Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2015, 03:46   #481
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: The Mallorca Squad

Did you make it to the airport in time?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 09:45   #482
cruiser

Pam leaves Olbia on Wednesday morning, so it's still a work in progress to get there. We left Le Grazie early this morning at 5am to a wicked bad surprise, there was no wind but for the next 8 hours heading south we had 4 to sometimes 5 meter swells coming from the recent mistral going on. So I got to my Bonine seasick medication way too late and spent 8 hours throwing up on an empty stomach. Pam the Irongutt did much better and donned the admiral and lookout roll.

Tomorrow, on to South Corsica for some 20-25 knot winds overnight, then probably another vomitfest on Tuesday morning crossing the gap between Sardinia and Corsica. The swells will then have had three days to develope from the west. Yuch.

Ken

I need to get a Compazine perscription.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 09:54   #483
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Pam leaves Olbia on Wednesday morning, so it's still a work in progress to get there. We left Le Grazie early this morning at 5am to a wicked bad surprise, there was no wind but for the next 8 hours heading south we had 4 to sometimes 5 meter swells coming from the recent mistral going on. So I got to my Bonine seasick medication way too late and spent 8 hours throwing up on an empty stomach. Pam the Irongutt did much better and donned the admiral and lookout roll.

Tomorrow, on to South Corsica for some 20-25 knot winds overnight, then probably another vomitfest on Tuesday morning crossing the gap between Sardinia and Corsica. The swells will then have had three days to develope from the west. Yuch.

Ken

I need to get a Compazine perscription.
ouch.

Sooner you get a Sunreef the better.
Old 26-07-2015, 10:00   #484
cruiser

On a Cat it would have been just as bad with the choppy high frequency swells coming at us almost broadside. We normally take care to avoid these situations and have not had this happen in over three years. The last time was crossing the Bay of Biscay.

We were an hour out when we ran into the swells, then two hours out when I realized the medication wasn't working, then the vomitfest fired up three hours in. We just kept going, no sense turning back at that point.
Old 26-07-2015, 11:22   #485
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On a Cat it would have been just as bad with the choppy high frequency swells coming at us almost broadside. We normally take care to avoid these situations and have not had this happen in over three years. The last time was crossing the Bay of Biscay.

We were an hour out when we ran into the swells, then two hours out when I realized the medication wasn't working, then the vomitfest fired up three hours in. We just kept going, no sense turning back at that point.
Hmm... my experience with swells in a Cat is one of the reasons for liking them. Even broadside on the smoothing is different. However I am not usually affected from that motion.... If I have eaten spicy food and beer and then get short chops from the front in a mono...... then I chunder. A lot.
Old 26-07-2015, 13:31   #486

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Ouch is right! I don't know what the med you're looking for is, nor the Italian system of dispensing drugs, but in Spain you can walk into any pharmacia and ask for the drug & get it (apart from antibiotics). You might give it a try in Italy.

Good luck.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 16:34   #487
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
...we had 4 to sometimes 5 meter swells coming from the recent mistral going on...
What did the judge say were the reasons for the mistral? And, when will the second trial start?

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 13:10   #488

Good one SM!

Did you get Pam to the a/c on time Ken? Are you back to lazing around an anchorage, slumming on CF?
Old 29-07-2015, 14:17   #489
cruiser

I'm looking to have a few doses of the narcotic anti vomit anti migraine onboard for emergencies. Seasickness, when I come down with it always leads to a severe migraine that can be quite debilitating. Fortunately, it's a very rare occasion.

Pam is on her way back to Whoville, a busy day here for me fixing things and dealing with 40 knot winds in the anchorage when I returned from the airport this morning. Not on the forecast.. Put a 90 ft Swan "White Lie" on the rocks and needed to be towed off when it let up... It was my neighbor. No apparent harm done.

I have a video of some nasty weather we hit for 10'hours on the way back to Olbia, if Gary can tell me how to post it. Its on my ipad.

Ken
Old 30-07-2015, 01:09   #490
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm looking to have a few doses of the narcotic anti vomit anti migraine onboard for emergencies. Seasickness, when I come down with it always leads to a severe migraine that can be quite debilitating. Fortunately, it's a very rare occasion.

Pam is on her way back to Whoville, a busy day here for me fixing things and dealing with 40 knot winds in the anchorage when I returned from the airport this morning. Not on the forecast.. Put a 90 ft Swan "White Lie" on the rocks and needed to be towed off when it let up... It was my neighbor. No apparent harm done.

I have a video of some nasty weather we hit for 10'hours on the way back to Olbia, if Gary can tell me how to post it. Its on my ipad.

Ken
Ken
I have never uploaded a file to CF from a phone never mind an Apple.
Basically I think you just write your message, look below the message box, find upload Video and select the name of the video and upload it.

Try it and perhaps some kind apple user will correct me if Im wrong.
Old 30-07-2015, 05:45   #491
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Ken
I have never uploaded a file to CF from a phone never mind an Apple.
Basically I think you just write your message, look below the message box, find upload Video and select the name of the video and upload it.

Try it and perhaps some kind apple user will correct me if Im wrong.

I haven't been able to embed a video using a link, either. Not sure how you do that majuk Weavis.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 05:22   #492
cruiser

ChickenLady, or rather CaveWoman,

When are you and Mr. Chicken returning to Mallorca? It's been in the 90's F here for weeks. Mrs. Mac is back in Whooville for just 7 days, and will return on Wednesday. I presently have three of the Lagoons anchored next to me, a 38, 40 and a 450. They seem quite cool in this weather as the occupants are able to remain up in the well- ventilated living room and I'm spending much to much time below where it's cooler.

Ken
Old 31-07-2015, 05:35   #493

Ha! Be nice or I'll slug you with my club.

We're back mid Sep. It will be nice to see the sun again. We got to see that bright object yesterday for a bit. Today it's rainy & 19 C. I don't recall what that would be in your backward lingo. The sun is supposed to make an appearance again this afternoon--it should be like a sauna.

I assume you're below because you have AC. That's likely a good thing although I tend to find it is cool enough above as long as you have shade. Besides, those Lagoons are not a particularly pretty sight to have to gaze at. That Swan looked to be a beauty--when not on the rocks.

It looks like PM Harper is going to call an election this weekend for Oct 19th. I'm glad we'll avoid a month of campaigning, but getting away from campaigning won't come soon enough.

Have you got your MF camera figured out yet? I haven't seen any stunning posts.
Old 31-07-2015, 06:07   #494
cruiser

No air conditioning, even if it was charged with coolant, our generator is presently out of order, waiting for the Pamster to bring back a new water pump from Massachusetts. Who would have guessed that Westerbeke is a Massachusetts based company? I was looking in Europe. So... wearing less clothing will have to work for now. The inside temp of the boat is water temperature, around 80 F, but low humidity.

The Swans are nice boats, but few or no windows to look out. We have a couple of friends who both own Swan 65's. A cave dweller such as yourself would be very happy in one. I need more light otherwise I go into vitamin D defficiency... I really do. Back in Whoville, where we live in a subterranean cave, I have to take vit D supplements all Fall and winter.

I've taken loads of MF photos with the Hassy and Phase one back, but I need to master the phase one software, I'm a slow learner. Plus, I probably need to be land based for quicker downloads of images. The pictures generally look similar to 35mm dslr digital, it's only when you start zooming in do you see the incredible detail of 22 megapixel images... And the pixels are not apparently the same as 35mm pixels. The image is more like what your eyes see regarding contrast etc. Doesn't look digital and one dimension, a much narrower focal plane.

Going to go snorkeling for a while today and plan some outings for next month.

Ken
Old 31-07-2015, 07:44   #495

Ken,
This may be old news for you but the best sea sickness meds we have come upon has been Stugeron originally from Britain. That stuff usually bullet proofs you. Cheers R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote