Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 08:27   #166

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Still Working (and winning) at Age 82

So true MicHughV. I always wanted to make a bummer sticker that says:

Life ... it'll kill ya!

Getting back to retirement vs wage work, the notion that the only real wealth we have is time. None of us knows how much we have, but once gone we can never get it back.

We all must trade some of our limited time to acquire the things we need and want to have a fulfilling life. In our societies that means working for an income which can then be turned into stuff of actual value. The question of retirement often comes down to determining how much time we need or want to trade for stuff.

I often wonder if those of us who have had actual brushes with mortality are better positioned to understand the trade off. We all know we are going to die someday, but for most of us it is still an abstract thought. Those of us who have come up to the precipice and actually peered into the abyss have learned what it really means.

This is certainly true for me. It's why I am focused on living as free as I can.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:06   #167
CLOD

Boat: none

Personally I don't care whether others want to retire or work forever. I just hope that they get to make the decision on their own terms and not get forced into it.

For me I put myself on an early retirement path at age 48 and retired at 56. If I had to do it again I would start at 45 (because that was the age and work life where I could really impact the decision greatly) and probably still have retired at 55. I planned to retire at 55, but a heart attack acturally got me to work an extra year to build up a better cushion. But then it was the last 5 years of work that probably affected having the heart attack to start with.

In the end do what you like and don't worry if faceless internet people want to do it different than you.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:12   #168
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

yah, money, it's a strange and addictive drug...very addictive, people kill for it.

back in the early 80's when I first hit the road to start my nomadic lifestyle...I didn't have a pot to piss in. If I had $5 in my pocket, I was rich.
But, I had no house payment, no boat payment, no dockage payments, no car, no gas bills, no utility bills, no insurance of any kind..nada..nothing...zilch.....just me and my boat..
I fished and dived for my food, almost all the time. Learned to bake my own bread, etc...I was fit as a fiddle, and required little else....ok...I lie....some rum

I never once thought about money, or where the next dollar would come from. "Saving" and "investing" were unknown words for me...when I needed some money, it always arrived, from who knows where...small amounts....$5 here...$5 there...but it was always " just enuff"

I lasted this way...for....hmmm...lemme think here...15-20 years maybe...it was a happy, carefree life and I reveled in the simplicity of it all.

Then for a period of time, I "swallowed the anchor", found a job, and slowly but surely got sucked into the mainstream....yep got an income, but also bills, lots of bills, and let's not forget taxes, which required that I worked longer and harder...it was a frickin' death spiral....most people never escape this spiral....it just sucks them in deeper and deeper...until the spiral spits out your bleached bones, having sucked you dry....

But, I escaped...in the nick of time....new boat...new life...

$$$$, you can't take it with you, that is for certain....I don't see much point in amassing millions in some bank account only to see your life waste away....

it's a philosophy of life.....but I acknowledge...different strokes for different folks...I know what works for me !!
Old 09-07-2020, 10:41   #169

Boat: Bristol 27

As I've said before, most know how to save and/or invest enough to retire early, but I believe you miss a lot if you do.

If you have a job that your hobbies can fit neatly around, it works great.

For me, I like some sports involving the water and am lucky enough to live a mile from the Bay and the ocean. The boat is on the way to work which is a 7 mile drive along the water. I also like to run and workout, and there are many facilities and trials at work where I can do just that. (I even take vacation hours to take Fun Runs at times!)

In my field, things are always changing. Computers, electronics even the large UPS Units that keep the systems up long enough for us to shut them down are always being upgraded as are the entire systems. All our old mainframes, 386, and 486, computers are gone. (not disposed of yet but offline)

Now there's Cyber Security, and we all must comply with the proper certification which is no cake walk. It's tough to learn new things in your mid 60's and them apply it on two timed 85 question exams but it feels good to get through it.

I'm thinking if you get maybe 20 years of retirement sort of like the first 20 years of life that would be great.

