Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 01:49   #136
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
Good News & Bad: +0.2 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Mintys - Reminds me of when I went to survival school. They said I could bring 5 pounds of geear for a 3 day survival. I reckoned I could bring 20 quarter poiunders and breeze right through...
If you ditched the buns (too many carbs) and the cheese (too much fat) and took along the burger alone (a quarter pound of grilled protein), I guess they'd have allowed you bring along the extra weight of the salad, since it'd all be salad...

Anyway.... Bad News and Good News.

Bad news: Check out my progress to see for yourself:
Week1: 82.9 kg
Week2: 83.2kg
Week3: 83.4kg

This diet does not seem to be making me any slimmer!! That popcorn is getting further and further away, sadly!

Good News:
I have ugly purple stretch marks on my inner thighs. I read somewhere that's an indication of losing weight too fast!! Someone clearly hasn't met me yet!

So, I seem to defy a lot of known laws.... I get stretch marks when I get heavier, and the cold air from my fridge rises to escape in a gust when I open the fridge!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:59   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
If you ditched the buns (too many carbs) and the cheese (too much fat) and took along the burger alone (a quarter pound of grilled protein), I guess they'd have allowed you bring along the extra weight of the salad, since it'd all be salad...
What difference would it make? Bread and vegetables are BOTH predominately made of carbohydrates. All vegetables are mainly carbs. Bread is made mostly from wheat - a vegetable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Anyway.... Bad News and Good News.

Bad news: Check out my progress to see for yourself:
Kate - give yourself chance. You are talking 0.5kg = one pound here. That's nothing. You are not getting heavier - this sort of variation is well within the measurement error of most domestic scales which are usually only accurate to +/- 3kgs or so.

Don't fret over half a kilo... just keep it going and you will get there.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 21:29   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I agree AD. Focus on staying with the program. You can do it! Diet and exercise - exercise and diet. The yen and the yang right now....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:24   #139
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nasty Purple Streaks

Ooh, I'm excited. I got stretch marks on my arms now too, kinda under the armpits. You know the bit I mean!

YIPPEEEEE!!!!

(Scales are still stuck, tho - might just have to ditch them!)
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43   #140

Hmmm... avatar's a bit dark. After Anjou's latest........
Old 03-08-2010, 06:45   #141

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Hey Kate - I say throw that scale overboard and just use a tape measure. Sounds to me like you are gaining muscle mass! Keep on keeping on!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:46   #142

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Weston Price: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration; Table of Contents

^ here is a link to a book (Nutrition and Physical Degeneration) online that should be required reading, if it does not fundamemtally change the way you look at food, then you need to read it again and again

if you dont find it as fascinating as i do you can have your money back
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:47   #143

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
P.S. My man and me had to spread about twelve yards of mulch around our house on Saturday...I thought, Good Exercise...well woke up Sunday morning so hungry I ate breakfast at 7 a.m. and then again at 11 a.m. - didn't have lunch though...but exercise does not suppress my appetite like others report here...just makes me want to eat. Anyway, made me laugh...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35   #144

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Hi Kate,

Haven't been able to check in as much as I like, but still sticking with my commitment and wanted to encourage you to do the same. Like I mentioned earlier, I rarely get on the scale. I use my clothes to give me feedback.

Basically, I have eliminated snacks, been very conscious of eating whole foods (ie... vegetables, fruits, and natural meats) in smaller quantities. Have not gone to the several meals a day plan, rather stuck with the 3 meal a day regiment I was used to eating.

Getting a couple of hours of exercise a few days a week by wet sanding the hull of my boat! Probably need to get into a better program here!

Clothes are no longer tight and someone at work this week mentioned that they thought I had lost weight!

Keep working on eating right. Hide the scale from yourself for a month at a time. Keep up some exercise (don't overdo it and burn yourself out, it is marathon not a speed race). You will start noticing pleasant changes. When you do, smile at yourself and remember that for every noticeable change in appearance there is a huge health advantage for your heart, joints and internal organs!

Take it one step at a time and every time you put something in your mouth, ask yourself if that bite was worth the calories!

Take care,
Dennis
Old 06-08-2010, 23:27   #145
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Off the Marks!!! (finally)

Well, at yesterday's weigh-in I finally saw the figures going down!

Week 4: 82.6kg.

OK, so it's only a small move, but at least it's in the right direction!!
And, like Blue Seas says, I'm noticing other changes, such as the new muscles in my arms, and the subtle stretch marks that are springing up.

Also - you'll be pleased to know, yesterday I finally quit the toffee coated popcorn. Yup, that's right. I finished the last bag, and so my healthy new lifestyle will no longer be tainted with popcorn in front of the DVD player!

Oh, a word of explanation... I figured it would be best if, knowing what we now know, I used the sushi bar as my "every 1kg treat"; rather than popcorn. That meant I had to get rid of the popcorn somehow. I thought of taking your advice and throwing all 19 bags in the bin, but that seemed so wasteful with all the starving children in Africa!! So I ate it all.

BUT - I carefully tracked my nutrtion, and it was never the popcorn that took me over the limits - it was things like sushi and (in yesterday's case) pizza...
Old 07-08-2010, 00:38   #146
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great News !!!!

Since the op to remove my kidney, as well as weight gain, I mentioned another problem was elevated BP. In the olden days it was in the region of 110/60 - and after accident it crept up to 210/110 (a 'medical emergency' hence needed meds and the reason for having kidney out). Since op, it has been around 135/85 on a regular basis - which I was worried about, as it is pre-hypertensive, but docs were satisfied with it.

Well - now it's down to 126/73!!!

I tested it 4 times, I was so disbelieving, and that's the average!!! I am so happy!!!!!!

Thank you all for being so helpful and supportive (and mean at times). I can't really describe how excited this has made me - given that it's the primary reason I started this new 'lifestyle"!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:18   #147

Keep it up Kate - and well done.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:35   #148

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40
Hi Kate,
I stumbled upon your thread and thought I might give you some food for thought. I lost twenty five lbs last month after I finally decided enough was enough and my weight and health weren't going to get better unless I really got serious about it. goggle the Ideal protein diet. The French doctor that came up with it has a free ebook at his site that explains it quite well. normally it is done at doctor supervised clinics but I have been following his guidelines, modified to my own health and needs. of course if this sounds like a plan you could follow make sure you discuss it with your doctor. Basically it requires you to eat the optimum lean protein for your desired weight So that you don't lose muscle mass. You also eat about four cups of vegetables in addition to salads and drink low carb protein shakes.
this plan worked well for me because after the first three days all carb cravings disappear and the weight drops of really fast. And because the muscle mass is retained your body continues to burn lots of calories ( your fat). It can put a strain on kidneys so you need to consult with your doctor so that you don't lose weight too fast.
I am amazed at how much better I feel, how much energy I have had and how I have not felt at all deprived of food. The key is to find an eating plan that works for you and then to have it become a forever lifestyle change. carbs used to rule my life and destroyed my metabolism. I feel like a new person and will never allow myself to go there again.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:13   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Webwench - That is very similar to how I approached weight loss.

Along with avoiding all carbs and sugars I try to set a loose target caloric intake. The foods you eat are important because you have to get all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals you need.

This requires lots of fruits and veggies. I also supplement with a diet shake that is fortified with a lot of the lesser nutrients.

When I am serious I try to target "about" 16-1800 calories but I am definitely not a calorie counter.

The good news lately is that I have been on a 3 week business trip and have actually lost 2 kilos in the face of lots of eating out and American restaurant portions and ingredients.

For me lately it is about being really aware of how much the daily intake is. If you raise your awareness you start to get a sense of how much you can eat in a day. Especially on vacation.

i.e. Eat a guilt free hot dog & fries for lunch and have a salad for dinner. And always try push back the sugared drinks, the sugar, the bread rolls and any other types of carbs.

I get back home Monday and am looking forward to joing the quest to lose with you all. I have 20lbs as my minimum target and 30 as an expanded goal.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:48   #150

Boat: Snapdragon 27 - La Barre
All calories are not created equal.
graj0 is offline   Reply With Quote