Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2011, 15:57   #1

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Suggested Conduct?

might be a way to shorten so many threads..... flow chart for discussions?

http://www.simoleonsense.com/infogra...al-discussion/
Old 27-03-2011, 16:01   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: suggested conduct?

Uhhh, Yep.

Should be required reading.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 17:07   #3

Try this link
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-cont...Discussion.jpg
Old 27-03-2011, 17:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

If we started applying that around here there wouldnh't be much left to read

Seriously though it is a great flowchart and that line "Can you envision anything that will change your mind on this topic?" is beautiful and at the very heart of reasonable discourse.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 17:18   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Here's something I wrote up about discussion techniques.

==> DACUST - The Art of Discussion

-dan
Old 27-03-2011, 19:19   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Without intending to cast dispersions on any contributors, what is wrong with stating your opinion/advice/observation in clear non-threatening language, respecting each others point of view, accepting others views and trying to make a positive contribution to the discussion? Do we need flow charts, direction or criticism to do that? Just an observation... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 19:25   #7
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Without intending to cast dispersions on any contributors, what is wrong with stating your opinion/advice/observation in clear non-threatening language, respecting each others point of view, accepting others views and trying to make a positive contribution to the discussion? Do we need flow charts, direction or criticism to do that? Just an observation... cheers, Capt Phil
You are quite correct. But, judging from some of the posts we get in here, not everyone has your attitude. Luckily most do.

-dan
Old 27-03-2011, 19:42   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thx, dacust... I agree. CF sets itself apart from other forums where folks with an axe or whatever to grind get carried away. Thanks to our moderators who try and ride herd on all of us to keep it non-political, on point and polite. The ocean draws independent, self reliant folks who do not suffer posturing, pontificating and BS casually. We are all here because of the common bond of the love of cruising and a thirst for shared knowledge we all have .. cheers, CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 19:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Thanks for noticing Phil. Being your basic flawed humans we make mistakes but we do try.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 21:34   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Rules committee?

Some what valid, but really? Really? The mods and forum rules are enough for me.

The best threads are a run on, an open brain storm of thoughts and personal passionate expression. I wouldn't apply more restrictions to them. Even when I don't agree. Prevent long threads? Make us all agree before progression of thought? Why?

A kaleidoscope of perspective is what moves every thing forward. Ideas and epiphanies are to be had here! And from reading here I've had plenty of both. I think it would be a shame to have too much structure. It works for me as is.

Was that acceptable? I have no scientific backing on how a sentence started a fire in my soul, that inspired me to dream, that compelled me to learn and to persue, learn, read, do, or to follow a passion. To make small successions along that path that is the journey!

It's just flat out inspiring. Then there's the common sense anchoring of other's opinions that add balance. But structure to threads? Follow a template? That, to me, is crazy talk! Don't mess with what ain't broke.

Oh no! I think I just broke the sermon rule!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 21:43   #11

I think the graphic is a great reminder.

Now if we could just get some talk show folks to abide.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 05:45   #12
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Rules committee?

Some what valid, but really? Really? The mods and forum rules are enough for me.

The best threads are a run on, an open brain storm of thoughts and personal passionate expression. I wouldn't apply more restrictions to them. Even when I don't agree. Prevent long threads? Make us all agree before progression of thought? Why?

A kaleidoscope of perspective is what moves every thing forward. Ideas and epiphanies are to be had here! And from reading here I've had plenty of both. I think it would be a shame to have too much structure. It works for me as is.

Was that acceptable? I have no scientific backing on how a sentence started a fire in my soul, that inspired me to dream, that compelled me to learn and to persue, learn, read, do, or to follow a passion. To make small successions along that path that is the journey!

It's just flat out inspiring. Then there's the common sense anchoring of other's opinions that add balance. But structure to threads? Follow a template? That, to me, is crazy talk! Don't mess with what ain't broke.

Oh no! I think I just broke the sermon rule!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
I agree with you. No knew rules needed. The mods do a great job striking a balance to allow the threads you mention.

When I said "required reading" I actually meant it somewhat facetiously. But I can see how it could have been interpreted differently.

If I had the choice, I'd rather have the forum just as it is rather than clamp down further. It would be nicer if more people learned to discuss rather than argue. But I'm not suggesting there's really anything we can do about it. Except maybe discussing it in this thread might possibly affect one or two?

-dan
Old 28-03-2011, 06:11   #13

folks...its a joke, not to be taken seriously...
Old 28-03-2011, 07:17   #14

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: suggested conduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
The ocean draws independent, self reliant folks who do not suffer posturing, pontificating and BS casually.
Doug, I saw it was a joke, and I'd be the last one to want more rules of any kind if they apply to me. The sole criticism I have of CF is that we're too durn nice. That niceness allows a few hardheads to posture, pontificate, and bs to a degree that often offends me, and I have been "modded" for a reaction or two (in a nice way). I have yet to hit the ignore button but wouldn't be surprised if others ignore me. It's not like I have any serious expectation of changing someone's thinking or behavior.

One of my many pet peeves is the post that says "Hi, I'm brand new to sailing and have decided to sail around the world. I have more money than
an Arabian oil man, what boat shall I buy?" Ignoring my jealousy, I have no patience for this poster. I want to jump up and down and blow a gasket but this forum has shown me, yet again, I am out of step with the rest of the world.

I am surprised daily that this doesn't bother any of you super nice folks who will spend all the time it takes to type out an endless rehash of this very tired topic. I try not to read these threads but I often get sucked in.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 09:31   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Here's something I wrote up about discussion techniques.

==> DACUST - The Art of Discussion

-dan
Interesting write up Dacust. I enjoyed reading it and also gaining a better insight. I believe there is another type as well. Slightly more polished. Where would you put on your list or how would you define a "Controller" One who perhaps may be any combination of your three classifications. But this person feels slightly superior to the person who they are speaking with. He uses your good points to manipulate they way he feels the disscussion should flow and perhaps somewhat patronizes the other person because he is sure he better understands the art of good disscussion. I think just classifiying him sanctimonious, as you warn against in your conclusions, does not quite pin point him. Just trying to be a #1
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

« Mac Sux! | Winlink »