Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 17:55   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I've never struck a manatee, Knock on wood... but you do have to be very careful at times. Where I live power boats are their enemy as some of those guys always have the throttle to the stops. They do a lot of damage when they hit one of these gentle creatures.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 21:17   #17

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Check to see if all visitors have left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Very good point. Yes, it is often the sound of the animal that catches your attention. Today, I saw a manatee within 3ft of my dinghy. Heard the "PFFFFFT!" then saw bubbles everywhere before the manatee surfaced more of its body.

Then later, after some visitors left, I was putting a few things away on deck and it was very quiet. I heard another "pffffft!" and it was a dolphin about 10 ft off my starboard hull. There were quite a few of them out here today, actually.
Occasionly this has happened to me too,when im putting things away that are a bit heavy I hear a "pfffffft" and also blame it on visitors who have left.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 14:08   #18

Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look at the photos in the gallery.

Have a great day!

Smiles

Nicolle
Old 07-04-2008, 14:12   #19

Wow! Manatees.

How lucky you were to see one in your dinghy!

I would just love to see one so close, we tried to see some when we were in Florida but sadly did not see any.

They are just sooooo cute!

Have a great day!

Smiles

Nicolle
Old 07-04-2008, 14:23   #20

You can see them up this way Nicolle. In Hervey bay. They're called Dugongs here though.

In the season (September - November) There are also humpbacks wall to wall. They actually come up to your boat, and swim under and around you. If they're in the mood they hang around for ages.

On our first overnight sail up the east coast of Aus we had dolphins swimming with us - at night it's just fantastic, they glow with phosphorescence, and leave sparkling trails behind them. And it got even better - we had a humpback swim alongside for about an hour - at night - glowing - just amazing. Something we'll never forget.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 14:33   #21

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Yeah, its super cool seeing critters out there. Ive seen pods of Orca (at least 30 in a pod one time) Humpbacks, Greys, Dahl's Porpose, and even fat freaking puffins that ate too much to fly off. All of them were up in Alaska. Down in the Caribbean, I saw mostly bottlenoses and blue footed boobies. The boobies would dive bomb in our wake, chasing flying fish. I did see a shark (probably a basking shark) that was at least 30 feet long. Insane. Near land we would see spotted rays, manatee, and all kinds of other stuff. Just keep your eyes open and you will see a ton.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 16:04   #22

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Whales are common in the winter months in the tropics. One big male surfaced directly in front of my port ama--I had to start the diesel and reverse to avoid running on to him. He drew ahead of me very leisurely and when he next surfaced was about a hundred metres ahead--so we resumed course.

Biggest shark I have seen alongside was a Tiger shark--estimated sixteen feet long. As big a Tiger as I have seen anywhere. They come into the shallows to eat turtles and stingrays--but I also saw a basking shark that was much bigger but a lot further away--and a plankton feeder--

There are a lot of whales around the Whitsunday Islands in the winter--they calve up there, then return south to feed on krill during our Summer. One has to watch out for them all of the time, but if I see them I start the diesel. This way they know I am not a whale in trouble.

Sharks are extremely common on the Australian coast--and if one baits a bouyed set line with a bunch of fresh whole mullet on a light chain or heavy cable trace and four to six inch hook, so that the bait floats clear of the bottom feeding crabs and the anchor, the chances are good that you will hook a shark--and often a large shark. Why would one bother? One hooks enough of the smaller varieties by accident while fishing for one's dinner.

I was at anchor one evening when the depth alarm sounded--although I knew I was in over twenty feet of water at low water springs. Anyhoo--I shone a spotlight over the side and saw two large pale blue objects about a metre apart below the boat, like two huge luminous eyes staring out of the gloom, ahead of an ominous looking shadow. One of them pulsed at me and I knew it was a jellyfish--and the dark long shadow a patch of seaweed. Just then downtide of my tri I heard a turtle's explosive exhalation--so now when I hear something passing under the vessel I still check the depth--I have even had turtles bounce their way down the hull in the current, which can be quite strong in some places where the tide fall is considerable and the navigable channels are narrow. Good anchors are essential.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 16:18   #23

Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for your posts sharing what marine creatures you have seen.

I have been living on our Beneteau 393 now for 3 weeks and we have been doing some day sails around Saint Martin in the Caribbean.

I have been looking for all sorts of sea life and have seen some of the cutest!

I have seen the lovely flying fish gliding along the waves like silvery butterflies, cute sea turtles taking a leisurely swim, beautiful star fishes on the bottom of the sea floor, schools of little and medium size fish, large fish and even large jumping fish at night, and lots of lovely sea birds too.

I must admit I am sad that I have not yet seen my first dolphins at sea yet or any whales but I know that in time I will see them and many other beautiful creatures of the ocean.

I love the sea turtles they are so sweet and just look so relaxed swimming along without a care in the world!

Have a wonderful day everyone and happy spotting and cruising!

Smiles

Nicolle J
Old 07-05-2008, 12:40   #24

I have a very depressing but intuitive story about a mother bottle nose! I have swam with dolphins hundreds of times and manatees. But this time I was in a dinghy! I saw a bottle nose off the bow pushing something desperetly in and out of the water! She was sort of popping it with her nose gently but firmly! When we got a little closer we could see that this strange whitish object was her baby, that had obviously died during the night! The most interesting part about was not only her persistance and obvious distress, but it looked like she was giving the baby CPR trying to hit air into the poor little things body! It was horribly sad! Finally FWC got involved and try to take her baby away so she could move on! She would not allow it. We all watched helplessly as she tried to save her baby. Finally she seemed to give up after taking the baby out the inlet she let the current take it away! We watched her do this for the entire day! She did not want to give up hope! I hope that she went on to have another baby, but I still cry thinking about her!
mermaidserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:57   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

We have dolphins (or some sort of Porpoise) around here and see them half a dozen times a year or so.....they seem to like riding under the bow waves.....maybe it's kinda like surfing for them?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphins