Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2022, 21:59   #3016
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: The 2021 & 2022 Joke Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Further to Ann's astute post, it is disruptive or argumentative comments about other members' jokes that are being deleted. Nice comments are generally accepted. Quoting a previous joke and making a negative comment about the joke is enough to have the comment deleted.

Political satire is a sticking point and it is hard to determine was is satire and what is simply political comment. Recently the posts have go downhill from a witty political satire to outright political comment.

I believe we want humour here, not shouting slogans. Unfortunately I don't expect any change soon but I love it if I was proved wrong. Please do you best to prove me wrong and see if we can get back to humour sooner rather than later.
I was amazed to find radical political posts in this thread and upon contacting mods, learn that this is allowed. I’m hoping that they change their minds and stop all political and religious posts, jokes or not. In the mean time, I’ll post the opposite side of whatever others post… pushing to see how far this goes before all of it is shut down.

Please stop allowing every political/religious post, regardless of side, faction, church and if it is a joke or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E290563-4F4F-4428-ACDB-7F069EA48B64.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	259251  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 22:58   #3017

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I was amazed to find radical political posts in this thread and upon contacting mods, learn that this is allowed. I’m hoping that they change their minds and stop all political and religious posts, jokes or not. In the mean time, I’ll post the opposite side of whatever others post… pushing to see how far this goes before all of it is shut down.

Please stop allowing every political/religious post, regardless of side, faction, church and if it is a joke or not.
i agree with you 100%. however when does a joke about politicians (and lets face it, they are all jokes) become a political comment ?

it's easy to tell the difference at each end of the spectrum, however it's the grey area in the middle that is causing the problem

cheers,
Old 08-06-2022, 23:00   #3018
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Just seeing if we (the mods) are understanding you correctly. You want us to control what you post rather than you controlling what you post. So if you see something you don't like, it is OK for you to post the opposite but you would rather the mods to delete whatever we see as inappropriate. Sort of like the government (of CF) telling the members what is best for them.

It is possible I have misinterpreted your intent.

Where the problem lies is in what constitutes political / religious jokes. Where is the line between joke /satire / commentary? The only sure thing is we have crossed somewhere lately.

Which reminds me of a joke but one relevant to this conversation.

The vast centre of Australia is a huge desert. For the handful of huge stations (ranches ) that occupy the centre, the main topic of conversation is rainfall or more accurately the lack of it.

On the eastern fringes when meeting a stranger, the proper conversation starter is "G'day, have you had much rain?".

The correct response is "A bit, but it's pretty dry at the moment - no use complaining - its worse out west".

On the western fringes when meeting a stranger, the proper conversation starter is "G'day, have you had much rain?".

The correct response is "A bit but it's pretty dry at the moment - no use complaining - its worse out east".

No one knows where the centre of Australia is but everyone knows when the response changes, they have passed through the centre.

Lately this thread has passed through the centre of what is borderline funny to simply political shouting. If the members can't be responsible enough to get back to the funny side, the mods will use their guns to decide for you and your guns won't protect you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 23:21   #3019

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just seeing if we (the mods) are understanding you correctly. You want us to control what you post rather than you controlling what you post. So if you see something you don't like, it is OK for you to post the opposite but you would rather the mods to delete whatever we see as inappropriate. Sort of like the government (of CF) telling the members what is best for them.

It is possible I have misinterpreted your intent. Where the problem lies is in what constitutes political / religious jokes. Where is the line between joke /satire / commentary? The only sure thing is we have crossed somewhere lately..
You misread me, I wrote:
Quote:
You don’t have to determine if it is a joke or not, I (and I’m sure a large majority of members with me) want all political and religious posts to be banned. All of it.

You already control what we post, that is what forum rules and moderators do. I’m asking for a change, not something new. On political side there always is a 50/50 ratio so you will always find arguing and more and more radical posts. I am not from the US and I dislike all politicians but I do not agree with letting one side of the US spectrum rant on and on unchallenged. By allowing that, it is inevitable that others counter those posts.

Our political systems have turned tribal with election winners persecuting the losers and all who worked or voted for them. Don’t let that tribalism seep into the forum.

For religion it is the same. A cartoon showing Mohammed being sodomized is called humor by some while others call for Jihad and start the killing over it. Expecting respect and decency from forum members when whole nations can’t bring that up is too much to ask I’m afraid.

Old 09-06-2022, 00:08   #3020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I am with uncle Bob here as well. Please feel free to delete this as appropriate. I am here for the funny, which may be political, but not for the straight up political.

Me too.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 00:11   #3021

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
You misread me, I wrote:

You don’t have to determine if it is a joke or not, I (and I’m sure a large majority of members with me) want all political and religious posts to be banned. All of it.

You already control what we post, that is what forum rules and moderators do. I’m asking for a change, not something new. On political side there always is a 50/50 ratio so you will always find arguing and more and more radical posts. I am not from the US and I dislike all politicians but I do not agree with letting one side of the US spectrum rant on and on unchallenged. By allowing that, it is inevitable that others counter those posts.

Our political systems have turned tribal with election winners persecuting the losers and all who worked or voted for them. Don’t let that tribalism seep into the forum.

For religion it is the same. A cartoon showing Mohammed being sodomized is called humor by some while others call for Jihad and start the killing over it. Expecting respect and decency from forum members when whole nations can’t bring that up is too much to ask I’m afraid.
Mate, basically I agree with you however the mods are a voluntary workforce and the onus is on the membership to post what is generally considered acceptable to the broad spectrum of the membership, not what the overworked VOLUNTARY mods are here for. If you wouldn't send it to your mum, don't post it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 00:16   #3022

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Mate, basically I agree with you however the mods are a voluntary workforce and the onus is on the membership to post what is generally considered acceptable to the broad spectrum of the membership, not what the overworked VOLUNTARY mods are here for. If you wouldn't send it to your mum, don't post it.
But they do. I understand that the mods aren’t looking forward to determining what is a political joke and what is just a slogan, or if a joke is too radical or not. Disallowing all political and religious posts is as easy as disallowing nudity, the F-word etc.

Old 09-06-2022, 00:20   #3023

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
A priest,a rabbi, an iman, a buddhist monk and an athiest are <censored>
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 00:23   #3024

Jedi, you are asking for all political and religious jokes to be banned.
Other members ask for gender based jokes to be banned.
Other members ask for sexual orientation jokes to be banned.
Other members ask for nationality based jokes to be banned.
Some would really like jokes based on hair colour to be banned.
Etcetera...

Everyone's viewpoint has equal value.

The rational (and easiest) outcome is simply to close all Joke threads yet the joke thread remains one of the most visited forums. This tells us members want jokes...they just don't want the jokes that offend them personally, childish really.

Going by the number jokes actually posted, they "appear" to want political jokes.

Once again everyone, please use the ignore function if you are unhappy with what you read on the joke thread. It is your responsibility to decide what you see, not the overworked moderation team
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 09-06-2022, 00:31   #3025

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^

WELL SAID, Wottie... from a volunteer mod who really, really hates to get involved with deciding whose sensibilities we will honor today.

So, come on folks! You are notionally adults, one and all, and should be able to decide for yourselves what jokes to read and which to ignore. Don't depend upon others to uphold your particular set of mores and prejudices.

Jim
Old 09-06-2022, 00:41   #3026

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Etcetera...

The rational (and easiest) outcome is simply to close all Joke threads yet the joke thread remains one of the most visited forums. This tells us members want jokes...they just don't want the jokes that offend them personally, childish really.

Going by the number jokes actually posted, they "appear" to want political jokes.

Once again everyone, please use the ignore function if you are unhappy with what you read on the joke thread. It is your responsibility to decide what you see, not the overworked moderation team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
^^^^^

WELL SAID, Wottie... from a volunteer mod who really, really hates to get involved with deciding whose sensibilities we will honor today.

So, come on folks! You are notionally adults, one and all, and should be able to decide for yourselves what jokes to read and which to ignore. Don't depend upon others to uphold your particular set of mores and prejudices.

Jim
Above are quotes from forum moderators. This is one of the rules of this forum:

Quote:
Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
which is violated imo but I understand that it’s okay when such posts are labeled as a joke.

I know, this thread is the money maker

Old 09-06-2022, 00:42   #3027

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Funny joke
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1B9605AC-5638-4372-94C9-7B3C43284B57.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	259253  

Old 09-06-2022, 01:08   #3028
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:45   #3029

For the umpteenth time.

Jokes frequently take digs at certain groups based on sex, race, nationality, religion, political views expressed, even hair colour, etc. Deleting these should not be done just because someone or even a specific group chooses to get offended. Also, standards have always been a lot more relaxed here when it comes to coarse language.

Mods don't like censorship and we particularly don't like doing it when you can self censor. We have explained the ignore function (either ignore particular members or ignore the entire thread) and we ain't going to hold your hand anymore. You gotta grow up sometime and take responsibility for your own sensibilities. We ain't going to keep repeating ourselves.

You have had a day of being able to comment on the joke thread and that ends after this post. Future comments will be deleted without notice (unless a mod wishes to comment) - so don't bother. This is what censorship looks like!

The thread may close or it may stay open, either way it will be without explanation but feel free to read between the lines.

Jedi wrote -
Quote:
Quote:
Etcetera...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
^^^^^

Jim
Above are quotes from forum moderators. This is one of the rules of this forum:

Quote:
Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
which is violated imo but I understand that it’s okay when such posts are labeled as a joke.

I know, this thread is the money maker
Old 09-06-2022, 01:49   #3030

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

And so a small interlude
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1&d=1654764537
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	the one.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	259254