Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 16:10   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Trouble with the Law

.If u think FL cops are bad, you would just LOVE Louisanna local yokels. I will not even get off the freeway except to relieve myself (that is a+ leaving that behind). I will not spend money in Louisanna and I drive UNDER the speed limit. I go I20 to minimize my time in the state. I trvl between TX and FL a lot.

I was caught in a speed trap at 230am. 65 in A 45 where the signs were engineered to "gitcha" Cop hit my window with an attitude' so I went adversarial immediately. I did EVERYTHING I could to P him off. Like looking for my DL for 3 minutes then making it obvious I knew all along were it was, same for registration. His mistake, he made it in anger, was to confiscate my DL. Ha ha. Clear in the statutes that Texas and LA have a reciprocal no bond agreement.

When I called the clerk, told her that he had no authority to take my DL she said that was a topic of conversation and she agreed. His boss called me in about 2hrs, Fed Exed back the next day and the tkt "disappeared". I explained how I would fight this, and that I am a grey haired old man, retired with nothing but time and that his community was about to be my hobby. My plans involved Baton Rouge, the LA AG and the investigative arm that investigates local police. I did all this on the phone and I was laughing the whole time, but he knew I was a very real potential pain in the ass. This town, from what I saw on the net had been in trouble over their speed traps before.

I was ask to write up what happened, I did. The officer reminded me of people I saw in Nam on speed.

This town is on US190 a short cut between I10 and I49.

Old 27-08-2011, 16:57   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Trouble with the Law

Mule, if a ticket issued under, ah, unusual circumstances simply disappeared? I'd strongly suggest asking the agency to send you a formal dismissal notice, because the next thing you know, someone may "rediscover" the ticket, discover that you never "answered" it, and issue a bench warrant for your arrest.

Then one day there's a knock on your door and a couple of uniforms asking if you're you. Surprise!

Yes, I've seen it happen. Insist on a written dismissal and make sure to keep a copy of it "forever". If it isn't formally dismissed--it is still live and can bite you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 17:06   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
.If u think FL cops are bad, you would just LOVE Louisanna local yokels. I will not even get off the freeway except to relieve myself (that is a+ leaving that behind). I will not spend money in Louisanna and I drive UNDER the speed limit. I go I20 to minimize my time in the state. I trvl between TX and FL a lot.

I was caught in a speed trap at 230am. 65 in A 45 where the signs were engineered to "gitcha" Cop hit my window with an attitude' so I went adversarial immediately. I did EVERYTHING I could to P him off. Like looking for my DL for 3 minutes then making it obvious I knew all along were it was, same for registration. His mistake, he made it in anger, was to confiscate my DL. Ha ha. Clear in the statutes that Texas and LA have a reciprocal no bond agreement.

When I called the clerk, told her that he had no authority to take my DL she said that was a topic of conversation and she agreed. His boss called me in about 2hrs, Fed Exed back the next day and the tkt "disappeared". I explained how I would fight this, and that I am a grey haired old man, retired with nothing but time and that his community was about to be my hobby. My plans involved Baton Rouge, the LA AG and the investigative arm that investigates local police. I did all this on the phone and I was laughing the whole time, but he knew I was a very real potential pain in the ass. This town, from what I saw on the net had been in trouble over their speed traps before.

I was ask to write up what happened, I did. The officer reminded me of people I saw in Nam on speed.

This town is on US190 a short cut between I10 and I49.

I use cruise control IN TOWN because I live in Florida, and as someone pointed out, revenues are down and tickets are up.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I use cruise control IN TOWN because I live in Florida, and as someone pointed out, revenues are down and tickets are up.
I live in St. Pete.. used to live in Tampa.. if you get stopped in Tampa you are going to get a ticket and for as much as they can hit you for. They are especially bad around USF. Dtr lives in Spring Hill, her street, Linden Drive, is a 'feeder road' between two main roads. Lots of traffic, none pay attention to the speed limit of 35.. cops use it for extra revenue.. we both drive with cruise control on..

Speaking of tickets.. I got my first speeding ticket on I95 coming back from Fayetteville in June. Florence SC and another small town In SC just south of walterboro are both notorious speed traps. Cops went out of their way to entrap me knowing full well they would get a ticket.. then when they stopped they discovered a trunk full of legal guns.. it was amusing. My son is deployed I was moving his guns home to my gun safe. The only one they had a fit over was my antique shotgun from 1850 that was my great great great grandfathers.. it is non working. Then where were dueling pistols dated to 1760. Poor cops were wishing they were somewhere else by the time they emptied the trunk.. and by that time they were getting calls from thier boss telling them to drop the issue.. I had called in a favor.. they even repacked the stuff for me in their cases and blankets that they were wrapped in for protection.. put my suitcases and two cases of wine back into the truck.. amusing day. I still ended up with a $130 ticket..
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:19   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
I live in St. Pete.. used to live in Tampa.. if you get stopped in Tampa you are going to get a ticket and for as much as they can hit you for. They are especially bad around USF. Dtr lives in Spring Hill, her street, Linden Drive, is a 'feeder road' between two main roads. Lots of traffic, none pay attention to the speed limit of 35.. cops use it for extra revenue.. we both drive with cruise control on..

Speaking of tickets.. I got my first speeding ticket on I95 coming back from Fayetteville in June. Florence SC and another small town In SC just south of walterboro are both notorious speed traps. Cops went out of their way to entrap me knowing full well they would get a ticket.. then when they stopped they discovered a trunk full of legal guns.. it was amusing. My son is deployed I was moving his guns home to my gun safe. The only one they had a fit over was my antique shotgun from 1850 that was my great great great grandfathers.. it is non working. Then where were dueling pistols dated to 1760. Poor cops were wishing they were somewhere else by the time they emptied the trunk.. and by that time they were getting calls from thier boss telling them to drop the issue.. I had called in a favor.. they even repacked the stuff for me in their cases and blankets that they were wrapped in for protection.. put my suitcases and two cases of wine back into the truck.. amusing day. I still ended up with a $130 ticket..
FLA. doesnt hold a monopoly on graft.DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:52   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

There was a segment on the local news a couple of days about the increased tickets in Florida. Seems that although the number of tickets is up, the revenue they generate is down -- because the fines are so high (a SLIGHT roll through a stop sign cost me over $200 between the ticket and "traffic school" -- @@) -- that many people simply can't afford to pay them.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 20:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
There was a segment on the local news a couple of days about the increased tickets in Florida. Seems that although the number of tickets is up, the revenue they generate is down -- because the fines are so high (a SLIGHT roll through a stop sign cost me over $200 between the ticket and "traffic school" -- @@) -- that many people simply can't afford to pay them.
That was not your first offense.. it sounds like Pinellas Park?
bella is offline   Reply With Quote