Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2012, 09:09   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: the boogy man of mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Unfortunately I think Hollywood has made ski masks synonymous with terrorism and crime in some people's minds... The reality is that the overwhelming majority of terrorists and criminals are not wearing ski masks, they are trying to blend in. The racist undertones of these types of complaints are rather upsetting though.

Why is it that when the US and Europe is criticized for similar situations the criticism is considered fair and just and when non Americans/Europeans are called to account for their acts it is called racist? Is there a double standard here? The city of Chicago had 5 killed and 25 people wounded over the weekend in gang violence. The shootings occured in the Black and Hispanic ghettoes, not in the White middle class/upper class areas of the city. Is this racist? Why is it racist for cruisers to criticize a para military inspection of their cruising vessel? Do the Mexican authorities believe the sailors are terrorists, narcos or gang members? Fairness should be applied to all regardless of their nationality or ethnicity. Unfortunately, that isn't the case in our politically correct world.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:13   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Do the Mexican authorities believe the sailors are terrorists, narcos or gang members?
In a word? Yes.

Drugs come into countries aboard boats of all sorts. Even ones that look like harmless cruisers.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:25   #18

Kind of off-topic but when I've motorcycled through Baja with 5-10 other guys, the army really didn't care too much for us all having VHF radios. I found it funny that they were afraid we'd be communicating their checkpoint position in the middle of BFE nowhere, and then we'd decide to go as a group right through it.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:48   #19

The story lostsheep describes is truly horrifying. And sadly kidnapping for cash happens all over the world, even in the good old US of A from time to time. I'm going to assume that when you say "these animals aren't even animals" you are talking about kidnappers and not generally people from Mexico, or even people with non-white skin. I think this is the key point that was frustrating RebelHeart in the initial post. People spew stories and language without really thinking about what they are saying and in consequence paint a huge bunch of decent people in a specific country or part of the world as "animals" or "terrorists" or "criminals." Surely there are some evil bastards who are Mexican or Somali, but there also are a lot of evil bastards who are American or Russian. Every corner of the world and every race has them. Inuit used to set theirs adrift on ice flows.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:59   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in general, here, kidnappings are associated with narco activity. was anyone in company playing in hot water?? was the company free of narco association?? do we even know that aspect of the kidnapping?? who, in the company , was working in any way with narcos, and did the narcos wish to cop a percent and that is why the kidnapping?? we do not have all the facts, just a lil bit of the story---
as there are many more than only one side to each and every story, is only fair to include ALL the facets of the epic....
and, of course, there are NO kidnappings nor violence in any other nation other than mexico......absolutely zero in usa, of course.....nor are there any killings in usa, absolutely zero----
is important here to stay out of the workings of cartels and other nefarious organizations--bad things happen to those who travel in bad company. let us hope they keep it within their own bonds--involving only those associate with cartel and narco activity.

for the most part here, folks are friendly and helpful.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 12:23   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I find it amusing that when I started the thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ace-87906.html I received a lot of input about how safe Mx is. Yet I hear stories like this thread, often. It's not just crime to be aware of but the possibility of getting caught in some form of cross-fire or what might happen if for some reason you're unable to pay extortion fee or refuse to. So maybe Mx is not a changing place. Maybe it has always been like this. I'm not saying the US is without it's problems but when I am pulled over in a routine sobriety check, the officer is not wearing a mask demanding money to let me proceed. Mx is what it is. It will not stop me from cruising through. I do like the adventure of it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 12:34   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is a sad loss that man suffered--the storm that came thru and hit zihuat as impressive to those residing in zihuat--
eye witnesses stated to me on fone calls that a boat THAT LOOKED LIKE MINE--broke loose. seas and winds were horrific in that tropical storm that was the 3rd one to hit zihuat this summer.
he called me because he thought for a minuet the boat as mine--he didnt see color of canvas to know for sure. he did see it break from mooring.
i was chewed out for coming into zihaut and not foning , and i was chewed out for not being smart enough to not sail there in this season.
would love to hear that from owner, who is impressively fast to blame natives. i truly believe the breakaway was not due to some fool in a tropical storm in big seas cutting something with a hand saw.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 13:31   #23

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I received a lot of input about how safe Mx is. Yet I hear stories like this thread, often.

I'm not saying the US is without it's problems but when I am pulled over in a routine sobriety check, the officer is not wearing a mask demanding money to let me proceed. Mx is what it is. It will not stop me from cruising through. I do like the adventure of it.
To thoughts like those I say:

"You're right Mexico is a VERY dangerous place.... Stay away and let the rest of us enjoy it"

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 14:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
In a word? Yes.

Drugs come into countries aboard boats of all sorts. Even ones that look like harmless cruisers.
I would guess that southbound boats could be potential cash carriers... getting $ back to the drugs source....

In my opinion the general attitude about cruisers is VERY positive and helpful. I have NEVER seen an attitude displayed (by Port Authorities or Navy) of suspicion or nastiness. I was hailed (and stopped) by the Mexican navy North of Ensenada and South of the Islas Coronados and asked over VHF my name and where I was going..... and coming from. I was single-handing from San Diego to Ensenada..

No boarding occurred, and the navy was VERY gracious... I had a line out ( I did not catch anything that trip.. ) and they did not even ask about my fishing license.... (I had one).

On a semi related note....
Once in Ensenada I wanted to change $ into Pesos.. I walked over to a money changer/trinket shop (Just north of Mcdonalds) and a young chap told me in spanish that I had to come back in 5 minutes, as the guy in charge was gone. I was surprised, as I would have thought that a good sales guy (knowing that I have $) would get me to browse in the store while I wait...

I was walking out, when a pair of colorful big exotic birds/parrots caught my eye.
I asked in spanish "How do you say..." pointing to the Parrots.

He said "I don't know...."

I was surprised, thinking that if it was me... working in such a place... I would at least know their names, or that it is a parrot, or bird or something...

I said in surprise..." Are you sure you work here?" "Do you have a brain in your head?" I was not as polite as I could have been, as I thought they had an idiot for an employee and I was frustrated at his behavior.

He was stuttering and hemming and hawing and I realized I had intimidated him. I am 6 1/2 feet tall, and he was probably from some indigenous group and came up just above my elbows....

I walked out... got back on the boat and was working away... thinking to myself what a poor employee he was....

I returned at 17:00 (the signage had indicated they closed at 18:00) and found the place full of people... but the door was locked...

I was a bit frustrated, and knocked on the door...

A kid then opened the door, explaining (in good English) that they were closed. I pointed to the sign, asking when they were going to be open.

From inside there was some rapid Spanish.

The boy then asked me if I had been in earlier asking about the birds...

I said yes, and apologized, knowing that my frustration had probably shown through, and I had intimidated and been impolite to the employee.

Suddenly an older man came to the door, opened it and was profusely thanking me... claiming I had saved his and his brothers life..

I turns out I had walked in on a robbery. The owners (brothers) had been taken into the back room, watching my interaction over CCTV with one of the robbers while an accomplice was watching them. Both guys had guns.

When I had turned with surprise to the guy and questioned if he worked there and then walked out they freaked... and left quickly..... without taking the money and without killing the owners....

Of course, the owners did exchange the money for me then..... and they closed up the place for 3 weeks while they put in bullet proof glass and got rid of the shop.

The point of retelling this is that I was amazed that I was not dragged into the crime. The locals claim that the gangsters have strictly enforced rules to lay off the true tourists....

Of course... it could also be that my Guardian Angel protects naive idiots....
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 22:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
The story lostsheep describes is truly horrifying. And sadly kidnapping for cash happens all over the world, even in the good old US of A from time to time. I'm going to assume that when you say "these animals aren't even animals" you are talking about kidnappers and not generally people from Mexico, or even people with non-white skin. I think this is the key point that was frustrating RebelHeart in the initial post. People spew stories and language without really thinking about what they are saying and in consequence paint a huge bunch of decent people in a specific country or part of the world as "animals" or "terrorists" or "criminals." Surely there are some evil bastards who are Mexican or Somali, but there also are a lot of evil bastards who are American or Russian. Every corner of the world and every race has them. Inuit used to set theirs adrift on ice flows.

Yes, I indeed was referring o the perpetrators, not the general population. I really like the Mexican people, their culture, and I love the food. (Mmmm, chili rellenos, my favorite!)
However, I detest 'gangs', or 'cartels'.
I too have a natural aversion to the balaclava wearing by the LEOs. Just a natural gut- feeling that it's not right. I can understand that they are doing it to protect their families, but the initial shock indicates that they are hiding any humanity they may have from you. It de-humanizes them, so to speak.
Interesting concept, protecting themselves and their families thru anonymity, versus being perceived as a cold, inhuman storm trooper by the general populace.

Of course, I have a problem with 'authority' anyway.....
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 06:30   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
The locals claim that the gangsters have strictly enforced rules to lay off the true tourists...
Sounds likely (same MO in Thailand).......Small Gangsters scared of big Gangsters .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 13:10   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
To thoughts like those I say:

"You're right Mexico is a VERY dangerous place.... Stay away and let the rest of us enjoy it"
Yes...good...very similar to your post to the thread Mexico...a changing place.
Did I say I wanted to stay away?...No. There is no reason to see this issue as black or white, right or wrong. It has more to do with common sense. Being in law enforcement in your past you should have that concept down. Like I said before, I will cruise Mexico but with healthy awareness.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 13:37   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I 'll never forget being stopped by Mexican soldiers at a drug checkpoint one night on the Transpeninsular Highway. The kid looked to be all of 15 years old, and when I offered him a pepsi he turned it down, asking whether I could loan him some batteries instead so that he could inspect the boat I was trailering. I handed over my spare batteries and said, "Para ti," indicating that I was making a gift of them. His smile lit up the entire highway as he waved me on.

Tags
Mexico