Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2010, 13:29   #106

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Fiddlesticks. Up to 84.2 now. That just can't be all muscle!

Yesterday's Food:

Bfast: small bowl of healthy bran stuff with low fat milk ().
Lunch: cucumber, salmon & avocado salad (); california roll (), spicy tuna roll (), four large shrimps in batter (); one scoop ice-cream ()
Dinner: cucumber, salmon & avocado salad ()
Supper: four pineapple slices

OK, so because we went for Sushi at lunch time, I didn't pig out on fruit all day like I usually am; but I think to have gone UP two kilos is a little too much. That can't all be muscle! It looks like I'm gonna have to give up the sushi and revert back to the popcorn after all!!

I have been running half hour every day, and doing yoga sometimes too; and am enjoying the lifestyle changes. Oh well, fruit fast for me today!

Anyway, morning all, have a nice day!

I stopped weighing myself daily for the same reason, and i know focus less on the scale and more on the ruler. Water, muscle, food all change the bodies weight. It would get frustrating to me.

Before when I was dieting I would hit a plateau where I wouldn't seem to lose any weight for weeks, scale went up slightly. However when i did my photo and measurements, I was down 3" in the waste and down in all other areas. With myself less then stellar numbers on the scale meant nothing as I was trimming down.
However I know the pain and it makes it very easy to want to give up, or try more drastic weight loss methods.

I was a baby fat kid, soft but not really big, When I got to highschool I played football, I have a big frame but football had me working out daily for 2-3 hours, I was in stellar shape 6 pack and everything. Then college came, I stopped playing football discovered beer and pizza. Well it didn't take long to go from 6'3" 190lbs, to 250, I yo yo dieted up and down, by 30 I was at my heaviest 350lbs. size 44 pant. in 6 months eating practically nothing, working out all the time, I dropped to 250. gradually I ate more, worked out less, got back up to 300 in 3 months.

I am not down to 260lbs, it has taken me over a year to drop the 40 lbs. I have gained some muscle but I am now in a 38 pant. My goal is 225.

few things have worked for me thus far,
1. Staying on a diet I can maintain. Why bother if you don't ever want to eat the things that helped me lose weight again. I like a hamburger or chicken wings on occasion. I eat smaller portions, more veggies then I did before, but haven't done anything super drastic, sure I could lose it faster but I want to keep it off this time.

2. Exercise, sure on TV these people lose incredible amounts of weight in short periods of time, but they are in the gym 8 hours plus a day. I can only commit and hour. Some days more, but I make my self set aside an hour a day, could be 30 in the am 30 in the PM, but still 1 hour. If not my lifestyle, kids, jobs etc etc etc. get in the way, I have done the work out as much as I possibly can, 4 hours plus a day, lost the weight but because I couldn't maintain that I gained it back.

3. Water, I drink lots and lots of water, not this gets boring sometimes for me, and I grave the dreaded soda pop. Which I do allow myself on occasion. But I add some lemon or lime juice to the water, and it helps with that craving.

4. Booze, as I have gotten older beer isn't that major for me, but I do like my vodka and rum. I only drink socially, but when I do I limit myself, I also try to bring some wine into the mix, I am not a big wine drinker but I know it is better for me then some of the mixed drinks. But I am not kidding anyone if I say I will give up drinking, because I know I won't, I like to occassionally have a drink on the weekend or with dinner. Why deny yourself lifes pleasures.

5. Body cleansing. There are teas and pills you can get to clean out the system. I do this every 6 months, I do a week long cleansing. there are 30 day kits. Not the most fun you will ever have but I tend to lose a few pounds doing them and I do feel a burst of energy. There can be nasty things in the body that don't come out without help.

6. Vitamins, my dietitian gave me a list of about 40 pills to take a day, I laughed no way that will ever happen. I agreed on 2 multi vitamins. after about a week of taking them I had noticed a diffence in my energy and how I felt.

7. Surround yourself with people who respect what you are doing and can help motivate you. I love it when friends tell me I am looking good, gives me more insentive to keep going.

Understand not everything works for everyone. it is finding what works for you, never expect the quick rewards like you see on TV, I have been battling my weight for 15 years. and I finally feel like I am winning the battle.

I am going for chicken wings tonight, I know this so we will talk to the restaurant 5km each way, I will limit myself to a single order and will have water with lime. I had a lighter lunch and breakfast knowing I will be having a high calorie and fat dinner.

You can do it, there seems to be lots of support here for you.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 23:38   #107
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
Week 2: 82.4kg - Change: +0.3kg

Week1: 82.9 kg
Week2: 83.2kg

Hm. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I am feeling better. I am eating better. I am exercising better. I have even made a workout playlist with the catchiest tunes I've had on when exercising!

In fact, I have totally been a good girl this week, so please don't shout!

It isn't unusual for people who start a healthy living plan to gain a little weight due to muscles building up, so I'm not gonna despair! Yet!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 23:43   #108
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Slightly Green with envy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
AD- down my first kilo (214)
Whoooppeeeee!!

Congratulations - you are (I believe) the first to achieve it on this thread!!!
This deserves a celebration - just change the wording.....

In fact - Reckless - thank you for your experience as well. I really am enjoying reading everyone's stories - it is the motivation I need to keep going. And boy, last night was I craving for that popcorn!! (But I am not going to touch it till I'm down to 81.9kg, so don't worry!! ANd I might have forgotten to mention, they're not big bags!!)
Old 23-07-2010, 04:04   #109
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Week1: 82.9 kg
Week2: 83.2kg

It isn't unusual for people who start a healthy living plan to gain a little weight due to muscles building up, so I'm not gonna despair! Yet!
Yeah

As said - it's the trend that tells you something.

and even if the above was reversed it wouldn't really mean anything - albeit would feel encouraging

Keep off the Pop(corn)
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 05:32   #110

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Easy there boy, she said "In fact, I have totally been a good girl this week . . ." And it is not uncommon for female weight to vary 1 to 2 Kg during a month due to water retention, so it is possible she actually lost a kilo or so. . . A better indicator for the ladies is clothing sizes - if the skirt size trend is downward, that's good (excepting blouse sizes of course).
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 06:17   #111
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Easy there boy, she said "In fact, I have totally been a good girl this week . . ." And it is not uncommon for female weight to vary 1 to 2 Kg during a month due to water retention, so it is possible she actually lost a kilo or so. . . A better indicator for the ladies is clothing sizes - if the skirt size trend is downward, that's good (excepting blouse sizes of course).
Just because I don't say something, doesn't mean I don't know it.........

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 10:02   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Just because I don't say something, doesn't mean I don't know it ...
I wish I'd said something like that!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 10:17   #113

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Mintyspot,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Ummmm... I suspect that Kuwaiti butchers will not have many pigs on display. think about what part of the world it is in.
Good point. I actually had that same thought about 2 hours after clicking the "submit" button.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 12:00   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Kate will do it. As a Doc, I agree that women vary their wieght on a monthly basis. The proof is the long haul.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 14:41   #115
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
...A better indicator for the ladies is clothing sizes - if the skirt size trend is downward, that's good (excepting blouse sizes of course).
Nope, afraid the blouse is still straining at the buttons!!

Quote:
Easy there boy....
Old 24-07-2010, 13:19   #116
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

82.4 again!!

See - I was down this morning - so maybe I should switch my weigh in day??

Although - I was 82.4 on Thursday, 83.2 yesterday, and 82.4 again today. This is why I could go dilly with a daily weigh in....
Old 24-07-2010, 15:49   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Kate- I jumped at first too, not sure what did it. Keep it up. I just read your smoothie post. What about cocoa in there instead of peanut butter? I love chocolate and bananas...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 22:53   #118
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Back to over 83 again

BUT.............

I have lost an inch and a half from my hips, and half an inch from my neck....

Yeah!!!!!

Oh, and I can feel the sylf-like waif starting to break out now.....
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Kate/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images

Old 27-07-2010, 02:16   #119

I am really glad it is working for you, keep up the good work

PS I lost 2lbs this week, looks like I have unofficially joined this group lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 03:05   #120

Quote:
BUT.............

I have lost an inch and a half from my hips, and half an inch from my neck....

Yeah!!!!!
So, you're two inches shorter now?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote