Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2011, 09:43   #46

Re: Whatever Happened to Robin Lee Graham ?

Hi Did you ever get around to making a DVD of The Dove ? Or, can you please help me to locate a copy?

Peter
minuet2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 05:42   #47

Hi, I just find the movie at Netflix.com and you can watch it on line, but you must be a suscriber. If you are not member, you can join a free 30 days membership and watch the movie.
albertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 13:07   #48

Thank you so much for letting me know about this link, however i am no able to watch this online unless i live in the united states and i live in australia. Best regards, Peter
minuet2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 20:34   #49

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Couple of interviews I found that touch on what came after the big trip.

When Teen Sailor Robin Lee Graham Came Home from His Epic Voyage, the Really Rough Weather Began : People.com

Robin Lee Graham on the Latest Teen Circumnavs
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 23:11   #50

Boat: CSY33

There is a third book no one has mentioned. My copy is in storage so I am going by aged memory that it is called "The Boy Who Sailed Around the World Alone". Written for young people, it was wide, about 13x9 inches and heavy on the pictures, mostly full or nearly full page pix.

One aspect of the story I appreciated, as related in "Dove", was how he came to stand up to his father, and Nat'l Geo, and took control of his voyage, and his life.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:44   #51

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

Netflix has it on streaming. watched it a few months ago.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:00   #52

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

I can get a copy of Dove from some outfit in Hollywood, they can make a DVD of anything. It cost about $50. It was not a very good movie. not worth $50.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:21   #53

I had him on my Facebook friend list for a while. As far as I know, he and Patti are doing great in MT. Quimby is a nurse I think. I don't know what Ben does. I have The Dove on VHS but my husband made it into a DVD, so the quality is just so-so but I have it, so I'm happy. I have all three of his books and in fact, my son is reading his kids' book right now. He loves it!
Seabeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:31   #54

Boat: Cape George 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
There is a third book no one has mentioned. My copy is in storage so I am going by aged memory that it is called "The Boy Who Sailed Around the World Alone". Written for young people, it was wide, about 13x9 inches and heavy on the pictures, mostly full or nearly full page pix.
That's the one that got me hooked. Read it at about age 10. Wish I knew where it was.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 21:42   #55

Boat: too many

I'm another he hooked. He is 3 years older and I read both Dove and all the Nat Geo on him. His influence has stayed with me to this day, graduating from CMA and turning my passion into a profession. I'm retired now and caring for my 92 year old dad which I hope to do for 10 more years. So I'll be 70 before I can get back to the sea on my terms, and not the shipping companies.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 00:07   #56

Boat: The Search Is On!

Just watched the show its a 70s show for sure however full of wonderful sailing footage. I live in Montana, I wonder if he is up to sailing on Flat Head Lake for fun..?
blueyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:32   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post

Thank you for posting these articles. I have had both versions of the book for many years, 'The Boy Who Sailed Around the World Alone' (the clean version but with so many fantastic photos and copies of Robin's sketches & mud maps) and 'Dove' (the warts and all version). I also have the 3 original NG editions.
What is insightful from the first People article and important to incorporate into the total picture of Robin's amazing achievement, is the hard time he had adjusting back into 'normal' life, depression, etc. This really is not surprising given his age when he started his voyage, the loneliness he endured for years, being pushed to finish by his Dad and NG when after 3 years he'd had enough, and the fact that he had to deal with being thrust in the limelight, being a Dad and after 5 years, a landlubber all at once upon his return to Long Beach, CA!
It is good to read he and his family are doing well. As this thread is testament to - he has inspired many thousands of young & old alike to pursue their dreams. A truly remarkable tale. I cherish the books and NG copies.
To think, he had no modern technology, no GPS, no Sat Phone, no lap top, no connection to the outside world other than a marine radio receiver AND a very small coastal cruiser. It was an innocent time and he was only a boy when he set off.....
Truly inspiring and and an account of a world that unfortunately no longer exists.

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:56   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Darn that Robin Graham. It was reading his story way back in National Geographic that got me thinking about sailing all those years ago. Had boats a fair part of my life. Though there was that part in the middle, where I was landlocked. But I did find my way back to the sea.

Thank You Robin for showing me the thrill of adventure.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 20:04   #59
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Add me to the list of those who were lured to sea by Robin and The Dove...

Many fond memories of reading the book on summer days, and dreaming...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:24   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

FYI. Dove II, the Allied Luders 33 that Robin finished the circumnavigation on, has been floating around Hawaii for at least a decade. It's gone through several owners, think I've seen it listed at least 3 times over the years. It was rehabbed 10 or so years ago but apparently not had much love and care in the last few years. It was back on the market earlier this year for $15,000. I thought about buying it because of the nostalgia factor and I really like the Luders 33 lines. My wife didn't share my enthusiasm, strange how women can't appreciate the need for two boats at once, so let it pass. it sold a couple of months ago and assume it was under $15,000 as it was on the market for quite a while.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote