Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2011, 08:46   #121

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
Re: Where and How Do You Get The Money

hmmmm. I work 8:30-4:30 (close to 9-5). I bought a smaller boat 3 years ago. I am saving for a 35' or so. During the next five years I will be working on my instructors certificate. In 2015 I will buy my liveaboard, teach sailing 6 months of the year. Do contract work the other 6 months. With moorage at CD$3000 a year and electric at $300 a year, my housing expenses for the boat are minimal - (Rent/power/phone/internet for an apartment is about CD$14000 year minimum). Leaves a lot of wiggle room in the budget. 2020 I can receive my pension (full pension) or 2015 (70% pension - early retirment). I have a friend in Florida and one in Aruba and one in Belize, all have offered accommodations if I sail down there.
Teach sailing, facilitate self-improvement workshops P/T (lifeskills, employment skills...), day sail excursions for non-sailors. Doable if I just live frugally.

PS - 5 years ago unemployed, state income, drunk all the time, existing on $7000 year.
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 11:32   #122

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Where and How Do You Get The Money

A lot of interesting posts. What is working for me is, 1. stop spending, cut to essentials. 2. pay off debt. 3. put money into investments, (once you put money into investment don't ever take it out, remember if you didn't invest you wouldn't have that money anyway it would already have been spent). 4 Don't buy depreciating assets, (like new cars, furnature, etc...).

I find debates about the stock market and real estate irrelevant, if you don't invest your losses are 100%. Your biggest losses will always be the stuff you bought for retail that will someday be taking up space in a landfill. I lost 80% in the last stock market crash, so what! I still have 20% more than my coworkers you never put a dime in the stock market, someday my stocks will go back up, their new Lexus never will. And I will buy it just a couple of years from now for cents on the dollar.

If you only buy assets that have intrinsic value, and make your savings a one way street, I only sell an investment to buy another one. Your wealth can only go up.

My net worth has gone from negative to over 1/2 mill in 10 years. I put in some 16 hour days to get there. In 5 more years I'll see you out there, good luck.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money