Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 14:53   #76

Boat: Albin Vega
Re: What do you do with the body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Cut you in half and put each half in a sail bag. Then haul you to the top of the mast where you'll be out of the way.
Nope nope...too much weight aloft! Bahaha
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:04   #77

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Bon Appétit
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 17:01   #78

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Nope nope...too much weight aloft! Bahaha
Unfortunately they would lose weight every day..........as they dripped down onto the deck.
Old 18-03-2017, 17:05   #79

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think he is a professional fisherman? May be someone else I'm thinking about though
"Honest, I thought she was a marlin!" .....over heard as the authorities open the freezer
Old 18-03-2017, 17:10   #80

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Unfortunately they would lose weight every day..........as they dripped down onto the deck.
Just drying out. Jerky!

Yummm,
Old 18-03-2017, 17:21   #81

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Oh the things you must've seen :|
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 17:21   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Just drying out. Jerky!

Yummm,
Mummy, is that you?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 18:29   #83

Boat: Catalina 320

Local sailor went missing from his boat here a while ago, just learned it has caused his wife considerable financial difficulties. Bank accounts frozen, he will be classified as missing for 7 years, might lose her house etc.
Bring the body with you to next landfall, you can tow them in the dink on a long painter if it's warm and going to be awhile. You could wrap them in canvas so they weren't staring at you the rest of the way in and so you don't have to explain to authorities why he's been burnt to a crisp by the sun.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 20:05   #84

Boat: Lagoon 450

Ann covers it quite well above, but if disposing of the body is your last option then you need to be diligent about it so as not to incriminate yourself and to ensure you will be issued with a death certificate. Before gang-planking the weighed body, take your video camera and without stopping the recording, explain the circumstances, get a clear shot of your chartplotter (date, time, position) and push body over, watching it sink away for a few minutes.

The open that bottle of rum and reminisce the memories (or not)!
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 20:40   #85

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I wouldn't worry about incriminating yourself. Give a single statement about what happened and take the fifth after that. Just remember, anything you say WILL be used against you so don't continue talking after the initial explanation. Beyond that let an attorney do the talking.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 07:22   #86

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Oh the things you must've seen :|
Yeah, it was an interesting career. It can mess with your mind and you have to stay on top of it.
Old 19-03-2017, 08:13   #87

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Having had some experience with international death, I can tell you it can be an expensive mess. Before departing get all your paperwork in order (wills etc, as you should anyway). Including title/letters of permission for the boat so either partner has boat related rights (have seen a few surviving partners get screwed by this...not always just by officials, but even by surviving family members). Some nations may recognize this, some not, but regardless it will help sort out the aftermath.

I would also try to contact your home country's embassy (if such exists) in your planned destination for their guidance. Personally, I would want a good attorney to meet me at the dock...many officials may see an event like this as a profitable opportunity.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:00   #88

Boat: a sailing boat

I think the real problem is if the big body dies down below and then the little body cannot drag the big body over the companionway / coaming / overboard.

I cannot see any solution to this. Probably the little body will press the button and keep on sailing till SAR people decide on what action to take. I assume the big body can be removed by SAR.

What you can do though is to make sure the little body has all the basic skills to take the boat from mid ocean to the landfall. Many sailing partners do not have such a skill. In effect, the little body must be removed from the boat by the SAR too. This leads to abandon and nearly always loss of the boat.

There is always the legality of throwing a body overboard. This may lead to questions from the police / insurer / families and press. This would be very bad for the little body.

So, I do not know, I hope others do.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:09   #89

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think the real problem is if the big body dies down below and then the little body cannot drag the big body over the companionway / coaming / overboard.

I cannot see any solution to this. Probably the little body will press the button and keep on sailing till SAR people decide on what action to take. I assume the big body can be removed by SAR.

What you can do though is to make sure the little body has all the basic skills to take the boat from mid ocean to the landfall. Many sailing partners do not have such a skill. In effect, the little body must be removed from the boat by the SAR too. This leads to abandon and nearly always loss of the boat.

There is always the legality of throwing a body overboard. This may lead to questions from the police / insurer / families and press. This would be very bad for the little body.

So, I do not know, I hope others do.

b.
If one could drag the big body to the companion wat, the little body might be able to use the boom to lift the body out of the cabin and off to the side of the boat. But it's no sure thing!

Given the legalities and other difficulties I am inclined to pacha various luck tokens on the boat or take up religion. After that, one can only rely on training for prevention of early death and learning to single hand!
Old 19-03-2017, 11:12   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Well the body bag I ordered has arrived.
It is as I remember them, it is tough and waterproof, I do not know if it could contain all the gases from decomposition though, I do not know if a body will off gas regardless of pressure?
It could have other uses, it is large, but tough and waterproof, you could I guess fill it with as much "stuff" as you could carry in an abandon ship scenario?
If capable of moving the mass, I assume inside the dinghy, in the body bad and Tow the dinghy is a solution.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote