day or so but every couple days or a few times per week.

And when your not fishing you can dance around you back yard or apartment just for heart health. I was near 170 bpm at the end of my run on Saturday.....because I over did it at the end and my body was kinda working so I went for 3/4 sprint speed (and I'm an old man)

Old 07-07-2020, 15:04   #154
Marine Service Provider

it's all in the mind...

about 5 years ago, I got whammied by a stroke....
Docs, told me, son, you are gonna live out your years in a wheelchair and nursing home....

My wife looked at the Docs, do you have any idea who you are talking to ???

Docs told her, get him to walk and around the nurses station and he can go home.

So she did exactly that, she yelled and screamed and cussed at me to get my lazy stroke ridden arse outa that comfy hospital bed and down the hall and she was yellin' at me all the way, you sumbitch, you promised me 40 good years, so you still owe me 20, so git movin' !!!

and move I did, and I'm still movin'. every morning, when my feet hit the floor, it's a new day....not only am walking around the nurse station, but walkin' miles every day, still fishing, still sailing, and yep, still workin'.

I discovered painting was something I could do sitting on my butt....so now, I paint, managing to sell my pieces for modest amounts...it's a great job, I am my own boss, can pick my own hours, and paint whatever the hell I like...

don't ever, never, let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Never !!!
Old 07-07-2020, 15:36   #155

Quote:
it's all in the mind...

about 5 years ago, I got whammied by a stroke....
Docs, told me, son, you are gonna live out your years in a wheelchair and nursing home....

My wife looked at the Docs, do you have any idea who you are talking to ???

Docs told her, get him to walk and around the nurses station and he can go home.

So she did exactly that, she yelled and screamed and cussed at me to get my lazy stroke ridden arse outa that comfy hospital bed and down the hall and she was yellin' at me all the way, you sumbitch, you promised me 40 good years, so you still owe me 20, so git movin' !!!

and move I did, and I'm still movin'. every morning, when my feet hit the floor, it's a new day....not only am walking around the nurse station, but walkin' miles every day, still fishing, still sailing, and yep, still workin'.

I discovered painting was something I could do sitting on my butt....so now, I paint, managing to sell my pieces for modest amounts...it's a great job, I am my own boss, can pick my own hours, and paint whatever the hell I like...

don't ever, never, let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Never !!!
Yeah, we've been thru that drill in my family also.....and are still dealing with it.
Old 07-07-2020, 17:08   #156

Boat: a sailing boat

These young people dancing ... they will get themselves into some serious skeletal trouble in the future. For me, it even hurts just to watch them !!! ;-)))

Then again, it is to live it, not to save it for later.

Stay alive and stay safe!

b.
Old 07-07-2020, 17:16   #157

Boat: a sailing boat

Interestingly, I just got this idea that Madonna's 'Time Goes by So Slowly' applies here too.

For it always goes slowly for the young ones, and then it accelerates a bit, and then another bit ...

It is scientifically proven too - time flies once we pass a certain point.

Geriatrics has a great future. But gods save the people who could be burdened with taking care of me.

b.
Old 07-07-2020, 17:56   #158
Marine Service Provider

y'know...there is no magic bullet here, but family support is a vital ingredient, better than any prescription...

I was on a floor in a rehab place (Brooks) that was entirely dedicated to stroke patients...as I recall ...150 beds...

Out of the 150 patients in there..men...women....youngster...all ages...etc...I would say that only about 3 patients, myself included, had family there...the rest were pretty much on their own. It was heartbreaking to see.

The staff, doctors, nurses, therapists, etc, were truly amazing...never seen such care and dedication....but family support is crucial.

Without my wife by my side, I'd be sitting in a nursing home right now, so I credit 100% of my recovery to her.

I could not swallow, so had a feeding tube inserted into my chest. When I got out of the hospital, my wife spoonfed me, she would cook a meal and throw it into the blender, refusing to inject this canned goop into my feeding tube.

A month after I got back, the feeding tube was removed. The Dr. that put it in told us, that he has inserted 1,000's of these, but this was the first time he took one out.

At first, it was short walks, 50 yds...100 yds...150 yds..., then on the beach, first 1/2 mile, now about 3 or 4.

Today, I do daily aerobics, weights and other exercises, and I fish a lot, I have my own fishing boat, so go out at least 20 times a year or more. My wife insists I take someone along for " just in case", so I do. I've spent about 40 years of my life on the water, so the ocean is no stranger to me. I still sail, not so much anymore, but......as long as I'm on the water, I'm happy.

I struggle with some pain on the right side of my body, but for the most part, ignore it.

My story is not everybody's story, but the human spirit is marvelous thing. Sometimes it needs to be kicked into action, like mine was.

It's been more than 5 years now......who woulda thunk??

