Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2017, 21:18   #1

Boat: Custom 55
The XM antenna miracle

This is too good not to share.

We left port yesterday, and discovered on the way out that our XM satellite radio antenna was dead. The spare didn't work either.

We're really isolated out here at sea in Alaska, and the XM is sort of essential equipment.

So, I asked around the fleet here if anybody had a spare, and someone did!

I hauled up my net, and motored over to our new best friend. His deck boss had wrapped up the antenna with a few layers of plastic (enough to keep it dry for the float over), tied it to a buoy, and gave it a heave over the side... Directly into the main wire for the trawl.

The package promptly slid down said wire, all the way down to 220 feet or so, and stayed there until he hauled his net. Surprisingly, it was still there. Without much hope of survival, they chucked it over the side anyway. I went over, grappled it, and gave the unit a bath of fresh water and liberal amounts of contact cleaner.

Amazingly, the thing works! I can't believe that this thing sat underwater at 7 atmospheres for all that time and still functions. For how long, I don't know, but I'm a happy camper tonight.

Sometimes, fate is kind. I'm happily listening to the BBC now.
Old 14-10-2017, 22:11   #2

Boat: Luders 36
Re: The XM antenna miracle

Not really sure how to interpret this. You have two “essential” xm antennas fail in normal above deck conditions, then you have a friend heave one over to you, you sink it to 220 feet, before deciding to pull it up. And now you can listen to the the essential BBC news? Like air, water, food then BBC news?
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 22:24   #3

Boat: Custom 55
Re: The XM antenna miracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
Not really sure how to interpret this. You have two “essential” xm antennas fail in normal above deck conditions, then you have a friend heave one over to you, you sink it to 220 feet, before deciding to pull it up. And now you can listen to the the essential BBC news? Like air, water, food then BBC news?

Well, the XM radio isn't really essential. It's purely for entertainment, but when you're out at sea for weeks at a time, standing very long watches, it's really valued.

The 220' sinking was an accident, of course.

The BBC? It's about the best we can do over here in the US market to get some soberly reported news, rather than a bunch of pundits yapping over each other, sadly.

Currently, I have the Grateful Dead channel (yes, Grateful Dead 24/7) on, if that makes it more palatable.

I still can't believe that thing survived that plunge.

Tags
antenna