Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 02:48   #1

What a waste

This has been rotting in Cardiff Bay for years. How can someone have so much money to let this go to waste? Unless there is another more sinister reason for its demise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9304.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	144486
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:40   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: What a waste

I often wonder if the owners of boats like this (and there are many in San Francisco) have become elderly and just keep paying the slip fee (or their family does), but the sentimental value remains so they don't ever try to sell the boat. I don't understand how the marinas can let it happen because vessels are supposed to be registered every year and insured. I think it's just inertia working against these people, which is so sad for these boats.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:24   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

You could track down the owner and make an offer. Clean it up and resell it.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:31   #4

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Those prouts seem like nice boats, especially the 50.
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:39   #5

Is that a Prout then? Would be my dream boat once nice and shiny lol. Must be a mess inside. Mouldy and mildewy. Tried to look through windows but curtains drawn. Aside from a good clean and new rigging what would be other damage from neglect? It's in fresh water. We are locked from the sea with a barrage.
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49   #6
Oc1

Its sad. Almost any Marina in the Country has at least a couple. I can't help think if they would donate the boats before they get to bad how many sailors dreams would come true? I know we are saving for our retirement boat and cruising fund. If we just had to fund the cruising we could cut out a couple years earlier!
Oc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:06   #7

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
Is that a Prout then? Would be my dream boat once nice and shiny lol. Must be a mess inside. Mouldy and mildewy. Tried to look through windows but curtains drawn. Aside from a good clean and new rigging what would be other damage from neglect? It's in fresh water. We are locked from the sea with a barrage.

Looks like a proud quasar to me. They have a good rep as a solid boat. Regarding what would be needed, who knows. If it hasn't leaked, the interior could be wonderful.
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Sadly the financial realities sometimes dictate that it is cheaper to allow a boat like this to deteriorate than it is to send it to the junk yard. I know of more than one boat where the owners first tried to sell it, then tried to give it away, then when no one would take it created corporations to sell the boat to capitalized the company with enough cash to continue paying the slip fees and just walked away.

The problem is the cost of disposal is higher than the cost of continued ownership so it makes sense financially to just keep owning it forever.

On many of these any offer, even an offer to take it for free would be accepted. But it's probably a bad financial deal for the new owner.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Sadly the financial realities sometimes dictate that it is cheaper to allow a boat like this to deteriorate than it is to send it to the junk yard. I know of more than one boat where the owners first tried to sell it, then tried to give it away, then when no one would take it created corporations to sell the boat to capitalized the company with enough cash to continue paying the slip fees and just walked away.

The problem is the cost of disposal is higher than the cost of continued ownership so it makes sense financially to just keep owning it forever.

On many of these any offer, even an offer to take it for free would be accepted. But it's probably a bad financial deal for the new owner.
Cleaned up, eco/compost head installed, and put on a mooring it would make for at least a nice airbnb. Surely it would be better for the environment that putting the hull into a landfill.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:41   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Cleaned up, eco/compost head installed, and put on a mooring it would make for at least a nice airbnb. Surely it would be better for the environment that putting the hull into a landfill.
How much would it cost to clean up? I don't know the boat, but if the inside is rotted it could be a hundred thousand dollar to return it to habitable space. I am not sure that's a business plan I would be willing to support.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote