Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 12:53   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
"I was talking this over with my friends Bill and Simmone Butler the other day, and frankly we just don't see any harm in a having less whales around.
Sincerely - Captain Pollard, S/V Essex."
Notwithstanding the unfortunate fates of the Essex & Sibony, I wonder how realistic it would be to remove all potential hazards (to us) from our world?
See the Cruisers’ Psychology thread.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 13:03   #62

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Notwithstanding the unfortunate fates of the Essex & Sibony, I wonder how realistic it would be to remove all potential hazards (to us) from our world?
See the Cruisers’ Psychology thread.
Very true, and without the hazards we'd have no excitement, no feeling of accomplishment from dealing with them, and no stories to tell!
Old 20-10-2010, 19:29   #63

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Has anyone tried stopping their boat. It seems like that would be worth a try.
We sailed from Plymouth to Boston a couple of years ago, and decided to go out over the Stellwagon bank to whale watch on the way. We saw a whale watching boat turn towards a spout, so we did too, and ended up sailing very slowly/drifting with sheets released and jib furled for a while. Two humpback whales came/stayed very near us, close enough (and upwind) so when one blew my wife and sons got "sprayed". STINKY breath! One left pretty quickly, the other hung around (there were about 2 or 3 other boats besides us, little fishing boats) for 45 minutes or so.

The encounter ended when one whale swam directly towards us, nose to bow, and slipped under the water about 20 feet off the bow. We never saw it again, but I held my breath for half a minute waiting to feel Liberty lurch skywards. It was an eerie ending to an exciting encounter for us.

We have also seen a pod of pilot whales basking on the surface between the Bahamas and North Carolina, I think - somewhere out there.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 20:49   #64
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
The show, IMHO is bogus

Just like many other environmental groups/miscellaneous causes....they are corrupted by the money. I won't harpoon any group....but Labor Day Beggars (esp Firefighters) and Runners for XXXX. Really turn me off.

I have two Nephews who are Professional AND Volunteer Firefighters
They do the "begging" because the "White Hats" say so.

My niece is a Professional in Envionmental Research/Remediation with a worldwide firm.
She leads field teams in some areas that we don't even realize are in our back yard........

She CARES MORE than any eco-terrorist

(rant light has been extinguished)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porttack View Post
I hear of whale attacks on cruising yachts and wonder how would I react to that event. Then I see on cable’ s “Animal Planet Network”, a new series called “Whale Wars” about the slaughter of whales by the Japanese whalers, in the Tasman Sea, under the cynical cover of “research”. I don’t know if there is a connection between human aggression towards whales and theirs toward us, maybe. If the shoe was reversed I know how I would react.

Whales have been deemed by international treaty to be protected. Considering the history of whaling, I agree with that aim. The Japanese say they do also, but their actions say they don’t. The “Whale Wars” series makes that plain.

However, the actions of the “Sea Sheppard”, which is supposed to be the hero ship, in the series, Is run by a foolish captain and crew and I believe they ultimately are counterproductive with their over aggressive and reckless tactics. IMHO, they hurt the cause they try to support.

On the other hand I do believe the old “Greenpeace” organization has become too careful and too fat and has settled into a mainstream politics that cares more about raising money than their original charter of saving endangered species; the whales were among their first.

Am I naive? Is this issue above, below or spot on the radar of cruising people in this forum?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 13:51   #65

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
Yikes!! Plants, trees, warm blooded AND now cold blooded intertebrates are against us as well??

We are doomed.
Warm blooded inebriates? Only some of us are from Down Under!

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 14:27   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I've seen several species of whales including an awesome pod of Orcas who kept returning to the boat for four or five days during my first West-East crossing and have seen whales on everyone since.. especially approaching the Azores.
Also seen whales in the Biscay and of the Portuguese coast over the last 4 years... not just pilot whales either... these were biggies at 50ft+
Mainly they've just come over and hung out for a while... one December crossing of the Biscay in a 22ftr with a NW 7 and waves of 12+ft I was running before under 1/2 genny when one popped up 2 waves behind and surfed upto my stern.. he then veered off and surfed alongside for about 15mins before heading off again... seemed to me he enjoyed the company and the sport...
The only 'Close Encounter' I've had was on a flat calm day when this big bugga came bombing along on the surface at a 45degree angle to my bow... I slowed and he passed about 50ft ahead of me... I honestly dont think he even saw me.. he just kept speeding on into the distance... obviously 'On a Mission'....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 17:12   #67
cruiser

I think whales, who have been surfacing at speed from great depths, their entire lives , without ever seeing a surface vessel up there , continue to do so .,short of breath and dozing a bit , when by sheer chance , hit something floating. In my steel boat I don't worry about them. I'm glad they are out there.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 11:17   #68

Boat: Pearson 34
I was on a 60 ft Hatteras sportfisher out of Jaco Beach CR a few years ago. The boat was being repaired after the port shaft hit a baby whale. The captain did not know what kind it was, only that the calf lay floating dead in the water while the mother breached all the way up to the fly bridge 20 something feet above the water and the eye was about 3 feet from the window. The captain panicked and made way for the marina on one engine. He feared the mother would breach and land on the deck and destroy the boat. It never happened but he said he had nightmares about the incident and felt terrible about the calf. It was an accident and he said he was only cruising at 25 kts when it happened. This was 10 miles west of Herradura Bay.......
merrick44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 11:50   #69

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porttack View Post
Then I see on cable’ s “Animal Planet Network”, a new series called “Whale Wars” about the slaughter of whales by the Japanese whalers, in the Tasman Sea, under the cynical cover of “research”. I don’t know if there is a connection between human aggression towards whales and theirs toward us, maybe. If the shoe was reversed I know how I would react.

