Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 17:46   #31

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Re: Stunning blog

I read a lot of blogs and there is much to appreciate on this one. They have really great photos for one thing. It is focused on the "living" part of the experience vs the getting there part so don't expect stories of fighting storms for days on end. Ya I think they are funding the trip with articles but good for them finding an income source. So I for one can reco the blog.

Cheers
Old 05-11-2011, 17:47   #32

Boat: Island Packet 35
Seriously....I don't know what alot of your issues are. So freaking what someone used this blog as a marketing attempt. How many "check my blog" posts occur here daily. Sounds alot like jealousy to me. Everyone is doing something to bring in extra income while cruising. He is clearly a very talented photographer, looks like commercial stock work. Oh and she is a stunning model. Let's all hate the people who don't try and sell stupid homemade jewelry. Bottomline: they are cruising, living the life alot of people wish they had. If you can't be happy for others you'll never find happiness in your own life!
Old 05-11-2011, 18:11   #33
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Stunning Blog

Jealous? What a strange expression. To be jealous you have to perceive some sort of value in something...which clearly I for one do not.

"Oh and she is a stunning model"

I love how the male lauders always point to that as if its an afterthought and not influencing their judgement ROFL!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 18:27   #34

Boat: Orca 38

I find this unsettling. I see nothing wrong now, nor have I ever seen anything wrong with their blog.

So they're doing this in a way that some don't approve of (bumfuzzled) and they get slammed for it ...... Repeatedly?

After some of the pretentious BS I read on here from some of you I am truly amazed.

Get a life. Better yet, go sailing and get off your high chair.
Old 05-11-2011, 18:32   #35
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Bumfuzzled - hmmm is that a new official term? I like it.
Old 05-11-2011, 19:31   #36

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I'm amazed that this still raizes so much passion.

I'm a cynic by nature and provocative (sometimes) for entertainment.
I have a forked tongue for the sole purpose of having it firmly in each cheek...
But just when I think I have some understanding of people and the world, I find there are still a lot of strange ones with short fuses.

Just sayin'...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 05-11-2011, 20:59   #37

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'

It's funny, I read lots of sailing and cruising blogs, but there is something kind of pretentious or self absorbed or *something* about that one. Artsy pretty photos, sure, and to each his own, fine, but that's not it. I'm the last one on earth to buy into class envy and all this "Occupy" junk lately -- if you can make a billion dollars on pet rocks and retire at 20 and sail your super yacht off the French Riviera the rest of your idle life, fantastic. However, there's something oddly off-putting about that one. Kind of reminds me of that Saturday Night Live skit years ago with those weird art dealers named Nuni and Nuni who made you sit on chairs made of toast.

I wonder if they've ever had to sweat a utility bill or clear a clog in a vacuflush head. Bet we don't get artsy Vouge-ish photos of that!
Old 05-11-2011, 23:10   #38

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Debatable
unless there is a rare article of interest
Try reading one of the hundred pages that they have written on one of the hundreds of locations they have cruised to. At least these guys are actually out cruising. A lot of people on "Cruisers" forum are just here to fantasize criticize.

And so what if they are idealizing the activity. I would rather hear about a how amazing a meal is that they had with some great friends or see how great his girlfriend looked than read about someone's latest holding tank disaster.

And for those of you who would call these folks shallow and just eye candy go head and read this:

"To sail the world. In our own tempo. Simple, bohemian and close to the nature. With the comfort of the boat - our home, which would take us from one inspiring place to another. We wanted to bring ourselves on a tour across the globe where the possibilities of a peaceful, harmonic, inspiring and fulfilling life would grow for each stop along the journey. "

-Taru (yes the hot one)

Yeah these people are total dicks huh?

Don't read a book by it's cover.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:01   #39

Boat: Gib sea 43

A very serious blog, they never smile! very business like, we have a word in scotland -poser, kinda like peacocks, look at me, look at me, But if they make money out of it and it lets them cruise, then good luck to them!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
A very serious blog, they never smile! very business like, we have a word in scotland -poser, kinda like peacocks, look at me, look at me, But if they make money out of it and it lets them cruise, then good luck to them!
Models almost never smile. Looking slightly pissed off is the cool look.
I've got kids and step kids... I know these things lol

Old 06-11-2011, 04:06   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Try reading one of the hundred pages that they have written on one of the hundreds of locations they have cruised to. At least these guys are actually out cruising. I made this very point, but you seem to have missed it in your selection of quotes. A lot of people on "Cruisers" forum are just here to fantasize criticize.

And so what if they are idealizing the activity. I would rather hear about a how amazing a meal is that they had with some great friends or see how great his girlfriend looked than read about someone's latest holding tank disaster. Agreed, for the first 20 times or so. But I also read blogs to learn how other cruisers solved disasterous issues.

And for those of you who would call these folks shallow and just eye candy go head and read this: I don't think many have said they are shallow. Rather that they are smart and professional, and successfully exploiting their niche.... of shallow, eye candy susceptible... etc etc

"To sail the world. In our own tempo. Simple, bohemian and close to the nature. You're kidding, right? With the comfort of the boat - our home, which would take us from one inspiring place to another. We wanted to bring ourselves on a tour across the globe where the possibilities of a peaceful, harmonic, inspiring and fulfilling life would grow for each stop along the journey. "

-Taru (yes the hot one)

Yeah these people are total dicks huh? I think you may be reading your own interpretation into what is actually being said.

Don't read a book by it's cover.
It looks to me as though you have missed a lot of the complimentary stuff that has been said.
But their beautiful pictures are, by their own statements, posed and photoshopped, and there to entertain.
That is to say, they are an illusion, an exageration, because real isn't good enough for the image they want to project.
Nothing wrong with that as long as you take it for the fantasy it is.

But why would you think for a moment that if they need to make their photos better than the reality, that their text would escape similar treatment?
That's just naive...

Old 06-11-2011, 04:29   #42

OMG I just cant believe the pretentious people [mod edit] on this forum..

If you are dirt poor, struggling to live day by day and as a result look down on people who don't know "how tough life is", then you are probably more pretentious than the people you despise. Get over your sense of superiority
Old 06-11-2011, 04:36   #43

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Since I love to sail and I have a blog, I like looking at other people's blogs. I checked out thiers. Although it is not my cup of tea, more power to'em. They are the ultra high end, I am not, but I am not going to bash them because they are not like me. We are not high end cruisers, or part of the $500 a month club either. More like the $1,000 a month crowd. If I had to only eat beans and rice week after week and crap in a bucket 365 days a year, I probably wouldn't go cruising.

Cruising is about freedom and fun. So it is different for everyone. Most of us have as much fun as we can afford. The trick is to be happy with what you can afford.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:40   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
But their beautiful pictures are, by their own statements, posed and photoshopped, and there to entertain.
That is to say, they are an illusion, an exageration, because real isn't good enough for the image they want to project.
Nothing wrong with that as long as you take it for the fantasy it is.
You really don't have a clue.

Photos "out of the camera" almost NEVER do the subject justice and have ALWAYS been enhanced. What do you want, everyone to produce crappy point & shoot like photos?

For the record, in the "good old days" before digital, photographers would select the film they used based on the effect they want. Then in the darkroom, the way they developed the negative would affect the image and the same applies to when they make the print. Different papers gave different looks. Then for magazines and art they might airbrush the image.

With digital, if you are not totally clueless, you will shoot in raw wich tends to give a dull image, but it contains the raw data form the sensor which ultimately gives you the best quality. That image need to be edited and it is very popular among photographers to edit the image to give the same final affect they used to get when they used X brand film.

There is nothing "fantasy" about their photos
Old 06-11-2011, 05:17   #45
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Cruising costs are a popular topic here, and Taru has posted theirs - LINK

Summary:
Food cost: €600
Customs, mooring, harbor fees: €370
Boat maintenance: €275
Laundry: €40
Insurance: €250
Internet: €200
+ Shopping: €100

€1835 or $2644 per month.

By comparison, when we were cruising the same islands, we didn't spend nearly what they have listed for Customs etc, boat maintenance, and laundry. The €200 Internet cost is the monthly fee for their satellite system. They're definitely not in the $500/month class, but not outrageously over the top, either. They certainly seem to get a lot of enjoyment of life out of US$32,000 per year.