I'm not as physically active as I once was, this is true, I can't jump over tall buildings anymore, but can still clamber around and have turned to other activities. I have penned a book, splash paint on canvas and do many other projects and still love being out on the water.

When is too old...old...I dunno...I never think about, worry about, care about it. Every day is a new day, a new adventure...and I do my damnest to enjoy it.
Old 07-07-2020, 21:09   #159

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just want to say good on you MicHughV. It's a hard slog back, but it sounds like you never give up, and always find the joy in the life that is right in front of you.

I had a rather catastrophic accident that took a while to recover from. I sure can relate to those initial short walks, which kept getting longer.

Keep on keeping on .
Old 08-07-2020, 05:53   #160
Marine Service Provider

yah, Mike, I have seen some remarkably recoveries over the years by people suffering from any number of calamities...

I don't know what it takes...a will to survive...dedication...prayer...miracle...love...a good mate.. a combination of all the above.....a personal outlook on life...I cannot say....

I've found that worldly sailors...in general....are a tough breed...you havta be independent minded....self sufficient...resourceful...have the ability to turn mud into a mudpie...a positive outlook on life...etc...etc...so that is a good start

At the end of the day, I've learned that age is irrelevant.....

My wife is 17 years my junior. When I first met her, the age difference became an early topic of conversation. As a likely curmudgeon candidate, and definitely an old sea dog, I thought to myself at the time " this is where I'm screwed"...but she though otherwise.....and I'm here to tell you we are the happiest couple on the planet...

She is adamant I still owe her another 20 " good" years...as promised...and I aim to deliver...
Old 09-07-2020, 04:26   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
These young people dancing ... they will get themselves into some serious skeletal trouble in the future. For me, it even hurts just to watch them !!! ;-)))

Then again, it is to live it, not to save it for later.

Stay alive and stay safe!

b.
I think they'll be fine My B. and may even be making their bones stronger.

Most appear to be very smooth as compared to some of us that run for miles and really pound hard.

These days I try to always run on trails rather than on a road and especially not on a hard sidewalk.

In the past I've had to switch to cycling to allow my shins to heal, but I'm a bit smoother now. (or maybe it's that I run so slow these days)

Again as I see these young folks, they appear to be quite smooth as they hit the various dance "floors" they are on.

Some smoother than others though

These folks are smoother yet.....

Old 09-07-2020, 04:56   #162

Quote:
yah, Mike, I have seen some remarkably recoveries over the years by people suffering from any number of calamities...

I don't know what it takes...a will to survive...dedication...prayer...miracle...love...a good mate.. a combination of all the above.....a personal outlook on life...I cannot say....

I've found that worldly sailors...in general....are a tough breed...you havta be independent minded....self sufficient...resourceful...have the ability to turn mud into a mudpie...a positive outlook on life...etc...etc...so that is a good start

At the end of the day, I've learned that age is irrelevant.....

My wife is 17 years my junior. When I first met her, the age difference became an early topic of conversation. As a likely curmudgeon candidate, and definitely an old sea dog, I thought to myself at the time " this is where I'm screwed"...but she though otherwise.....and I'm here to tell you we are the happiest couple on the planet...

She is adamant I still owe her another 20 " good" years...as promised...and I aim to deliver...
Sometimes it's simply which genes you have that possibly caused the problem in the first place and that possibly allowed you to get through it after it occurred.

I've heard it said that sometimes the worst most gloomy cancer patients survive whereas those that had a better outlook and great support didn't.

Also, you have to hope the doctor, if an operation is involved, doesn't go to deep or screw up the operation some how

Either way everyone involved is changed forever going through one of these "events."

The thing I learned is live while you can. And that means whether you are retired or still working. Don't pass up opportunities to enjoy life ........
Old 09-07-2020, 05:10   #163

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

All of the above, as well as dumb luck and some decent genes tossed in. But as you say, I think support from those around you is key -- at least it was for me.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:28   #164

On the other hand, many times inner strength and resolve are the key. along with about 100,000 variables having to do with the drugs, chemo, radiation, etc

Some not only have to deal with an illness but as it seems sometimes to me the master of the universe is like well, lets just see how strong this person is.

Let's have them deal with the illness and we'll throw in chemo to further tear down the parts of their body that are still working right.

It's hard to watch ..........
Old 09-07-2020, 06:28   #165
Marine Service Provider

yah, there is unquestionably the question of "when it's your time, it's your time"....nobody gets off this planet alive, this is a fact.

a car accident, war, a falling brick, anything...can put you away...there is simply no telling.

I look back over my life and can recall countless times.....that I've dodged the bullet, so to speak. No rhyme nor reason to it. Insanely dumb things I've done, but lived to tell the tale or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've lived a privileged life, and on this issue, there is no question...
Closed Thread

Tags
work