Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2010, 03:42   #1

Boat: wooden boat "Afterlow"
What Do You Think?

In a year or so (if all goes well) account to sell my old wooden boat with inboard and finally buy a sailboat ... until this point everything is normal.
But with this huge machine of the Internet I see in America the beautiful occasions at prices well below that in Italy ... the questions are these:
1) E 'a crazy idea for an Italian buy a boat from America?
2) the possible convenience would be lost with transportation and everything else?
3) Have any of you have heard of such madness?
4) If you think this is feasible ... where to begin to organize?
While I apologize for my bad way to write in English, do you all my congratulations for this wonderful forum and if anyone cares to visit an Italian forum (I think the first one) I am attaching the link below ... my nick name in Italy is Novecento (twentieth ) the link is:
Amici Della Vela
It would be really nice if some of you being dealt with, even in the old continent is very competent people to go sailing to exchange of opinions, it is also equipped with a simultaneous translator.
Thanks Roberto.
Old 14-01-2010, 03:48   #2

buying a boat from the USA

There was an article in a recent Practical Boat Owner magazine in the UK exploring the transport options, Sailing across, having it shipped across on deck of a freighter or in a container. This article also details the import taxes, VAT payable and cost of obtaining a CE certificate. You have to be a brave man to try it.
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 05:02   #3

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Buying a boat overseas

Bobbetto,

We did something similar. We boat a British-registered sailboat lying in Antigua and sailed it back to the states.
In your case I expect that you need to add the cost of shipping the boat to the price of the boat in the states see if that is enough less than the price of the boat in Italy to make the extra problems of buying a boat overseas worthwhile. When you’re calculating your costs, remember to include the trips to the states to see the boat (Unless you’re going to do the whole thing from a distance which I wouldn’t recommend). I would think that the more expensive the boat, the greater the difference in price between the same boat in the U.S. and in Italy
I expect that as in our case you’re going to pay the same taxes no matter where you buy the boat though if the boat is cheaper in the U.S. your taxes might be lower.
One cost we did not anticipate was that of getting the boat re-documented in the United States. We thought of doing it ourselves until we saw what was required. It cost a few hundred dollars but it was worth it to avoid the mountain of paperwork. I would expect that paperwork to transfer an American-owned boat to Italian ownership would be equally complicated.
Thanks for the link to the Italian forum. My wife spent a couple of years studying art in Bologna and it will be a good opportunity for us to practice. I only wish our Otalian was 1/10 as good as your English

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 10:27   #4

Boat: wooden boat "Afterlow"
Hello friends
in fact I was expecting only the confirmation that everything is really complicated.
But I see many sites for the big events of beautiful boats ... he had forgotten
to tell you that I love the old classic wooden boats and where to buy these
treasures if not in America.
Well, probably will remain only a dream and I usually end up with the bathtub in plastic, soulless and without class
Bloodhunter (beautiful your nickname) I'm happy if you come to visit me Italian forum, so maybe I'll go crazy not to write in English (though not my bag of flour I use google translator)
Thank you to the beautiful conversation.
Bob
Old 14-01-2010, 11:32   #5

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Buena Cera Bob.
On line translators miss so much out but im sure everyone understands you very well.
I checked up on your forum earlier and its very well patronised. Italians love boats and the sea so surely you can find an old wooden boat closer to home.
Maybe a latino rig?

Here is a pic of Olbia, Sardegna from the ferry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC100003.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	12602  
Old 14-01-2010, 11:53   #6

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
One problem that comes to mind. If you buy a second-hand boat in Europe from a resident, then the VAT has already been paid, with a few exceptions. Without some clever footwork that is probably only worthwhile for very expensive boats, when you import from the States, VAT can often erode any saving. (20% in Italy I think).

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 14:04   #7
cruiser

Re: What Do You Think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
One problem that comes to mind. If you buy a second-hand boat in Europe from a resident, then the VAT has already been paid, with a few exceptions. Without some clever footwork that is probably only worthwhile for very expensive boats, when you import from the States, VAT can often erode any saving. (20% in Italy I think).

P.
--Sorry to bother but wondered if you know how long an openly broker listed delaware registered USA sailboat can be kept in Italy before the VAT tax must be paid as i have some conflicting advice on this matter. Does the VAT tax rate vary from country to country or what? Cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 14:19   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post

P.
Oh yea love that choice of ride you got . Is it the Nordhavn with the separate "get-home" motor and prop. After we hit some uncharted coral heads and wrecked our prop and bent the driveshaft i always thought "wahat a great idea". Just saying is all . Cheers ,personal e-mail would be appreciated..
Old 29-06-2011, 14:52   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbetto View Post
In a year or so (if all goes well) account to sell my old wooden boat with inboard and finally buy a sailboat ... until this point everything is normal.
But with this huge machine of the Internet I see in America the beautiful occasions at prices well below that in Italy ... the questions are these:
1) E 'a crazy idea for an Italian buy a boat from America?
2) the possible convenience would be lost with transportation and everything else?
3) Have any of you have heard of such madness?
4) If you think this is feasible ... where to begin to organize?
While I apologize for my bad way to write in English, do you all my congratulations for this wonderful forum and if anyone cares to visit an Italian forum (I think the first one) I am attaching the link below ... my nick name in Italy is Novecento (twentieth ) the link is:
Amici Della Vela
It would be really nice if some of you being dealt with, even in the old continent is very competent people to go sailing to exchange of opinions, it is also equipped with a simultaneous translator.
Thanks Roberto.
You sound like a guy that has his bones together or has "made his bones". What you think nis what i am curious about as just how much is a 65 ft. sailboat in great condition worth in Italy . Does it have to be a hinkley or Sundeer or Swan to fetch the appreciated value and just what you think the average 60 -80 ft yacht is worth. Cheers