Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 15:39   #1

Stunning Blog

Those of you who have the latest Yachting World may have seen this blog and if you have not seen it, then I think it is well worth visiting.

It is a very professional looking blog with fantastic photos. It is probably more like a travel magazine than a dull sailing blog.

THE WORLD TOUR - Alex and Taru sailing around the world. Hallberg Rassy 352 for sale.

Oh yeah, the author is drop dead gorgeous
Old 04-11-2011, 15:56   #2

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Re: Stunning blog

It is all a bit out of my price range. I'm just one of the 99%
Old 04-11-2011, 16:15   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
snip

Oh yeah, the author is drop dead gorgeous
Really? I didn't notice

Old 04-11-2011, 16:21   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Interesting to see that they're here on Nevis.

Alex and Taru posted here on CF a while back, but were met by a few unrelenting critics, so they left.

Too bad!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:07   #5

Just saw their post here and references to a deleted thread. I assume that the blog was too professional for some people, she was too good looking for others and for the rest they were too young doing what most wait until their retirement to do ????
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rofl... the two were bashed so hard for their idea of sailing around the word that they ceased their communcation with us.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rofl... the two were bashed so hard for their idea of sailing around the word that they ceased their communcation with us.
They got bashed for their blog? Or something else? Its pretty cruddy to attack someone's blog if they're just hanging out on the forum. Its not like anyone forces you to read their blog.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:56   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

They got bashed for spamming the site.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
They got bashed for spamming the site.
That I can understand.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:01   #10

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Oh heck no! Just went over to check out that blog... never seen such a blatant sell-out to blog sponsorship in my life! Read like a brochure for __(insert sponsor name here)___. Stunning blog? Now if you want stunning, real life adventure of the cruising sailor, better to check out Zee's blog S/K Solitary Bird | The official site of the Sailing Ketch or my blog Follow the Journey: Home
We may not have her cute derriere, but that one probably hasn't remained clenched tight at the helm for hours, battling high winds and seas. We have earned our battle-weary behinds, and are proud of it.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:03   #11
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
Oh heck no! Just went over to check out that blog... never seen such a blatant sell-out to blog sponsorship in my life! Read like a brochure for __(insert sponsor name here)___. Stunning blog? Now if you want stunning, real life adventure of the cruising sailor, better to check out Zee's blog S/K Solitary Bird | The official site of the Sailing Ketch or my blog Follow the Journey: Home
We may not have her cute derriere, but that one probably hasn't remained clenched tight at the helm for hours, battling high winds and seas. We have earned our battle-weary behinds, and are proud of it.
Damn right!
Old 05-11-2011, 14:11   #12

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Debatable

They hit this forum with about half a dozen identical new threads all at once, as they did on many other boating/sailing forums. It was a blatant marketing stunt to get site hits to get new and satisfy existing sponsorship.
I doubt they would spend much time participating in forum banter or contribute to answering members' questions.

They are very slick and professional, as any expensive glossy magazine should be. They also answered a few questions I asked about their photography at the height of the tea cup storm, in a courteous, even friendly manner... the more ongoing followers they can attract the more successful their blog is.

BUT, I don't read many magazines because few are 'real' in our world. Their readership is armchair sailors, weekend racers and posers, and create an impression that they have the centre stage of the sailing life. In fact with few exceptions, they are the fringe. It's a weird, commercially driven distortion.

Taru and Alex are even further disadvantaged in the reality stakes because they epitomize the current youthful, tragic, empty, nausiatingly vain "...lookit ME, lookit ME" culture... with the subliminal '... you poor substandard (exploitable) human beings'.

Like most centre-of-attention junkies, reality has nothing to do with it. Image is everything. So photos are posed and photoshopped to buggery. The images are slick and perfect and have about as much warmth as fashion models strutting a catwalk.

So, for armchair sailors and glossy magazine addicts, they have hit their mark and fill a niche.
To their credit, they are actually doing the trip, unlike most readers.

I actually hop onto their site a couple of times a year, much like I flick through a sailing magazine in a news agency. Then, most times I put it back... unless there is a rare article of interest

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 05-11-2011, 14:26   #13
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Wow VirtualVagabond (VV). You summed it up so well, and in such a very well written way.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 14:29   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 352

Sorry, I read too fast. Virtual Vagabond you have actually a bit more substance in your post. You have got the point at many parts. It IS a glossy travel magazine much more than a boring cruising blog, and that is also the reason why it has so many readers. If you like it read it, if you don't read something else and move on with your own life. Life is too precious to be spent getting upset and irritated for what other people do or have achieved in their lives.
Old 05-11-2011, 14:46   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Now you see why they were bashed for spamming.
Closed Thread