Even though many of us worked and went to school in our first 20 years, it was nothing because we were young and could do anything for as long as it needed to be done.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:59   #170

Boat: Helmsman 43 Trawler

I retired March 13th at age 57, about the same time it was becoming apparent that things would be different going forward. Our first trip got canceled but we just returned from a 6 week SoCal cruise. I couldn’t be gone that long in the past when I worked, so I was very grateful for the time with my wife and son. I have zero interest in going back to work and plenty of other things to do, boating being a big part of the equation. Unfortunately, it looks like the second wave of C19 will hit us hard, so we are leaving again soon for another multi week trip while we can. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get locked down this Fall, so I have a get it while we can attitude. With that said, we are believers in science and facts, so when we travel we avoid others, wear a mask, etc.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:43   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdpaddler50 View Post
I retired March 13th at age 57, about the same time it was becoming apparent that things would be different going forward. Our first trip got canceled but we just returned from a 6 week SoCal cruise. I couldn’t be gone that long in the past when I worked, so I was very grateful for the time with my wife and son. I have zero interest in going back to work and plenty of other things to do, boating being a big part of the equation. Unfortunately, it looks like the second wave of C19 will hit us hard, so we are leaving again soon for another multi week trip while we can. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get locked down this Fall, so I have a get it while we can attitude. With that said, we are believers in science and facts, so when we travel we avoid others, wear a mask, etc.
What is this lock down you speak of?

We (I'm mid 60's) didn't miss one day here at work, and some of us were going to the testing center to take the required exams to get our certs after marathon 10 weeks of nonstop studying (work days and weekends) plus working.

You had to pass the temperature check at the testing center first though just to get in........
Old 09-07-2020, 12:22   #172

Boat: Helmsman 43 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
What is this lock down you speak of?

It is a boating website, and I was referring to boating and cruising in my post. San Diego Bay was locked down for about a month. You could not take your boat out, paddle a kayak, or even go swimming in the Bay. Many of our beaches were also closed. They are all open now, but I would not be surprised if we see it again in the Fall as the amount of cases continue to grow.
Old 09-07-2020, 14:55   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdpaddler50 View Post
It is a boating website, and I was referring to boating and cruising in my post. San Diego Bay was locked down for about a month. You could not take your boat out, paddle a kayak, or even go swimming in the Bay. Many of our beaches were also closed. They are all open now, but I would not be surprised if we see it again in the Fall as the amount of cases continue to grow.
Yeah, I was sort of joking.

It's weird though. I don't think my neighbors have left their apartment since mid March.

They have their food delivered, and it just lays there in front of their door until they decide to get it which is usually in the middle of the night.

I had one of my guys pass away in mid December from some pneumonia related thing that at first he seem to beat then he was gone which sounded a lot like Covid 19.

I have had weird body thermostat problems until recently but no temp. (at least none when I am tested. i don't own a thermometer) But you know when things are not right.

We have ships in here daily from all over the world so .....go figure.

I don't believe I could handle being locked down though for too long which is my cruising problem of being possibly stuck on a boat at anchor for a too many days....or out at sea stuck too long in the doldrums.

I'd get thru it, but I would't call it enjoyable. My boat has a 5 hp outboard as it's main auxiliary so I have limited motoring range.

Of course if stuck in the calms you could possibly get on the bow (foredeck) and go for it with the right music.....

Old 10-07-2020, 04:02   #174

One of my biggest fears, working in a field with so many people who didn't know how to retire, or to find a life, or a purpose, outside of work, was that I would have the same problem when it came time to pull the plug. One of the things that used to be pounded into us was, this isn't just a job, this is your life, and who you are. And, so many people bought it.

And, the irony of it was, the agency had constructed a very generous early retirement system, because it was the type of job that was so hard on people (one year 6 people out of our workforce of 4200 were killed at work, and I don't know how many were injured).

We actually had one guy who was killed on his last day of work, after his retirement luncheon, and after his wife and kids had left to drive home, because, he wanted to go out and work, one more time.

And, we had people that literally just wouldn't leave. Before I left, my boss called me one Friday evening to tell how he had just had to talk one of our guys, a friend of mine, in another office nearby, off the ledge his last day of work (mandatory age related retirement) who refused to leave the office his last day. The other guys kept trying to get him to leave at the end of the day, and he kept saying, "You guys go ahead, I'll lock up when I leave" and they had to keep gently reminding him, "You don't work here any more."

Retiring can be very scary for many people. I admit I had a lot of anxiety attacks as my requested requirement came closer. I could have worked five more years before mandatory retirement age (or even afterwards in a contract position, until I died, which a few people there managed to do!), which would have put another half million or so in my retirement savings account. And it's impossible to not have those moments where you wonder if you are doing the right thing, if you have any sense at all.

But, I found out that I didn't have that problem very long, because I would drive by and see our sailboat, sitting there waiting for us, for what turned out to be the biggest adventures of my life, and all anxiety would be gone! The trade was so worth it.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:25   #175

Why wait to sail?

You can sail almost anywhere at anytime in your life.

I saw a Hobie 16 sailing on Senator Wash (Arizona desert) back in the day.

I started (sailing) in a pond in Tennessee.

Senators Wash

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...4d-114.4655036
Old 10-07-2020, 05:24   #176

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
One of my biggest fears, working in a field with so many people who didn't know how to retire, or to find a life, or a purpose, outside of work, was that I would have the same problem when it came time to pull the plug. One of the things that used to be pounded into us was, this isn't just a job, this is your life, and who you are. And, so many people bought it. ...
Retiring can be very scary for many people. I admit I had a lot of anxiety attacks as my requested requirement came closer. I could have worked five more years before mandatory retirement age (or even afterwards in a contract position, until I died, which a few people there managed to do!), which would have put another half million or so in my retirement savings account. And it's impossible to not have those moments where you wonder if you are doing the right thing, if you have any sense at all.
So true. These messages that your job is your life are all around us in our societies. I believe that is one of the reasons some people have such a hard time letting go. When your job is key to your identity and your social standing, it makes perfect sense that people have a hard time transitioning to something else.

Thomm, perhaps the difference between you and me (and others here) is that it's not about making time for a hobby. It's not about going sailing. Cruising is a whole different lifestyle. Sailing is only one small part of this.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:18   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Why wait to sail?

You can sail almost anywhere at anytime in your life.

I saw a Hobie 16 sailing on Senator Wash (Arizona desert) back in the day.

I started (sailing) in a pond in Tennessee.

Senators Wash

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...4d-114.4655036
I've owned two different Hobie 16's, and four other sailboats. That's not what we are talking about.

We get it. You're on a cruising forum, telling us why you don't want to cruise, and why you think no one else should, either. I don't understand it, but I do get it.

I don't macrame. But, you have inspired me to find a macrame forum to tell them why I think they shouldn't do it.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:27   #178
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

yah, my first "sailing" experience, as a young child, was in a 44 gallon drum, that had been cut lengthwise in half. Fitted with a broomstick, a bedsheet, some string and other odds and ends, I successfully navigated (floated) across a muddy watering hole. Looking back, thankful that I survived, it was to kindle my love for sailing that has endured for a lifetime.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:07   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I think there can be a balance between the two. I retired at 43 after an an opportunity to exit a successful business I owned popped up unexpectedly. That was 6 years ago now, initially I thought I’d take a year break and then buy another business and do it all over again. All that changed after a 2 months, I was returning from a snowboarding trip to China to go look at a business, and while in the customs line I looked around and everyone in line was a middle aged dude, over weight, disheveled, and not one smile...it was there that I asked myself why in the hell would I spend one more day making money!
Not sure what being over weight and not smiling has to do with working or retiring.

It has a lot to do with your job, your location, and your hobbies.

The guy doing projects in his workshop is lucky. He knows what he likes. If I was stuck in a workshop doing that sort of thing, it would be torture. Being inside in a room working on stuff.

Some like constant motion and constant change at least until total or near exhaustion then reboot. (rest and restart)
Old 10-07-2020, 07:09   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I've owned two different Hobie 16's, and four other sailboats. That's not what we are talking about.
I'm not talking about boats either. I'm talking about why wait until you are 35, 45, etc to sail or to enjoy your favorite things in life..

You mentioned your sailboat waiting so I was addressing that........why wait?

Point is you can work and do the other too with some jobs.......in some locations
Closed Thread

Tags
work