Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 12:39   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy wanderer View Post
shows not over yet.
Not a word.
nope.
letting the pensioners have at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrontiersman
That unchecked liberalism (in the Timothy Leery sense) is a disease and its adherents are hopelessly marred by its effects. Utterly and completely destructive....

....Yo...
I looked in the sky where..
an elephants eye...
was looking at me from a bubble gum tree,,
and all that I knew was the hole in my shoe...
was letting in water... letting in water...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 12:47   #212

Boat: corsair tri and custom cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrontiersman View Post
That unchecked liberalism (in the Timothy Leery sense) is a disease and its adherents are hopelessly marred by its effects. Utterly and completely destructive....

Converse is exactly same.

(In the Dick Chain me and torture me sense)
gypsy wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:39   #213

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Weavis, you misunderstood the point of my last post. I was not commenting on the 60's, which I did live through and enjoyed very much. I was commenting on the many posts on the thread that were basically rants about the government and the state of affairs. All I was saying is that....I try not to lose too much beauty sleep agonizing over the corrupt politicians, the greedy corporate machine, the lack of morals, and all the rest that has been mentioned in this thread. There is very little, nothing actually, to be done about any of that by little old me. I live in a state that leans so decidedly one way that even my vote doesn't count for anything. If I vote with the herd then I'm just another grain of sand on the beach. If I vote the other way I'm pissing in the wind. I faithfully cast my ballot and then go about my business knowing it counted for naught.

I do try and affect my world in the small ways where I might actually make a little difference, by contributing time, money and support to charities and organizations that I believe can make a difference, by trying to keep my neighborhood clean, by helping a fellow human in need when I can, showing acts of kindness as often as possible to as many as I meet, trying make a difference in the lives of the kids I encounter.

But when it comes to the big political machine and all the ills of society in general, I'm just saying that all this talk is interesting to read, but that's as far as it goes for me. I can't do nothing about it, so ain't spending no time worrying about it. And that's what I've learned.....
Old 27-04-2014, 13:53   #214
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I do the same on this thread as in life. Read the fun posts, glaze, and gloss, over at the ones that want to make a political statement over some point that means something to themselves and shake my head at others.

Rock on, roll on and laugh on.

Coops.
Old 27-04-2014, 14:25   #215
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Weavis, you misunderstood the point of my last post.

.............when it comes to the big political machine and all the ills of society in general, I'm just saying that all this talk is interesting to read, but that's as far as it goes for me. I can't do nothing about it, so ain't spending no time worrying about it. And that's what I've learned.....
No worries at all. As long as the exchanges were interesting to read. We all have observations, and the origins of things are of interest but other people like drinking gin and tonic instead............. wait! I like drinking gin and tonic!

There IS nothing we can do......... except what we can do. I see that the 10 years of the 60s brought a huge mental shift on the part of the perceptive public and for that it was the genesis for a lot of attitudes today.

And saying that, it still will not help loosen this bloody cylinder head on this old Johnson outboard....... I will apply the Manchester Micrometer to it. (hammer)

Still love you all......... and thanks for putting up with our discussions.
After my third comeback..... like Frank Sinatra, I have put the issue to bed.
Old 27-04-2014, 14:29   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You have put Frank Sinatra to bed!!!!!!!!! I would have liked to Put Nancy to bed back in the 60's.

Coops.
Old 27-04-2014, 14:31   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You have put Frank Sinatra to bed!!!!!!!!! I would have liked to Put Nancy to bed back in the 60's.

Coops.

errr... Righty ho then...

Botox is not her friend.

Old 27-04-2014, 14:45   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would still rather bed her than Frank, even if he was alive, but you have made your choice already so who am I to say that yours is not right for you.

Coops.
Old 27-04-2014, 15:48   #219

Boat: Various

I learned nothing directly from the 60's as I wasn't even yet conceived and my wife wasn't even close to birth yet.

But then why just ask what we learned from one decade. As mankind, we've done a tragically poor job of learning from history as a whole. We seem so capable of learning things, inventing things, evolving technologically. We have the ability today to communicate around the world, but it's not taken advantage of for positive and effective communication.

I guess ultimately humans are very fallible. They tend also to not learn so well from the experiences of others, but have to experience it themselves. I dream of a place named Camelot. King Arthur tells us to tell everyone that once it did exist. Don't let it be forgot, That once there was a spot for one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot." Well, it was fictional but what a beautiful thought. What a dream. We should still dream but often in the world dreams get lost.

We as mankind, as a society of the world, don't seem to learn very well. Sometimes I wish I could change the world. Ultimately though all I can do is impact a miniscule portion of it, but I can learn as a person and just do the best I can. And I can individually respect the lessons of the past.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 15:54   #220
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What did we Learn from the 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I learned nothing directly from the 60's as I wasn't even yet conceived and my wife wasn't even close to birth yet.

But then why just ask what we learned from one decade. As mankind, we've done a tragically poor job of learning from history as a whole. We seem so capable of learning things, inventing things, evolving technologically. We have the ability today to communicate around the world, but it's not taken advantage of for positive and effective communication.

I guess ultimately humans are very fallible. They tend also to not learn so well from the experiences of others, but have to experience it themselves. I dream of a place named Camelot. King Arthur tells us to tell everyone that once it did exist. Don't let it be forgot, That once there was a spot for one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot." Well, it was fictional but what a beautiful thought. What a dream. We should still dream but often in the world dreams get lost.

We as mankind, as a society of the world, don't seem to learn very well. Sometimes I wish I could change the world. Ultimately though all I can do is impact a miniscule portion of it, but I can learn as a person and just do the best I can. And I can individually respect the lessons of the past.

I would refute this with a quote

"Agent Smith: Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization."

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27-04-2014, 17:14   #221

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

What a marvelous thread... thanks for allowing it to continue, Coops... I lived through the whole period and was old enough (20's) to remember but I would never have recalled how desparately horrible all conservatives were without Stu's help. Hate is a wonderful thing... it helps clarify things in your mind. Unfortunately, mine was altered with good dope and Tim Leary's funny stuff so I really enjoyed myself. If Stu says it was so desperate, it must be so... I don't have to read any history to find out... just hang onto the crazy stuff I do recall. Canada was a great place to live! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 17:16   #222

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
What did we Learn from the 60's?

Yup! Half way through my 60s and all is still good. By the way, the 60s didn't happen until the 70s, by the 90s we didn't like the 80s, if there are any lessons learned from the 60s we may figure them out in the 20teens. I think the only lesson is, "it all comes down to your attitude". You can choose to see the good in the world around you or the miserable. I like my 60s so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 17:18   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let's get one thing straight here. I personally, do not allow a thread to continue. The mod team allows things to go on, not just one of us. Everything is discussed as a team. Otherwise, for all you know, I may have closed it earlier because I find politics as boring as bat poop.

Coops.
Old 27-04-2014, 17:25   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
as boring as bat poop.
Coops.

Bat poop boring? Oh my gosh........ let me tell you about the benefits of Guano!

Never mind...... you might not be interested......
Old 27-04-2014, 17:27   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Bat poop boring? Oh my gosh........ let me tell you about the benefits of Guano!

Never mind...... you might not be interested......
You are right, I just think it's crap.

Coops.