Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 13:26   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy wanderer View Post
A slinky a slinky the funnest the best of the toys, a slinky a slinky the favorite of girls and boys.
"Some people are like slinky's. They have no use at all but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

Coops.
Old 26-04-2014, 13:29   #167

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Here's a mixed bag:
1.) IQ is measurable by standardized tests
2.) the ability to use a computer does not imply intelligence or education
3.) Life can exist without cellphones
4.) Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him
for a lifetime
5.) Compassion like ethics is a learned behavior
6.) The quality of being educated is measurable
7.) If people want to be equal, they should be judged by equal standards
8.) Ethics and morality make for better people and a better society
9.) Family values are important
10.)Without an intelligent population, Democracy is doomed to fail
Old 26-04-2014, 14:21   #168
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Teach a man to fish and you rape the earth.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 14:35   #169

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Teach a man to fish and you rape the earth.
Mark,
I don't think I understand. Can you explain?
Old 26-04-2014, 14:52   #170
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

I think he meant.. 'Teach a man to fish and he'll rape the oceans..'
Only I think they've been Gang Banged...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 15:03   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Not so much,here in the PNW, crabs are plenty and delicious. Now that I am in MY 60s I resemble them more and more. So what can I learn from that?
How to dodge the traps?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 15:32   #172

Re: What did we learn from the 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Complaining about the young is of all ages. The current batch of young people will make the same complaints about the next one...
Just like the current generation will blame the preceding generations for there current woes......it's a never ending story.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 19:21   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Well, the last couple of pages were a wild ride. But something I learned back then, when two people are going at it sometimes its best just to watch. Interesting conclusions can come from it...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 19:51   #174
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What did we Learn from the 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Just like the current generation will blame the preceding generations for there current woes......it's a never ending story.....

Funnily as a child of the 60s, I see more evidence of a homogeneous society then before. For example, my adult kids have very similar values to me as an adult, then I had as a teenager relative to my parents.

We both now " appreciate " the same broad tastes in music. We all embrace technology, they are more conservative, less radical , more concerned about jobs and job security, as they've seen the effects of a recent significant global recession.

Back in the day , there were huge gulfs between my parents generation and mine. They had come through a world war , that certainly on this side of the pond had left incredible hardship in it wake. But we suffered no recession till we were well into adulthood, the taste in music was radically different , the politics of our youth was radical ( if naive ) theres was pragmatic and austerity based. We were children of the tv age, they were not. Etc. the big difference , I see is that today's young adults are far more environmentally aware and supportive of environmental change and even radical change. I feel that's good for the future

I have a lot of respect for the young adults of today. They've had it harder then we have and they are coping admirably. The planet is in good hands. ( well as least as good and hopefully better, then has gone before )

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26-04-2014, 22:43   #175

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Would it be wrong if I like the idea of increasing the crabbing season. It was better and longer in the 60s
Oh man, that's funny. I'd have replied sooner but often have issues getting on this pirated wifi signal afloat from a mile away. "My" signal is sorta like a government entitlement only not nearly as punctual as that monthly check.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 22:54   #176

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Well, the last couple of pages were a wild ride. But something I learned back then, when two people are going at it sometimes its best just to watch. Interesting conclusions can come from it...
The indulgence of the mods is often unacknowledged but appreciated.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 02:48   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

I have a lot of respect for the young adults of today. They've had it harder then we have and they are coping admirably. The planet is in good hands. ( well as least as good and hopefully better, then has gone before )

Dave
But............ it is not in their hands. The 60s 70s 80s 90s and the 21st century was not and is not in 'our' hands. We only live here. the corporations and power brokers own it and us.

Right now, we are ruled by the 60s rulers who learned from the previous powerbrokers........ and nothing changed for several thousand years before. Its much easier to accept or hope in change than face the reality that Nothing has changed.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 02:51   #178
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just needed an excuse to post the picture......
Old 27-04-2014, 02:53   #179

Boat: Skookum 53'

"You are a child of the universe, you have a right to be here..." Doesn't mean one should lay waste to the planet while here. It feels like the convention family has kind of dissolved and evolved into a different form. I have many fond memories of getting together on occasions with all the Uncles/Aunts, cousins etc... today much less so and most of my elders have passed from this plane. I feel a disconnection from even my own siblings, we are all so busy with our own little lives that we don't stay in touch. I have one sibling that even lives in the same town as I do, and I let her know when I am coming in for time off, yet we don't get together. We are not estranged, just too damn busy. Stop the world, I want to get off.
Old 27-04-2014, 03:31   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
It feels like the convention family has kind of dissolved and evolved into a different form.......... I feel a disconnection from even my own siblings,
we are all so busy with our own little lives that we don't stay in touch. I have one sibling that even lives in the same town as I do, and I let her know when I am coming in for time off, yet we don't get together.
Oh yes.

You know why people who opt out of shore life and go cruising are happy? Because they use what they want from shore life, internet, GPS, etc and disregard the rest.

They get in touch with what REALLY is important. Self reliance, time for each other and self respect. They dont want to impose on anyone else. (except for that jerk on a jetSki yesterday)

Our busy ness with life is not with life.... it is with what we get occupied
with, what we think is important. I work in a system which requires me to document EVERYTHING that is said and done........(medical).... and its not for the benefit of the patient, its to CoverMyAss and the bottom of the medical authority. It wastes so much time.

The 60s came in two parts. The naivetee and innocence of the first few years followed by the acceptance of harsh realities of the latter.

Families would sit and eat meals together, the evening meal mainly, no matter what their schedule, and discuss the events of the day. Bonds were recemented and roles were clearly in place.

In the early part of the 60s, Parents were respected. The second part of the 60s saw the wild bi polar swing to publically denouncing ALL values, all family connections and open defiance of parental control.

In the first half of the 60s... there was a sense of eternity, of safety. Kids would play out on their bikes with their friends, fall off, go home, mum would patch us up and then we could go right back to playing out.

After 1966, (world cup for Brits).. it was like the board got swept clean. TV got going and for us all, the horror of Vietnam was in our face.

All of a sudden, this anger and frustration exploded in expression. Watching innocent people burn with USA made Napalm in your living room was hard to take.. along with the knowledge that the war was a war without reason.

The wars and violence in real life started to divide the populace within countries, and also families. Older people could not understand how their kids who benefited from their allegiance to a country and whom were at college, spoke out against the acts of their leaders. For the kids part, they could not understand why their parents would continue supporting such injustice.

When the 70s came....... for those old enough to start their own families and lives, the 60s suddenly closed. Sadly, also the close family chats of the early 60s had changed forever. Belief and confidence in our countries were tinged with suspicion and distrust...... rightly so.

We had a new life after the 1960s...... but there was also a terrble cost to it. For those of us in our late 50s and 60s, we still carry the responsibility of helping to lose something so special, Yet....... it was not really our fault.

We cant regret. We cant. We were part of something bigger than ourselves and had no directions or instruction book of how to solve it. It didnt work. 'Da man" as Boatie calls the powers that be, are still in charge.

But something changed forever. And we never did get organised properly and never will.