Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 17:53   #16

Boat: Boatless
Re: USA TRIPS

Stay off the highways. Take as many back roads as possible. What are you driving, and how much time do you have??

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 18:29   #17

A neat way to stay off the interstates is to find weird roadside attractions. Many of the obscure ones are off the beaten path. This site has a good, but a bit sparse list, starting in Minnesota. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/mn . The biggest ball of twine will take you off the freeways, and is fun. Also look up the biggest ball of popcorn which is not in the list, but somewhere in Iowa. The grotto of the redemption, also in Iowa is neat and a bit insane. The best part, is when you are on the small roads and towns, you tend to find things like this that aren't listed.
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 19:20   #18
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Yahoo to lfmarqx Send a message via Skype™ to lfmarqx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
Stay off the highways. Take as many back roads as possible. What are you driving, and how much time do you have??

I.m already in Minnesota, I got a Kia Rio and GPS.
I have more 15 days, so plans are: Duluth, Dells, Chicago, Ohio, Pensilvania, New York, NC, SC, Florida.

Any suggestions? I just came from South Dakota (badlands, rushmore mt, bear country, reptile gardens, crazy horse), amana colonies (Iowa), Nashville (Tennessee), Aquarium Georgia....all has been amazing....
lfmarqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 19:52   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Ground Zero Memorial. Even if you are not a New Yorker, even if you did not personally know anyone that died that day.

It is still a very touching memorial.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 20:06   #20

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

It would help to know what interests you generally. But some ideas in no particular relevance:
New York - Niagara Falls (although the view is better on the Canadian side), Finger Lakes wine country, Corning Glass museum, New York City (but that could take 15 days in itself);
Pennsylvania - Gettysburg (there are all sorts of other great Civil War sites in the Eastern states, but this is the biggie), Philly for the historical sites, Hershey (a little early in the year to enjoy the park, but they have a free tour and chocolate store, and the town is neat), Lackawanna coal mine tour (surprisingly interesting and near to Centralia - a modern ghost town over a coal mine that's been on fire for the past 50 years);
N Carolina - there's the Smoky Mountains, but I prefer the Outer Banks (historical lighthouses and Wright memorial at Kitty Hawk);
S. Carolina - Charleston has charm, history and Fort Sumter, but is otherwise just another city. There's Hilton Head (especially if you like golf) and Myrtle Beach that's totally a tourist town;
Florida - St Augustine is worth seeing, then it depends on what you want to see - Disney, NASA, 'gators, you name it.
I noticed some omissions on your route, but coming from PA, you're going to go through Maryland, Virginia and have the option of hitting DC - some sites:
MD - Baltimore apparently has a pretty good aquarium, and they have Fort McHenry (very good display on American Revolution), and there's Annapolis (cool sailing-oriented town; tour of the base and museums there quite good);
DC - again more things to see than could be accomplished in two weeks - all the Smithsonian museums are free, the various memorials are quite inspiring, the National Gallery if you like art, and if you can book yourself a tour - the Capitol is well worth a visit (stay for lunch then tour the adjoining Library of Congress).
Anyway have fun. Just ask if you want more info or tips.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 20:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmarqx View Post
I.m already in Minnesota, I got a Kia Rio and GPS.
I have more 15 days, so plans are: Duluth, Dells, Chicago, Ohio, Pensilvania, New York, NC, SC, Florida.

Any suggestions? I just came from South Dakota (badlands, rushmore mt, bear country, reptile gardens, crazy horse), amana colonies (Iowa), Nashville (Tennessee), Aquarium Georgia....all has been amazing....
In Minnesota, Pipestone in the SW is interesting (old native quarries where the got the rocks to make pipes from). Also, the Mississippi headwaters might be of interest. Only place you can stand with one foot on each of the mighty Mississippi ' s banks. Makes you feal a bit like Paul Bunyan.

In Duluth, look for the paper flyers down by the lift bridge that has the expected schedule of the big boats. It's probably online as well. If you are lucky and time it right, you will not forget seeing a 1000 ft long ship glide in through the narrow channel right in front on you and under the bridge. Last summer when the tall ships came to Duluth, I motored out that same channel in my 23' sailboat, and I thought it felt a bit narrow. Also, taking a tour of the old iron ore ship in the harbor area is worth it.
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 20:51   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You should visit also, the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C., as long as you're on the East Coast.

Then choose one other place besides Florida, that you are drawn back to, for a more in-depth exploration.

If I were visiting the States, I personally would also be interested to visit a boatshed in Maine and one in Pt. Townsend, WA.

Ann
Old 02-05-2014, 21:18   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
Fl to Smokey mts/Asheville area.
Then to nashville (you can say hi to me)
Then fast to South Dakota. See badlands.
Head to Chicago
Then NYC

Spend rest of trip going more slowly down east coast. Hitting shore or major cities as you like. A plethora of options
You can save at least one stop on that itinerary: skip South Dakota... there are plenty of badlands in your next stop: Chicago.

(Posted by one who got out of that city at 16, and has never regretted it!)

Jim
Old 04-05-2014, 12:42   #24

Boat: Boatless
Re: USA Trips

I'd definitely hit New York City!!

fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:02   #25
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Yahoo to lfmarqx Send a message via Skype™ to lfmarqx

amazing Duluth! Scandinavian land I loved!
lfmarqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:58   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: USA Trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmarqx View Post
I.m doing a trip in USA for the next 28 days and route is: Georgia, Tennessee, Iowa, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Pensilvania, New York, North Caroline, South Caroline, Florida...

Could you pls indicate interesting points that I can not forget to visit?

tks,
Luciana
Out west - buy a national parks passport to get into all national parks. Look up the entire park system and plan your rout.

From Dakotas:
S-E Wyoming - Devil's Tower; Devils Tower National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
S. Dakota - the Mammoth site https://www.mammothsite.com/
BADLANDS, MT RUSHMORE & CRAZY HORSE MONUMENTS Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota | Home of Mount Rushmore
Capital Reef, Capitol Reef National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Travel S & see Pike's Peak and the Grand Canyon.

Also from a high mountain in the west. Gaze east at the vast, dull, endless expanse we call Iowa & Kansas.

GEORGIA TENN.
sounds dumb but Lookout Mountain & Ruby Falls.

OHIO. a few notable air museums. Cedar Point and King's Island ammusement parks. You can take a ferry in Lake Erie to Put-In-Bay. Have beer & Pizza at Frosty's. Walk inside the giant gypsum geode at the winery.

If you venture into Michigan, come to Grand Rapids and explore the pub crawl. We have the most craft brewers per capita in the US and the title Beer City. Travel on to Muskegon or Ludington and take a ferry across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee or Manitowok.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote