Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2008, 13:23   #1

Boat: Vessel-less
Unfamiliar NZ flag

Hello all. I'm a member of a similar forum in Norway, and we are arguing about a NZ flag spotted on an Aucland based sail boat visiting our Nordic waters.

The flag is black( and please have understanding with us if the description is less than completely correct. May have been spotted by happy members on their way home after a pub crawl) . It is divided into 4 equal parts by a thin white cross. The Union Jack is in the upper left corner.

Does it have anything to do with the ugly mug?

Tom
Thonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 13:57   #2

Boat: Trismus 37
If it was black with a silver fern on it it would be an unofficial NZ flag more often used in a sporting context. There are also several Maori sovereignty flags that are in unofficial use as well but they wouldn't have the union jack on them. It sounds rather cool though, we could do with a new one!!! So I'm not much help, You have me curious now as well.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 16:37   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/Flags/gb-corn.html#ens

It is shown as an informal "Cornish Ensign".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 14:56   #4

Boat: Vessel-less
It sure looks like an informal Cornish Ensign", but I'm told that it has a small Union Jack and the Southern Cross in the Upper left corner.
Either ther is a place in Cornwall named Auckland or somewhere in New Zealand called Corwall.
Thanks for the answers.
Thonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 15:15   #5

What was the name of the boat?

I know of one boat in European waters which may be easily confused as having Auckland as its home but in fact is not based or owned in NZ.

Also, am pretty certain there is no location in NZ called Cornwall apart from a small park in Auckland - no town or other location is in the official list of NZ place names.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 19:32   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" I'm told that it has a small Union Jack and the Southern Cross in the Upper left corner."
Ah, you're changing your story now.[g]

Sounds like the family pennant for an Ozzie and a Brit who got married one night in Cornwall and bought their boat there.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 20:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Sounds like the family pennant for an Ozzie and a Brit who got married one night in Cornwall and bought their boat there.
Or at least a lot of drinking was done. It appears that part still continues. Fun loving at the very least.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 03:28   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
If you hear the song "I still call Australia Home" playing loudly late at night from the boat, you can be sure it was a NZ crew. It's their (NZ) national song.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 15:07   #9

And if the boat has "Auckland" on the transom that is just code for "Sydney for Beginners" .
Old 26-08-2008, 18:26   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Shouldn't that be "Sudknee"
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 03:23   #11

Now don't get me writing posts in Strine, I have been told before today to wash my mouth out with soap for doing that .

We are sort of torn between the 2 countries - my mother and sister (my only sibling) and her family all live in Australia so we normally spend a couple of weeks a year there and some years I get over a lot via business. Wife's parents died when she was a young teenager so she has no real ties apart from our own family here and we both like Oz.

Whoops, thread drift, gawd what thread is this one EPIRBs? no flags, ok Oz has a nice flag too, that's it back on track, pity about the extra star though .