Whales have been deemed by international treaty to be protected. Considering the history of whaling, I agree with that aim. The Japanese say they do also, but their actions say they don’t. The “Whale Wars” series makes that plain.
I do not believe that the Japanese accept the premise that 'whales' are endangered and in need of protection. There are many species of whales; some maybe endangered and many are not. The Japanese position is that those species of whale that are not endangered should be subject to sustainable harvest - just like various other marine species including salmon, halibut and others. Their research is based on seeing what species can sustain a reasonable harvest rate. They have not bought into the idea that whales are sacred cows.

I think that it is time that we face up to our double standard. Those species that are endangered - usually through habitat/food source destruction; occasionally through over-harvesting - deserve real steps to protect them. However, just because 'we' don't eat whale doesn't mean that we can be 'holier than thou' about the use of this natural resource if it can be properly harvested at a sustainable rate.

I enjoy watching whales. I also enjoy watching a salmon run. I wouldn't want to lose either but I don't think posturing and bickering is going to save anything in the long run. All it will do is provide a living for the enviros who take gullible city-folks money.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 12:05   #70
cruiser

To the super greedy, nothing is considered endangered, until it is extinct.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 12:40   #71

Boat: Maxi 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rou-Coo View Post
I do not believe that the Japanese accept the premise that 'whales' are endangered and in need of protection. There are many species of whales; some maybe endangered and many are not. The Japanese position is that those species of whale that are not endangered should be subject to sustainable harvest - just like various other marine species including salmon, halibut and others. Their research is based on seeing what species can sustain a reasonable harvest rate. They have not bought into the idea that whales are sacred cows.

I think that it is time that we face up to our double standard. Those species that are endangered - usually through habitat/food source destruction; occasionally through over-harvesting - deserve real steps to protect them. However, just because 'we' don't eat whale doesn't mean that we can be 'holier than thou' about the use of this natural resource if it can be properly harvested at a sustainable rate.

I enjoy watching whales. I also enjoy watching a salmon run. I wouldn't want to lose either but I don't think posturing and bickering is going to save anything in the long run. All it will do is provide a living for the enviros who take gullible city-folks money.

I take it you haven´t watched "The Cove" then...?
Old 26-10-2010, 13:57   #72

The Cove: No, although I have heard about this bit of propaganda and I have spent a reasonable amount of time in Japan. The dolphin issue is entirely separate from the whaling issue. The dolphins are not a desirable food 'fishery'. They are killed as a predator control method as they are very effective predators on food fish. This is much like Canada permits the kill of the seals on the east coast. Being a Canuck I can't really pretend our seal kill is any different than the Japanese dolphin cull. Neither hackapicks nor daggers make a pretty picture when they kill an animal.
Old 26-10-2010, 14:28   #73

Quote:
The Cove: No, although I have heard about this bit of propaganda and I have spent a reasonable amount of time in Japan. The dolphin issue is entirely separate from the whaling issue. The dolphins are not a desirable food 'fishery'. They are killed as a predator control method as they are very effective predators on food fish. This is much like Canada permits the kill of the seals on the east coast. Being a Canuck I can't really pretend our seal kill is any different than the Japanese dolphin cull. Neither hackapicks nor daggers make a pretty picture when they kill an animal.
Well.. download it or find it wlsewhere. It´s worth the time. And it changes perspective on things when they kill dolphins in that extent. Note, im no "treehugger" of any kind, but they are in fact killing off the dolphins in a rate that would have made Hitler jealous. Sure, the movie is angled against the japanes killing spree since it´s made by the opposing side, but there really are some things done, that I find it hard to believe is fake...
EDIT Dolphins are given to school kids for food, making them sick.
And, oh ye.. dolphins are whales as well.... however what I reacted to was your point that the japs restrain the whale killing to un-endangeroud species thus asking if you saw the film.
Old 26-10-2010, 14:54   #74

I'm not going to get into an argument with a person who:
a) equates killing dolphins with Hitler's attempt to kill all the Jews;
b) refers to the Japanese as 'japs';
c) doesn't realize that there is a difference between whales and dolphins.
Thinks but I'll save my breath.
Old 26-10-2010, 15:08   #75

Quote:
I'm not going to get into an argument with a person who:
a) equates killing dolphins with Hitler's attempt to kill all the Jews;
b) refers to the Japanese as 'japs';
c) doesn't realize that there is a difference between whales and dolphins.
Thinks but I'll save my breath.

Aaaah, but dont take it the wrong way..
What I meant was that the japANEsE (sorry, in Swe its not used in a lesser way, just a short for it. No offense intended) are in a very effective way killing the dolphins.
As for dolphins being equal or not to whales it wasnt the species itself I referred to, but the fact that they kill them regardless of risking extinction or not. The first post I made in this thread was to adress your way of saying that the japANEse only kills what nature can spare in a way...
If I misunderstood you, I apologize. If not then perhaps you misunderstood me..? Dunno. But you really dont have to be sarcastic about it