Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 11:41   #166

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Oh I forgot. lean meat fish, etc... substitute beans or other high protean vegy for some meat days. I cook in Indian, or Asian sytle dishes, (delicious), so no choking down tastless diet food. The problem I have with store bought diet food is it has more artificial ingredients. Give it a pass. I.E. regular mayonaise, (vegatable oil eggs preservative). Diet mayonaise, (soy oil egg substitute sugar guar gum various chemicals I cannot spell or pronounce, etc...)
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:44   #167

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I just went on a diet. The best diets are an actual lifestyle change, not just eat less for a few weeks..
Exactly! After being overweight (not grossly) for years, I decided on lifestyle change, rather than diet. I asked myself, what would a fit person eat? The answer was oats for breakfast, a pie for lunch (I'm Aussie) and a healthy cooked meal for dinner without desert. I don't have any snacks between meals. I am not anal about it. If I go out with friends I may eat desert or treat myself to more than I would at home, but it's the exception now. I have 1 drink with dinner 2 or 3 times a week. What's more after being on it for about 12 months, I no longer miss the processed rubbish I used to eat. I now feel zero temptation when I walk past a fast food store. Guess what, I'm now in my ideal weight range and I'm not looking to popcorn to keep me there. Come on folks, in America and Australia we have to stop thinking like everybody else because we are the fattest two nations on earth. I'm not meaning to offend anyone but if you haven't tried my method, give it a go and see.

Greg
Old 11-08-2010, 13:47   #168

Glad to have this thread. All familiar info. I've lost 10 lbs so far, but have 40 to go. I used to run marathons and swim. I was very fit in my 40s and it did make a difference around the boat. Then I bought a wooden boat, and started taking woodworking classes and stopped exercising and got fatter. Now I'm retired, and trying to get the exercise back in. Also, being retired means I'm eating my own cooking more, and that's good.

Still glad I got the boat.

Going to have a glass of water now!
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:50   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Water - earth's juice! BTW- thank you for the encouragement AD. I look forward to this thread on a regular basis.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 00:30   #170
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Devastating news.... In my newfound healthy lifestyle I decided to start tracking my cholesterol intake as well, .......... it turns out to be the grilled shrimps............. it turns out they're bad for you.....
Great news. This was one statistic I couldn't believe, so I googled it, and it turns out there's good cholesterol and bad cholesterol - and shrimps have the good cholesterol... plus something to do with sat fat too, which shrimps are low in. So... shrimps are good in moderation. It's this 'moderation' thing I struggle with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Everything is bad for you............ oxygen is carcinogenic, but try NOT breathing and see what that does for you.
Tried it yesterday - my face turned blue and I started seeing stars. How cool is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
The best diets are an actual lifestyle change, not just eat less for a few weeks..
Agreed. And with the new budget of $300pm (for 2), I'm spending proportionately more on fruit, salad & veg; and less on meat and cheese and stuff which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Water - earth's juice! BTW- thank you for the encouragement AD. I look forward to this thread on a regular basis.
Thank you - so do I!! Like I said before, you are all waaaay more fun than the Fat Lady forums. Although there is one which I'm finding really useful for tracking nutrition and exercise, as well as some great articles: Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 00:33   #171
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Change of Tactics.

Here's the Weight stats:
Week0: 82.9 kg
Week2: 83.4kg
Week4: 82.9kg
Hm. Not looking great, unfortunately.

BUT - here's the waist stats:
Week0: 35"
Week2: 34.5"
Week4: 33.5"

That's a bit better, and.............

And here's the BP stats:
Week0: 135/85
Week2: 125/80
Week4: 115/65

Now, in my mind that's progress!!! This is a result that I wasn't expecting - I honestly thought that after the op I'd be up the the 'pre-hypertensive' zone for the rest of my life.

Most importantly - I'm feeling great!!!! So..... Let's have a party!!!!!!!!!
Who wants to come?????? I need to say thank you to everyone for the boost... For actually giving me the motivation to DO this, rather than just wishing I could do this!!!!

: thumb::t humb::th umb:
Old 13-08-2010, 00:41   #172
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
You must be working out like a maniac - any idea of body fat? You must have really changed that number.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 01:30   #173
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
You must be working out like a maniac - any idea of body fat? You must have really changed that number.
Yup - swimming 2.5km two or three times a week, doing an hour on elliptical 2 or 3 times a week in mornings. Plus walking the dog 3x week, and yoga 2x.

No idea of body fat - just know I still got lots of it!!!
Old 15-08-2010, 00:20   #174
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just to prove what a good girl I have been - look.... Here is www.sparkpeople.com proof that I'm eating fewer calories than I am burning (blue line is calories in, red columns are base metabolic rate, green columns exercise):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	146
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	18456  
Old 17-08-2010, 06:34   #175

Aaza,

Glad to see you are getting some positive results. IMO, the health stats like BP are more important than the weight.

As I posted earlier and many others have also said, different things work differently for different people. I still stand by my approach: What gets measured gets done.

Fresh example: Last weekend was a bit of celebration for my family and me, for various reasons. Lots of party food and alcohol, sharing with the extended family and neighbors, munchies out everywhere. And I enjoyed it all. Got on the scale yesterday (Monday) morning as I do every morning. I was up 6 pounds, at 186. Damn. Not wanting to drag out the process of getting back down to The Number (180), I just decided to not eat for the day and double my exercise routine. Had coffee, black, for breakfast and water every time I felt hungry. Did my morning hike (2 miles w/ hills) and did it again in the afternoon. Plenty of water. Let my family have dinner without me.

Got on the scales again this morning (Tuesday). 180. Now I can have breakfast.

I guess some folks would call mine a "starvation diet". But is it really starvation if: 1) you realize you're over the limit quickly, before it gets too far gone, and 2) you can get it back below the limit in one day?

My approach would NOT work well at all if I didn't measure the results every day. If I got on the scales after a couple of weeks and saw I was over by 20 or 30 pounds, simply shutting off the intake long enough to lose it would be very unpleasant and perhaps harmful. But I believe anyone with some extra fat to lose isn't going to hurt themselves by fasting for a day, or maybe two or three.

It also helps (this is one thing that is probably very different for different people) that the hunger that occurs when fasting for a day doesn't really bother me much, and a glass of water puts it right down. If you've never fasted, try it for a day and see how you feel. It might work, it might not.

I don't do a full day's fast every time I'm over. Usually, I'm just over by a pound or two, maybe three, and I just cut out breakfast, lunch, snacks, and my dear beer until I'm back down. But finding myself 6 pounds over, I decided this time to do it more quickly. And it works for me.

Good luck!
Gator81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 06:46   #176
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Applause! Applause! in re measuring results. Speaking of measuring, portion control is a biggie. Make your own snacks and package by the cupful (meal at the tiller) or half cup (between meal snack). By avoiding commercial snacks you eliminate a lot of fat, sugar, salt and chemicals. Takes a few minutes one day a week to throw together a week's worth of gorp in a big bag, then bag immediately in portions to avoid bingeing. Check out CreateAgorp.blogspot.com for recipes, then fine-tune to your diet as necessary.
Old 17-08-2010, 08:58   #177
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i find snacking of any kind sparks up my appetite. i do NOT snack. ever.
i make and eat the foods i cook and usually i am not over my limit--unless i spend time eating ice cream and pizza and not kayaking or bicycling. when i am the size i like to be, i can breathe and move a lot better than when i am over.i donot use a scale nor measuring devices for foods. i lose weight in strange ways-- yr ago i dropped 60 pounds by willing it off. yipes. worked well.
i donot eat when i am not hungry and i donot eat that which i donot crave, mybody crave foods for a reason-i trust my body to tell me when i need something i havent remembered to eat. hasnt let me down in 60+ yrs...
when i am on watch, i dont eat as much as drink water ---i usually eat when off watch..and when sailing we dont make too much food--use mostly finger foods and sammiches, things readily edible while struggling with an unruly helm in a storm...
i also noticed the "diets" of the day include many trendy ideas--i donot follow these. how can a cereal, made out of carbohydrates, have low carbs--lol--is silly and not intelligent. get real--starches are carbs. lol. fats are fats. they store as fats. carbs in excess store as fats. all excess foods store as fats. trends be damned--as they prove to be, actually. just eat healthy and smaller portions and there is no problem. this is mind over matter--sometimes seems like mined over matter...but self control is what die-t-ing is all about--and diet is die with a t on the end,just as garfield says....self control is a better name for it....and i dont weigh, but rather see what fits me..is a better way to tell--i donot believe in daily weigh ins, as the weights are not necessarily the proof diet is working--is proof that the body changes day to day and the weight reflects that.
\i used to teach in a "spa" in exchange for time in the workout room....before i discovered active lifestyle works better than playing in a gym.

iam not one to encourage females to run--causes prolapse of internal organs--very painful--and so does jumping and other high impact routines that ar erecommended BY MEN for folks in the weight loss regime. i took care of way too many females with dropped guts to do that stuff myself.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 19:29   #178

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Sail to Europe, bring enough food for 15 days. You'll be 1/2 way there when you run out of food.

But if you ration from the start you'll do the same thing and you won't be able to cheat (unless you fish real good, and even that is better than a bag of chips.)
Old 19-08-2010, 00:37   #179
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And Finally.... She's off the Starting Block.....

Look, Look, Look, Look, Look, Look, Look, Look!!!!!!!!

Here's the Weight stats:
Week0: 82.9 kg
Week2: 83.4kg
Week4: 82.9kg

Week5: 81.1kg

YIPPEE!!!!!!!

YIPPEE!!!!!!!

YIPPEE!!!!!!!

YIPPEE!!!!!!!

YIPPEE!!!!!!!

Old 19-08-2010, 01:58   #180