Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2021, 16:27   #241

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: What It Takes to Be in the 1% Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Most property tax systems use the relative value of homes within the grouping at a single point in time to then divide the property tax rates appropriately. If real estate values increase and your home goes up in value the assumption made is that they all went up in value so they continue to use the previous values to go against the mill rate. The principle of the system is that your taxes will only change as the municipality needs more (or less) money to conduct business.

When the periodic reassessment dates happen the mill rate is adjusted to suit so that the increase in value does not artificially inflate the tax rates you pay on your home.

There could be a system out there that works as you describe but it is not widespread nor would it work very well. Your taxes adjust based on the needs and decisions of the relevant government.

State of Wisconsin USA

And if memory serves me the same occurred a couple of decades back in HI when Japanese speculated in real estate and drove prices up significantly in a very short time
Old 24-12-2021, 16:31   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Please share an example of someone starting a large business venture simply by putting in hours and not risking capital.

Apple? Microsoft?
My BIL started a business by leveraging the value of someone else’s work
Old 24-12-2021, 17:26   #243

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Who's giving it? That doesn't really make any sense to me, but maybe you can expound on the idea.

I meant what I wrote: "Since wages are the major way we distribute wealth in our capitalist societies, a better approach is to use laws, policies and regulations to support better wages for all."
Well nobody would be poor at birth if we all got $1M. Everyone is equal. Nobody has an excuse to be poor. Zero money needed for social services or US social security. Nobody has to work, if they did it’s free extra money. Just invest.

I mistook your statement. I was hoping you had some magic idea that’s foolproof and not a big argument.
Old 24-12-2021, 18:21   #244

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Maybe abolish all income tax and have a sliding scale of goods and services tax from necessity to luxury. Add to that a tax for money going overseas and a credit for money coming in.

On top of that a tax credit ratio for employee wages.
Old 24-12-2021, 20:07   #245

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Well nobody would be poor at birth if we all got $1M. Everyone is equal. Nobody has an excuse to be poor. Zero money needed for social services or US social security. Nobody has to work, if they did it’s free extra money. Just invest.
I still don't understand what you're suggesting. Where would this money come from? Are you proposing some sort of guaranteed income program? If so, I'm all ears. My view is that this is inevitable as we move, more and more, to an economy without human jobs.

Quote:
I mistook your statement. I was hoping you had some magic idea that’s foolproof and not a big argument.
There's nothing magical about it. Support workers' wages through a host of labour laws like strong minimum wages, unemployment safety nets, and encouragement of collective action. We did all this before, following the 1920s/30s disasters. This led to the greatest boost in economic productivity in our history, while greatly flattening the distribution of wealth in our societies.

There's no magic. Just a desire to make the economy work for the majority.
Old 24-12-2021, 20:20   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
If "no one paid anything close to those rates", how and why did their "cratering" cause WWII?
It didn't WWII caused the cratering. You have cause and effect reversed.
Old 24-12-2021, 20:24   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
That all makes good sense and fits the smell test other than 1% owning 94% of the wealth. I cannot conceive of any way this could be accurate so I will do some research on my holidays and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the work J
Mike Oreilles' link suggested top 10% control around 80-85%.
Old 24-12-2021, 20:29   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Apple? Microsoft?
My BIL started a business by leveraging the value of someone else’s work
Try again. In the early days, the capital was small but they still invested capital.

So your BIL took out a loan to get capital to start his business?
Old 24-12-2021, 20:32   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Maybe abolish all income tax and have a sliding scale of goods and services tax from necessity to luxury. Add to that a tax for money going overseas and a credit for money coming in.
This is basically the idea behind a flat VAT tax (all other taxes abolished and prohibited).

There are set asides for food and medicine...they aren't taxed. This is what many state sales tax systems already do. (maybe add a base amount for housing also)

With this scenario, the poor will pay very little taxes as most of their spending is covered under the set asides.

The rich on the other hand would have most of their spending taxed and the uber rich would have a much more difficult time not paying taxes.
Old 24-12-2021, 20:36   #250

Quote:

This has the same problem as raising the minimum wage...all it does is drive inflation. Lots of dollars chasing a limited supply raises prices.

Also what happens when the foolish burn thru their $1mil by the time they are 20? Look at sports, movie and rock stars...when the good times are over a large percentage of them are bankrupt within 5yrs. Same for winning the lottery.
Old 24-12-2021, 20:37   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
sure. 0.08 percent .. or 42 million people in the world are considered to hold billionaire status. but really that is what we know about .. I suspect that number is a lot larger.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1879723...ntage-economy/
According to wikipedia (take it for what it's worth), there are 2755 billionaires.

There might be a few hidden ones and you get odd scenarios like political potentates who technically own their countries but I doubt it's off by millions.
Old 24-12-2021, 20:49   #252

What It Takes to Be in the 1% Around the World

Quote:
Try again. In the early days, the capital was small but they still invested capital.

So your BIL took out a loan to get capital to start his business?

He borrowed money he didn’t have against things he didn’t own

Try that if your working minimum wage
Old 24-12-2021, 20:58   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
He borrowed money he didn’t have against things he didn’t own
So he obtained capital and put it at risk.

He would still owe on the loans even if the business went belly up.

Could he wind up bankrupt if the business fails...sure thing.

And as far as apple and MS, once they started to expand, they rolled a lot of capital back into the business to grow it. Also those who invested early put capital into it in terms for a share of ownership.
Old 25-12-2021, 05:21   #254

Boat: J/88

Quote:
This is basically the idea behind a flat VAT tax (all other taxes abolished and prohibited).

There are set asides for food and medicine...they aren't taxed. This is what many state sales tax systems already do. (maybe add a base amount for housing also)

With this scenario, the poor will pay very little taxes as most of their spending is covered under the set asides.

The rich on the other hand would have most of their spending taxed and the uber rich would have a much more difficult time not paying taxes.
The biggest risk of this system is the way it becomes a disincentive to spending which then limits the revenue side. In addition, our version of equity in the taxation system has morphed from each paying a share to each paying a share in proportion to our ability to pay. This concept requires us to limit the contributions made by the low income sectors.
Old 25-12-2021, 06:27   #255

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
There's nothing magical about it. Support workers' wages through a host of labour laws like strong minimum wages, unemployment safety nets, and encouragement of collective action. We did all this before, following the 1920s/30s disasters. This led to the greatest boost in economic productivity in our history, while greatly flattening the distribution of wealth in our societies.
I just don't see how that would work.

As an aside, your (multiple) comments about how people support themselves as technology replaces humans is the most astute and frightening question. New York State has moved from an industrial region to what they call "service." And these days in NYS, millions are employed either directly or indirectly in "services" for the plethora of things-that-must-be-licensed, social services, insurance, medical, etc. I think this is more the result of the nature of bureaucracies to grow rather than intelligent design.

Back on the topic, in NYS we already have a "living wage" in the form of minimum wage, substantial subsidies, free schooling, and medical that's pro-rated. In many areas there is subsidized housing and/or rent control.

Proponents of raising minimum wage in NYS say that the $12.50/hr is poverty level. They're basing that on 40 hrs/wk, with one breadwinner. They don't ever include the monetary value of the free subsidies enjoyed by minimum wage earners.

If we use their minimum wage and apply it to my family, my 65 hrs/week equate to $42,250. Add the wife's 45 hours and that's a total of $71,500. Add junior, who's working 60 hrs/wk, and we have a household income of $110,500. At minimum wage.

Where I don't see a higher minimum wage (by collective bargaining, state mandate, whatever) working is what happens to those worth more? Yes, worth more- working harder to get advanced education and providing a higher level of contribution. If minimum wage is increased (however it's done) to $60,000 per worker, why the hell would I go through seven years of university and then night school, and then work 60 hours a week for $80,000? Hint: I wouldn't. So if I can do nothing and get $60,000 per annum, what would the industry have to pay to get me to invest time in education and hard work?
Closed Thread

Tags
round the world