Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 21:47   #16

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: What do you do with the body?

Pretty sure if you just disposed at sea the other person would be prime suspect in a murder investigation. Despite being not guilty, the thought would always be there with people that it was indeed a murder.

I would bring the body back to shore, no matter what condition it was in. I would also want a proper funeral for my loved one.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 22:17   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It will depend on what *stuff* you have and how far from land/rescue you are. Contact the Marine Rescue Center for the area (can be done by HF radio or SatPhone).

The problem for a small woman to move a big man from below to above decks needs to be solved. I think the main halyard winch and main halyard is what I'd use to get Jim out the mid hatch. Whatever, it is something you need to think about. and the bigger the guy is the harder it will be for the woman.

It depends on what has happened, of course, overboard and unable to get him back aboard, he's dead. Back aboard, might be dying from injuries. Dying, EPIRB: it is a mayday: potential loss of life. Dead, not so. If dead, document what you do to determine if there is a pulse, breathing. Pictures or video would be good if you're comfortable with that, but also have it written down in the ship's log, step by step, detail, by detail, shaky handwriting and all. No one will expect you to be phlegmatic. If you keep the body with you, for a while, describe the process of making the decision to jettison it, getting it in the sailbag, what you've weighted it with, and what words you may have said when you do it. Not all of us are religious, but would still want to say something. Get someone onto arranging for a memorial service, or wait till you're in harbour.

Expect to have a lot of paper work, and to be asked many questions. If possible, a copy of their living will asking for whatever they have decided upon, including withholding palliative care when death is near if that is what they want, should be included, for both your protection, and the wish for the burial at sea would be there also, for you to offer as documentation. Refusal to provide it will make life significantly harder for the survivor.

Ann

On edit, I don't know how long I could keep the body aboard. If you're close (within a day) to land, probably small health hazard to keeping it. it may be easier to move once rigor mortis has set in, but it doesn't last too very long.

To clownfish, if you happen to know a member of the police force, you might ask about that. I really think it is unlikely, but I could be very wrong.
Old 13-03-2017, 23:05   #18
Sav

Boat: Manitou 32 Ketch

I am going to buy a body bag for my yacht for when and if I get out of Sydney Heads on my voyage to Darwin.
For a 2 man crew I'll only need one bag... can't be very costly, the local Vet uses them to put dead animals in (euthanized dogs etc).
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 23:43   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Teach your wife about halyards, handybillies, winches, and snatch blocks. There was a German killed by pirates off Venezuela a few years back. His wife stayed with the body for 3 days, then launched the life raft and got into it. It took another 14 days for her to be rescued, and she was lucky someone found her.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 23:51   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I always carry a chainsaw.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:00   #21

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

You say your wife is hot ! Send me her no and she can contact me at the time . I will dump you overboard and take care of her for you ;-)

Ps - remember to leave us your bank pin codes etc . I mean you do want me to take care of her properly don't you ;-)

Just kidding ! But on a serious note you could have some issues depending on what country you are in. Here in mozambique a friend was telling me years ago about a sailor and his wife that were partying on the island so everyone knew them and they left sailing to their next destination and late that night the husband arrived back to say his wife had fallen overboard . He booked into the hotel for the night and did not "seem" to be concerned. Everybody was speculating that he had thrown her overboard but in the morning many powerboats went out looking for her and they found her alive and yes she did slip overboard
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 04:57   #22

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
As funny as the replies are, this is a really good question.
Yes it is but the answer lies in the laws of the jurisdiction that you are in when it happens. Any advice given on a boating forum is questionable as we have already seen.
Old 14-03-2017, 04:59   #23

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I always carry a chainsaw.

This is concerning! [emoji15]
Old 14-03-2017, 05:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
It will depend on what *stuff* you have and how far from land/rescue you are. Contact the Marine Rescue Center for the area (can be done by HF radio or SatPhone).

The problem for a small woman to move a big man from below to above decks needs to be solved. I think the main halyard winch and main halyard is what I'd use to get Jim out the mid hatch. Whatever, it is something you need to think about. and the bigger the guy is the harder it will be for the woman.

It depends on what has happened, of course, overboard and unable to get him back aboard, he's dead. Back aboard, might be dying from injuries. Dying, EPIRB: it is a mayday: potential loss of life. Dead, not so. If dead, document what you do to determine if there is a pulse, breathing. Pictures or video would be good if you're comfortable with that, but also have it written down in the ship's log, step by step, detail, by detail, shaky handwriting and all. No one will expect you to be phlegmatic. If you keep the body with you, for a while, describe the process of making the decision to jettison it, getting it in the sailbag, what you've weighted it with, and what words you may have said when you do it. Not all of us are religious, but would still want to say something. Get someone onto arranging for a memorial service, or wait till you're in harbour.

Expect to have a lot of paper work, and to be asked many questions. If possible, a copy of their living will asking for whatever they have decided upon, including withholding palliative care when death is near if that is what they want, should be included, for both your protection, and the wish for the burial at sea would be there also, for you to offer as documentation. Refusal to provide it will make life significantly harder for the survivor.

Ann

On edit, I don't know how long I could keep the body aboard. If you're close (within a day) to land, probably small health hazard to keeping it. it may be easier to move once rigor mortis has set in, but it doesn't last too very long.

To clownfish, if you happen to know a member of the police force, you might ask about that. I really think it is unlikely, but I could be very wrong.

Is there really a murder charge concern in the middle of the ocean? I mean, there's no jurisdiction a week from land I think.

I had thought of keeping the details and even without a murder to investigate I agree that family may want to know. Or they may just be glad to know I went overboard! Lol

Now, if it happens that SHE dies and I have to figure out what to do it's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Great thoughts, Ann.
Old 14-03-2017, 05:09   #25

Boat: no boat any more

1 person out of a 2-person crew arriving alone, no body, no fotos? thats for sure going to raise some eyebrows (at least I hope so)!
on a lighter note: winching a corpse up from down below: one wouldn't have to worry about injuries like in MOB retrieval...just winch it up, a few broken bones won't matter!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 05:11   #26

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Yeah, but what kind of anchor should you use?
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 05:13   #27

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Teach your wife about halyards, handybillies, winches, and snatch blocks. There was a German killed by pirates off Venezuela a few years back. His wife stayed with the body for 3 days, then launched the life raft and got into it. It took another 14 days for her to be rescued, and she was lucky someone found her.

I am showing my wife this thread, she thinks she doesn't need to know how to do things by herself......
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 05:25   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

In all seriousness, the situation will be taken up by the authorities of whatever port you arrive in first. I knew of an unrecovered MOB once, and the first port after the incident (in Mexico) assumed jurisdiction, launched a search for the body, and initiated the obscure procedure for the issuance of a death certificate. This included writing letters to all surrounding countries and districts to enquire about a body washed-up, waiting a reasonable period for replies, then applying for a death certificate without habeas-ing a corpus.
It took years, during which time the person was still considered legally alive and married, so no settling of the estate, to file single or jointly? all sorts of questions with real-life ramifications.
Regardless of feelings, take pictures, and like Ann said: log everything. The logbook is a legal document in this case. If more than a day from land or another big boat with a handy fridge, keeping the body is a really unhealthy idea. Your wife's ability to think clearly and function and operate the boat will be hindered by the presence of your decomposing corpse. Better consign you decently to the depths, have that bit of closure, such as it is, and set about getting safely to port.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 05:30   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We had a thread on this about a year or two ago.
I still think a Military body bag is the best solution, I say Military as I have experience with them and know that they are water and I believe gas tight. Depending on your other half's competency, the weather, emotional state etc. I would not rule out the EPIRB.

I am sure no matter where on Earth you are, someone has Jurisdiction on you, however I am no Lawyer, but I can see how it could easily get very problematic having a missing crew member.

I also learned here, why it's called a Lazarette.

This is one of the other threads, there are others
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ea-150590.html
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 05:44   #30

It's interesting that there are other threads and having perused them briefly, not a single husband wife joke!