Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2010, 13:10   #1

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
We Just Hit Oil in Mobile Bay

We are 18 miles from Horn Island in Mississippie Sound and are in oil. It is lots of little strands oil. It is not a solid slick but it is constant. We have taken up one motor and are running on one motor. We were planning on staying on Horn Island. Now I don't know what we will do. Keep us in your prayers.

Sea Yawl Later,

Rusty and LInda
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 23:26   #2

Boat: coming soon.......
That has to be a horrible feeling knowing that crap is around your boat Hopefully you can get out of it soon and get your hull cleaned up asap.
Serenity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 16:39   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
is cat island ok?? go there if it is--petit bois also-- goooodluck!! is such a shame and a tragedy that gorgeous area is spoiled .. .....we ran through there like we were shot almost 2 months ago thinking we werent going to make slidell before booming of rigolets but that did not happen by the time i flew home----you guys are getting the last sailing look at the area pre-spill.....except now is mid spill---be safe --friend just went icw to texas and was oiled on the water line.....but i dont know where to duck into there anymore--is all oily..many places have booms up.....
there is a yard inlake st catherine, if that is good....another yard and marina just inside rigolets..i dont know pascagoula or gulfport ..but there have to be marinas and such there.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 21:22   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I got oil on our hull in Colon, Panama and in the Canary Islands. Both times it was a real pain to remove the oil. If I was in the Gulf, I would be tempted to pull the boat out of the water until they clean up the mess.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 23:11   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I'm thinking about the oil that's getting picked up through the engine raw water pump...clogged raw water filters and oil in the lift muffler.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:59   #6

This may seem like a dumb question but why are you sailing in that area? Are you surprised you encountered the oil? Who is responsible for oil(or engine damage) on boats(BP?) if someone deliberately sails into an area known to be in the 'potential oil slick area'? I am just thinking that unless someone has a reason to sail in those areas they probably should steer clear for lots of reasons. And by reason I mean necessity.
ude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:21   #7

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Ok, I guess I need to clarify. I guess I didn't think about the people who would read this entry that does not know us or follow our web site. I was asked to report if and when we saw oil so I did. We had a very good reason for "deliberately" sailing into this area WE HAD TO GET HOME!!!
We left in January from Kemah, Texas and have been in the Exuma's. We HAD to get home. We didn't even know about the spilll for several weeks and then getting information was difficult. We were in remote places most of the time and did not have phone or internet service a lot of the time.
Our home is in Beaumont, Texas. Our boat is in Kemah, Texas because my husband will be staying on SYL while he is on a turnaround in Baytown.
We did try to "steer" clear as much as possible. That is why we went intracoastal. Our only other option was to go by way of Cuba and go around south of the spill. We know of another couple who left when we did and chose that route because they had inboard motors (we have two outboards). They also had another couple fly down to help them and had all the appropriate charts and fuel capacity. It was just my husband and I, we did not have charts nor the fuel capacity. We made the right decision. We did fine. Our boat needs clean up on the hull. Our motors are fine and had the oil been thicker we would have closed thruhulls but it was not necessary.
I hope this clears things up. Pictures and details are on our web site, www.sittononthebeach.com
Thank you for your concern. We are home safe and sound.
Sea Yawl Later
Linda
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:52   #8

Have someone dive it to clean it, get the receipt, and mail it to BP to pay for it. I would.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:56   #9

How about a marine radio? No charts? I am not second guessing anyone but from the Exumas to Mississippi without any communications? The spill started on April 20 and pretty much has been covered on every type of media(including marine radio, and definitely the main subject in the Gulf). I don't know where you would have stopped the wouldn't have had some sort of information. BTW, WE HAD TO GET HOME is really not a necessity. That's the 'necessity' that gets many a sailor(and pilots) in trouble. There are many ways to get home if you have to get there(plane, train, bus,).
Old 01-07-2010, 21:57   #10

How is BP responsible if someone deliberately sails into a known oil slick area? I don't think you can play the 'victim' card to get some free money from BP for that.
Old 01-07-2010, 22:00   #11

I just saw the photos of the oil. Is that the most oil you saw?