Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2008, 13:11   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Vanishing Dinghy is returned

The night after the SF Bay Rendevous July 13 I had to take the dog ashore for a poo and a pee. I tied the dink on to the stern hand hold wiht a clove hitch and then two half hitches so that it wouldn't slip off. "Good knots I thought to myslef. Well when I woke up the next morning there was only the kayaks left. No dink. I knew the knot was good put the painter is that polpro line that doesn't hold a knot worth a damn. First thing I did was look at the Chart Plotter and saw that the majority of the time the stern was pointing at the Richmond San Rafel Bridge. I jumped in the Kayak and paddled about 2 miles up the shoreline and didn't see a thing.

Called the CG the next day and they hadn't seen or heard of anything. Well "Someone got a nice dinghy." I thought. I hadn't marked the dinghy at all b/c I was researching the T/T identification. Well I started looking for a new dink and found a nice West Marine HP floor with a 4 stroke. I got it for a reasonable price.

On August 6th I got the first email CAT 460, then over the course of the next few days I was contacted by Dr. Moreau, John 540, Scotte, and I feel like I missed someone but am not sure who. (On edit it was Squeaks I had missed) The messages were all the same -- Did you see the 8/6 version of 'Lectronic Latitude.

Lost Your Dinghy?

August 6, 2008 – San Rafael
Officer Mark Hedeen of the San Rafael Police Department emailed asking for help in locating the owner of a small inflatable dinghy that washed up on Red Rock several weeks ago. "It's very new and I'm sure the owner would like to have it back," Hedeen reported. He says the dinghy is a 9-ft grey Zodiac with an electric motor. If you think it's your dinghy, or may know who it belongs to, leave a message for Officer Hedeen at (415) 485-3000. And be sure to email LaDonna a photo of the reunion — we're suckers for happy endings.

It was difficult to get in touch with Officer Hedeen b/c of our conflicting schedules but I finally was able to do so and although I haven't had time to get to the Bay Area and pick it up yet (actually my Brother is going to pick it up for me). I am now the owner of two nice inflatables. Thanks to everyone who took the time to steer me toward the Lat 38 link.

What a great group of people.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 13:36   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sometimes things will just go our way!!!!!!!!!!COOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 17:55   #3

We had our aluminum RIB with a 4 stroke Honda 8 go "missing" in East Greenwich Bay / Warwick area and asked all the marinas, walked the docks, seached the beaches to no avail. We notified two police precincts and the dock masters... nothing.

We filed a claim with our insurer Boat US CNA and had the claim processed without a hitch. With a $100 deductible and no depreciation because of the age of the lost gear we now have a new dink and motor.

The former dink was registered and had a prominent NY number and sticker.... so whomover found it or took it didn't seem to care that they were in possession of our property.

Good show by BoatUS/CNA.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 21:21   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Wow....that's excellent Charlie. I take my boat past Red Rock quite frequently. Check that place out sometime. Bring a flashlight, there is a man made cave on the west side and a climb to the summit is fun.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 16:28   #5

Boat: S/V Paseo -- A dream for now.
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. Moreau
Glad you got your dingy back!

I figured that was yours once I read the Latitude 38 article.

Thanks for putting on the rendezvous and congrats on your two dingy's.

https://sailing.moreau.us/
Dr. Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 08:12   #6

Boat: Privilege 39
Glad you got it back Charlie!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote